Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I don’t even click on their articles anymore, but I checked the online version. Stopped counting at 7 tsab stories to 1 UL. And it was about the finances.

While we pretty much live in a world where people get their news electronically, this lack of coverage has to contribute to UL’s decreasing visibility in its own region. No radio, no paper, still some local tv coverage. You’re missing people. How many? Who knows.

The problems run a lot deeper than that, of course. Thank goodness we’ve been winning and staying relevant in most sports. But how long can you sustain it when you’re taking a financial loss year after year?

…and not just the financial losses. You have an administration that knew we had a problem last year and didn’t make any recognizable changes the next year! So, what will you do about it now now that your jobs may be at stake?
    You are correct. Just Google "Ragin Cajun Football or Basketball" and it's hard to find consumable content outside of Ragin Review.

Shout out to Ragin Review!

Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Rock View Post
    I have a great idea, lets go up on baseball season tickets next year.

The oil field is booming, there is no inflation.

Grocery and gas prices are not high at all.

Perfect timing to increase prices on life long season ticket holders!

Do these people know how much it cost a family of four to go to a game?

Who in their right mind would suggest such a thing.

I know that is sarcasm and I agree with the sentiment of your post in regards to price increases

but fortunately the local oil field business seems to be in it's best shape since around 2014 (or at least parts of it)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I agree with your first sentence. But there is nothing new about your second sentence when it comes to other interest in the area although it may be for you now because you have a child. Many of us had dance recitals, soccer tournaments, volleyball, softball, baseball and Tykwon do for a number of years. There was always the Crawfish Festival, Festival Acadian, Mardi Gras and many others. The golf courses were always there as well as Cart Ranch and many other activities. In the end, most of the time I still found my way to Cajun Field. Not out of obligation, because I love college football and the Ragin' Cajuns. That has not changed for the most part, and family obligations are exactly that, but otherwise I was at Cajun Field. You will have to make choices just like the rest of us, but the entertainment options have always been there and outside of sports, family events and dance recitals, you will have to make decisions. As for new concepts for this area like Dave & Busters, they were available to visit on family trips from Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego and other destinations.

For me it's simple, I never needed a mascot, fun jumps or other activities for my kids to come to games or tailgate when they didn't have other obligations. I was there because I love college football and the Ragin Cajuns. I really didn't want to be anywhere else outside of my children sports events.

Now I'm not saying those attractions aren't necessarily needed for some to come and make it a family event or grow attendance. So, I guess I am old school but my family that attended Arkansas Razorbacks games, LSU games or even McNeese games never needed mascots or fun jumps to attend games, they loved their college football.

My point, there is different levels of fandom.
    What you're saying was that there was a passion that attracted you to the games. The problem here is that we don't have the generation of fans that share that same passion as your generation did. Add in all of the different levels of cost that never existed during the 1980s and 1990s from parking to tailgate, and now an ordinary family has trouble affording it with having the same passion to show up. Now, that does not mean those costs aren't necessary because we do need to make money. But the harsh reality is that we are charging prime rib prices for roast beef meat in gameday experience. And that's why people are spending their money elsewhere.

Like Jax mentioned, our biggest mistake in all of this is that we are putting price tags on products that have stayed the same over the last 30 years. What attracts people to Rhythms on the River and Festivals are the atmospheres. We don't even allow the atmosphere to happen unless we pay a premium to even get into that atmosphere. All in all, this is an evolving industry in college sports that we seem to have no adapted to. Other schools in the conference are figuring it out which is why our attendance in football and basketball are in the bottom 5. There's something that is not resonating in the program right now. Just a basic observation.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    But the harsh reality is that we are charging prime rib prices for roast beef meat in gameday experience. And that's why people are spending their money elsewhere.
    Agree with your entire post.. and to use your analogy, I have a bad feeling that the 'solution' they will come up with is to fix up the restaurant to make it more of a fine dining experience, charge prime rib (or higher) prices, and continue to serve roast beef

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Agree with your entire post.. and to use your analogy, I have a bad feeling that the 'solution' they will come up with is to fix up the restaurant to make it more of a fine dining experience, charge prime rib (or higher) prices, and continue to serve roast beef
    That’s exactly what they will do.

6. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

I agree with your first sentence. But there is nothing new about your second sentence when it comes to other interest in the area although it may be for you now because you have a child. Many of us had dance recitals, soccer tournaments, volleyball, softball, baseball and Tykwon do for a number of years. There was always the Crawfish Festival, Festival Acadian, Mardi Gras and many others. The golf courses were always there as well as Cart Ranch and many other activities. In the end, most of the time I still found my way to Cajun Field. Not out of obligation, because I love college football and the Ragin' Cajuns. That has not changed for the most part, and family obligations are exactly that, but otherwise I was at Cajun Field. You will have to make choices just like the rest of us, but the entertainment options have always been there and outside of sports, family events and dance recitals, you will have to make decisions. As for new concepts for this area like Dave & Busters, they were available to visit on family trips from Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego and other destinations.

For me it's simple, I never needed a mascot, fun jumps or other activities for my kids to come to games or tailgate when they didn't have other obligations. I was there because I love college football and the Ragin Cajuns. I really didn't want to be anywhere else outside of my children sports events.

