Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

1. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    The "splash hire" angle is not relevant here.

It is fair to say that the hiring of CMD caused a letdown in the fan base. It was not because CMD wasn't a splash hire. It is because CMD wasn't as qualified as countless, higher profile candidates who were themselves not really splash hires either.

We didn't need a splash hire big name to keep momentum going in the fan base. We just needed someone hired that that ticked all the boxes of a known, up and coming coach.

Having said that, this is no excuse to quit supporting the program. I get being upset for a while, but sooner or later, reality should have dictated that CMD is one of our own and let's circle the pirogues.

The fact that this hasn't happened yet is a shame on our community and the cULture. We should be better than this.
    Balanced view

jmo

2. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

It is fair to say that the hiring of CMD caused a letdown in the fan base. It was not because CMD wasn't a splash hire. It is because CMD wasn't as qualified as countless, higher profile candidates who were themselves not really splash hires either.

We didn't need a splash hire big name to keep momentum going in the fan base. We just needed someone hired that that ticked all the boxes of a known, up and coming coach.

Having said that, this is no excuse to quit supporting the program. I get being upset for a while, but sooner or later, reality should have dictated that CMD is one of our own and let's circle the pirogues.

The fact that this hasn't happened yet is a shame on our community and the cULture. We should be better than this.
    I love your fandom. It should be adopted by more if they really want to make a difference.

Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    And? Your _ is still blazing. Came here just to exercise it.
    Actually, this is just me pointing out that you are once again manipulating the conversation to be about one of three topics you like to vector everything towards. Come on man, let people talk. There's no requirement for every thread to have a mention of the budget for CMD's hire.

Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    When Billy was hired we were a top 25 team coming of a 31-1 season. The job had grown so pay should have grown.
    You mean when Des was hired right? Because we were not a Top 25 team when Billy was hired.

Good grief, this nonsense again...

We had a team that was on the doorstep of competing for a NY6 bowl and future playoff berths. We lost our coach and the university basically said "well that was fun, huh!? We got close! Alright now back to business as usual."

Dez is not a "known and up and coming" coach. He was an assistant here, and he played football. That's his experience.
    Sure.. he's one of us.. but that "us" is shrinking FAST. That's what thirty years of not giving a s*** about students will do for you.

This isn't the 20th century where kids were praying to be lucky enough to get accepted to UL. Everyone goes to college now, and they pay alot more money to the university, graduate with 50k in student loans and THEN and ONLY THEN does Martin Hall want to interact with them to ask for donations.

UL does next to nothing to engage with the community and make the people of Lafayette feel like they are part of the Cajuns success. So why should anyone -- student, alumni, or just a citizen of Lafayette -- give a crap about the school that only acknowledges them when they need money?

Every single thing that comes out of the UL "marketing department" sounds/reads like disingenuous Soviet-era propaganda. Even this announcement today... $8m deficit but let's spin it into an article about a $2 billion economic impact! Outside of the KATC comment section, people aren't THAT stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Absolutely. The good old days. When we actually had a real fanbase and a city that was engaged.
    Yes, and we had no championships, no bowl games and no televised games. The GOLDEN ERA! But what the heck, we sure knew how to tailgate and do the roster dance. BTW, how is that FCS working out for McNeese St right now? I'm sure you can get cheap tickets in Lake Charles and maybe even a parking pass for $5 dollars. Enjoy the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    You mean when Des was hired right? Because we were not a Top 25 team when Billy was hired.
    Yes. I was all discombobulated when I typed that.

We were a different program from the Billy hire to the Des hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Yes. I was all discombobulated when I typed that.

We were a different program from the Billy hire to the Des hire.
    Yes, stay away from Longneckers. No more discombobulations

While I personally give and attend partially because I think I should and it’s the right thing to do, it is high time our admin divorced from this line of thinking in terms of running a business. We’re never gonna get people to treat this as a moral obligation. We are competing for their entertainment dollar. Look at McNeese basketball. People didn’t magically wake up one day and decide they should support the program they’ve largely ignored the last 30+ years. McNeese finally gave them something they were willing to spend their money on. It’s disheartening to see the amount of longtime fans I’ve seen walk away over the last few years. It’s equally disheartening to watch our floundering administration be completely incapable or unwilling to reengage them (it’s mainly unwilling).

I would love to do a sample of 100 exit interviews on graduation day.

How fond are you of your time here?
    Are you likely to continue attending sporting events?
    Are you likely to continue giving money to the school?

I would bet big money that the answers would be overwhelmingly negative.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    it is high time our admin divorced from this line of thinking in terms of running a business. We’re never gonna get people to treat this as a moral obligation. We are competing for their entertainment dollar.
    Right.. and this isn't 20 years ago when Cajun Field was the most fun you could have on a Saturday. Any given weekend you're competing with 100s of restaurants, 100s of bars, Top Golf, D&B, festivals, concerts, games on TV, and a title contender 60 miles away.

To continue to put out the same tired ass product from 30 years ago, weekend after weekend, and expect people to attend simply because it's there, shows either an amazing lack of awareness or complete apathy.

