Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I see Icegators brought up a lot, I don't think a passion for ice hockey was required to sellout the Cajundome.
    Needed a passion for wrasslin' on ice.

2. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Not like they can charge more for tickets to fill that gap. No one goes now.

Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    When I read this paragraph, I am sitting here scratching my head wondering if we are living in the same universe. "The products have stayed the same for 30 years?" So, are we talking about the product on the Football Field, Baseball Diamond or Softball Field? Or are we talking about ancillary products like concessions, music, mascots, etc. Because outside of the last two years under Desormeaux and the last few years under Hudspeth this has been the greatest run of football success in the modern era for this program. You were on the sideline during the Bustle and Hudspeth era, but you lost your passion? I have a hard time connecting the two considering the mediocrity of the product at times, coming from the vast waste land of obscurity under Baldwin. The Softball and Baseball product and experience are still very good.

When you say this is an evolving industry, I don't disagree with you. But we knew what kind of financial commitment would have to be made after the Mike Alden came in and showed Dr. Savoy what it would take financially to compete and grow the Ragin' Cajun athletic program. You had first-hand knowledge of this because your family member was right in the middle of that change and transition. We were decades behind App. State and Georgia Southern in moving this program forward. Most people on this board complaining today about cost were the same ones agreeing that many of Alden's recommendations needed to happen to move us on from the Dr. Authement era. There is a direct correlation between funding and the success of Billy Napier winning a championship and being ranked two consecutive seasons in the Top 25. He doesn't accomplish any of it if he doesn't get the financial funding for his staff and support staff. So, let's not pretend there has not been massive improvement in this athletic department from the past 30 years. By any fair measurement this program is light years from where it started after Alden was hired.

Do I think there have been some mistakes made and decisions that I don't agree with along the way? Sure, but have you built your business without any mistakes made in hindsight? I don't dismiss your concerns or anyone else's that have been here supporting this program through the transition from Dr. Authement era to today. Again, my passion has been driven by winning and the ancillary services are secondary to me. I'm not suggesting those are not important when you are raising cost, but we all seem to focus on the negative too much at times and not how far will have come and where we need to be going forward. It all cost money, just like building a house.
    Thanks, T. Sincerely.

I'll buy an extra water for you at the next home game.

If there is a direct correlation between funding and winning, what happened with Dez-E-Mo?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    The "splash hire" angle is not relevant here.

It is fair to say that the hiring of CMD caused a letdown in the fan base. It was not because CMD wasn't a splash hire. It is because CMD wasn't as qualified as countless, higher profile candidates who were themselves not really splash hires either.

We didn't need a splash hire big name to keep momentum going in the fan base. We just needed someone hired that that ticked all the boxes of a known, up and coming coach.

Having said that, this is no excuse to quit supporting the program. I get being upset for a while, but sooner or later, reality should have dictated that CMD is one of our own and let's circle the pirogues.

The fact that this hasn't happened yet is a shame on our community and the cULture. We should be better than this.
    I don't want to bad mouth one of our own, but what public engagement is CMD doing? I know it's nowhere near the engagement that Hud brought. Seems like it may even be less than what Bustle did. Where is Mike getting out in the public eye? I honestly only see him on the billboard at Congress and Bertrand on my morning/afternoon commute. Shame on one of our own for not embracing his community???

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I don't want to bad mouth one of our own, but what public engagement is CMD doing? I know it's nowhere near the engagement that Hud brought. Seems like it may even be less than what Bustle did. Where is Mike getting out in the public eye? I honestly only see him on the billboard at Congress and Bertrand on my morning/afternoon commute. Shame on one of our own for not embracing his community???
    I've been saying for the past few months that it is time for the bus tours that we used to do. The community engagement is not there like it used to be.

7. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Bustle was great about doing tours.

He also tailgated with fans, after ever single home game.

I agree.

CMD needs to loosen up and get out there. A goodwill Crawfish Boil Tour would do wonders in rebuilding our community. Meeting with local KC chapters and other social clubs is what is needed.

9. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

I agree.

CMD needs to loosen up and get out there. A goodwill Crawfish Boil Tour would do wonders in rebuilding our community. Meeting with local KC chapters and other social clubs is what is needed.
    With crawfish at $13 a pound, might have to boil shrimp or crabs this year.

I agree.

Shake hands and kiss babies. Treat it like a political campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Shake hands and kiss babies. Treat it like a political campaign.
    https://www.explorelouisiana.com/fes...egories%3A1916

Admin is scared people won't show up to their events ... then go to the people

He obviously does what’s comfortable to him, has his own style. Maybe it simply isn’t in his DNA. Whatever the issue, the entire department needs all hands on deck.

Community service hours are great. But the disenfranchised isn’t your fan base.

Curiosity question…a few semesters back, the grads received UL Alumni auto license trim plates? Was that a one time thing or still happening? Thought was a great move, payoff down the road.

Supply and demand is such a simple concept that it blows my mind that the supply of seats, tailgating spots, etc. keeps increasing yearly and the prices either stay the same or increase. It's maddening to watch in real time over the years.

RCAF numbers are atrocious and I do not see a path for growth with their current model and lack of effort to execute.

It takes a lot of effort to get people to join RCAF. Then after they got it rolling, they started changing things like: an RCAF donation will no longer get you a parking pass, parking passes are now $60. People used to give to the RCAF for little perks like parking passes. You can't ask people to pay a membership fee so they can be granted the right to spend more money. Just increase the fee and give them a dang parking pass.

I could go one for hours about how f"d up tailgating has become. We once had one of the best tailgates in the country which the RCAF ruined in record time. Most other tailgates are first come, first served and people get out there early to secure their spot. We charge some of the highest tailgating fees in the country (not talking about turnkey tailgating where tents, tables, chairs, coolers, etc. are provided), I'm talking about a section of grass with nothing on it

I don't want to bad mouth one of our own, but what public engagement is CMD doing?
    I understand Coach Des isn't a rah-rah guy like Hud, but it is ridiculous to watch him doing TV commercials with local attorneys but not on TV asking fans to come out to Cajun Field? That is not a good look.

I understand it is expensive to run an athletic department, but it is even more expensive when you consistently make poor decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Supply and demand is such a simple concept that it blows my mind that the supply of seats, tailgating spots, etc. keeps increasing yearly and the prices either stay the same or increase. It's maddening to watch in real time over the years.

RCAF numbers are atrocious and I do not see a path for growth with their current model and lack of effort to execute.

It takes a lot of effort to get people to join RCAF. Then after they got it rolling, they started changing things like: an RCAF donation will no longer get you a parking pass, parking passes are now $60. People used to give to the RCAF for little perks like parking passes. Now you have to pay extra for the once free perks.

I could go one for hours about how f"d up tailgating has become. We once had one of the best tailgates in the country which the RCAF ruined in record time. Most other tailgates are first come, first served and people get out there early to secure their spot. We charge some of the highest tailgating fees in the country (not talking about turnkey tailgating where tents, tables, chairs, coolers, etc. are provided), I'm talking about a section of grass with nothing on it

I understand Coach Des isn't a rah-rah guy like Hud, but it is ridiculous to watch him doing TV commercials with local attorneys but not on TV asking fans to come out to Cajun Field? That is not a good look.

I understand it is expensive to run an athletic department, but it is even more expensive when you consistently make poor decisions.
    Amen, great post

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information