While I personally give and attend partially because I think I should and it’s the right thing to do, it is high time our admin divorced from this line of thinking in terms of running a business. We’re never gonna get people to treat this as a moral obligation. We are competing for their entertainment dollar. Look at McNeese basketball. People didn’t magically wake up one day and decide they should support the program they’ve largely ignored the last 30+ years. McNeese finally gave them something they were willing to spend their money on. It’s disheartening to see the amount of longtime fans I’ve seen walk away over the last few years. It’s equally disheartening to watch our floundering administration be completely incapable or unwilling to reengage them (it’s mainly unwilling).
    It's no longer a moral obligation nor is it a charity. It's entertainment which means the sporting events now compete with the Topgolf's, Dave and Buster's, Moncus Park's, and festivals of the area. It's now a competition. What are we doing to attract those people to our events over those other places?

The issue is that there's people in the admin that saw the Napier era and believed that the crowds didn't pan out as they hoped for like the early Hudspeth era. What they're missing is that an 8-win season was unheard of in our history when Hud started that run where we had already seen that by the time Napier came around. Add in COVID, increased tailgate costs, and the midweek home games; and we ended up averaging just over 20k during a top 25 run in 2021.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Sometimes when you roll out a new plan, one can't expect people to just flock to the idea at the start. It takes time to simmer within the community. Rhythms on the River never started out as this "to-do" in Lafayette. It took time and caught on before eventually becoming a cool attraction for the locals. We need to try this same approach here. It can't hurt at this point.

***I notice that jax and I have the same way of thinking on this as I read his post above lol

I have a great idea, lets go up on baseball season tickets next year.

The oil field is booming, there is no inflation.

Grocery and gas prices are not high at all.

Perfect timing to increase prices on life long season ticket holders!

Do these people know how much it cost a family of four to go to a game?

Who in their right mind would suggest such a thing.

McNeese arguably is having their best MBB ever. You’d think their arena would be packed. Nope, not even close. Under 3k average. WW already pleaded for fans, now their SID.

“McNeese is averaging nearly 2,900 fans per home game, more than 1,200 more than the next conference team. And its 65% capacity mark is ranked in the top 65 in the nation. In Southland games only, that average rises to almost 4,000 per game. Seating capacity in Legacy is 4,200.”

https://mcneesesports.com/news/2024/...UAJEYTQl2nupWI

Using capacity % as a measuring stick is a fallacy with small arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    It's no longer a moral obligation nor is it a charity. It's entertainment which means the sporting events now compete with the Topgolf's, Dave and Buster's, Moncus Park's, and festivals of the area. It's now a competition. What are we doing to attract those people to our events over those other places?

The issue is that there's people in the admin that saw the Napier era and believed that the crowds didn't pan out as they hoped for like the early Hudspeth era. What they're missing is that an 8-win season was unheard of in our history when Hud started that run where we had already seen that by the time Napier came around. Add in COVID, increased tailgate costs, and the midweek home games; and we ended up averaging just over 20k during a top 25 run in 2021.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Sometimes when you roll out a new plan, one can't expect people to just flock to the idea at the start. It takes time to simmer within the community. Rhythms on the River never started out as this "to-do" in Lafayette. It took time and caught on before eventually becoming a cool attraction for the locals. We need to try this same approach here. It can't hurt at this point.

***I notice that jax and I have the same way of thinking on this as I read his post above lol
    I agree with your first sentence. But there is nothing new about your second sentence when it comes to other interest in the area although it may be for you now because you have a child. Many of us had dance recitals, soccer tournaments, volleyball, softball, baseball and Tykwon do for a number of years. There was always the Crawfish Festival, Festival Acadian, Mardi Gras and many others. The golf courses were always there as well as Cart Ranch and many other activities. In the end, most of the time I still found my way to Cajun Field. Not out of obligation, because I love college football and the Ragin' Cajuns. That has not changed for the most part, and family obligations are exactly that, but otherwise I was at Cajun Field. You will have to make choices just like the rest of us, but the entertainment options have always been there and outside of sports, family events and dance recitals, you will have to make decisions. As for new concepts for this area like Dave & Busters, they were available to visit on family trips from Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego and other destinations.

For me it's simple, I never needed a mascot, fun jumps or other activities for my kids to come to games or tailgate when they didn't have other obligations. I was there because I love college football and the Ragin Cajuns. I really didn't want to be anywhere else outside of my children sports events.

Now I'm not saying those attractions aren't necessarily needed for some to come and make it a family event or grow attendance. So, I guess I am old school but my family that attended Arkansas Razorbacks games, LSU games or even McNeese games never needed mascots or fun jumps to attend games, they loved their college football.

My point, there is different levels of fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    McNeese arguably is having their best MBB ever. You’d think their arena would be packed. Nope, not even close. Under 3k average. WW already pleaded for fans, now their SID.

“McNeese is averaging nearly 2,900 fans per home game, more than 1,200 more than the next conference team. And its 65% capacity mark is ranked in the top 65 in the nation. In Southland games only, that average rises to almost 4,000 per game. Seating capacity in Legacy is 4,200.”

https://mcneesesports.com/news/2024/...UAJEYTQl2nupWI

Using capacity % as a measuring stick is a fallacy with small arenas.
    1,200 more than your next closest conference peer is nothing to sneeze at. Go back and look at some of the attendance figures from when McNeese was playing in Burton. 4K fans at a McNeese basketball game is a huge achievement.

That 2,900 number is currently being held down by 4 early season games against non-D1 opponents. It’s only going up.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information