Now I'm not saying those attractions aren't necessarily needed for some to come and make it a family event or grow attendance. So, I guess I am old school but my family that attended Arkansas Razorbacks games, LSU games or even McNeese games never needed mascots or fun jumps to attend games, they loved their college football.

My point, there is different levels of fandom.
    Great perspective.

7. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Why would OLOL and the other major stadium renovation donors move forward with their substantial financial commitments if they have even a feeling that the 'solution' MH will come up with is to fix up the stadium, charge prime rib (or higher) prices, and continue to serve roast beef.

And if such donors don’t believe that, why would anyone here post things to try and convince them to do so?

What is the advantage a poster believes he/she will gain for their university by such a course of action?

Please walk us through that thought process.

8. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I can tell you exactly what is going on. Perfect example is the Icegators.

When they changed the tailgate, ticket prices, and the overall experience, and over charging the average fan said I am done.

Same with the Icegators. Now you have to make good with the public.

The University will have to work work double to get these fans back.

They going to have to get out in the public domain they going to have to meet people shake people hands. They going to have to revamp tailgating, they going to have to actually get out in the community and invite them back into Cajun Field

This situation a new stadium will not fix, putting things on Facebook, or Twitter will not fix.

Until they start doing a complete change on how they look at fans. Only then it will start turning around.

I don’t think they will ever figure it out
    This!!! These so called business experts forgot the law of supply and demand!!!! Empty stadiums and parking lots ain’t paying the bills. They sure as hell aren’t helping the gameday atmosphere and player recruitment. Nobody wants to play in front of an oil painting.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post

Like Jax mentioned, our biggest mistake in all of this is that we are putting price tags on products that have stayed the same over the last 30 years. What attracts people to Rhythms on the River and Festivals are the atmospheres. We don't even allow the atmosphere to happen unless we pay a premium to even get into that atmosphere. All in all, this is an evolving industry in college sports that we seem to have no adapted to. Other schools in the conference are figuring it out which is why our attendance in football and basketball are in the bottom 5. There's something that is not resonating in the program right now. Just a basic observation.

When I read this paragraph, I am sitting here scratching my head wondering if we are living in the same universe. "The products have stayed the same for 30 years?" So, are we talking about the product on the Football Field, Baseball Diamond or Softball Field? Or are we talking about ancillary products like concessions, music, mascots, etc. Because outside of the last two years under Desormeaux and the last few years under Hudspeth this has been the greatest run of football success in the modern era for this program. You were on the sideline during the Bustle and Hudspeth era, but you lost your passion? I have a hard time connecting the two considering the mediocrity of the product at times, coming from the vast waste land of obscurity under Baldwin. The Softball and Baseball product and experience are still very good.

When you say this is an evolving industry, I don't disagree with you. But we knew what kind of financial commitment would have to be made after the Mike Alden came in and showed Dr. Savoy what it would take financially to compete and grow the Ragin' Cajun athletic program. You had first-hand knowledge of this because your family member was right in the middle of that change and transition. We were decades behind App. State and Georgia Southern in moving this program forward. Most people on this board complaining today about cost were the same ones agreeing that many of Alden's recommendations needed to happen to move us on from the Dr. Authement era. There is a direct correlation between funding and the success of Billy Napier winning a championship and being ranked two consecutive seasons in the Top 25. He doesn't accomplish any of it if he doesn't get the financial funding for his staff and support staff. So, let's not pretend there has not been massive improvement in this athletic department from the past 30 years. By any fair measurement this program is light years from where it started after Alden was hired.

Do I think there have been some mistakes made and decisions that I don't agree with along the way? Sure, but have you built your business without any mistakes made in hindsight? I don't dismiss your concerns or anyone else's that have been here supporting this program through the transition from Dr. Authement era to today. Again, my passion has been driven by winning and the ancillary services are secondary to me. I'm not suggesting those are not important when you are raising cost, but we all seem to focus on the negative too much at times and not how far will have come and where we need to be going forward. It all cost money, just like building a house.

10. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

When I read this paragraph, I am sitting here scratching my head wondering if we are living in the same universe. "The products have stayed the same for 30 years?" So, are we talking about the product on the Football Field, Baseball Diamond or Softball Field? Or are we talking about ancillary products like concessions, music, mascots, etc. Because outside of the last two years under Desormeaux and the last few years under Hudspeth this has been the greatest run of football success in the modern era for this program. You were on the sideline during the Bustle and Hudspeth era, but you lost your passion? I have a hard time connecting the two considering the mediocrity of the product at times, coming from the vast waste land of obscurity under Baldwin. The Softball and Baseball product and experience are still very good.

When you say this is an evolving industry, I don't disagree with you. But we knew what kind of financial commitment would have to be made after the Mike Alden came in and showed Dr. Savoy what it would take financially to compete and grow the Ragin' Cajun athletic program. You had first-hand knowledge of this because your family member was right in the middle of that change and transition. We were decades behind App. State and Georgia Southern in moving this program forward. Most people on this board complaining today about cost were the same ones agreeing that many of Alden's recommendations needed to happen to move us on from the Dr. Authement era. There is a direct correlation between funding and the success of Billy Napier winning a championship and being ranked two consecutive seasons in the Top 25. He doesn't accomplish any of it if he doesn't get the financial funding for his staff and support staff. So, let's not pretend there has not been massive improvement in this athletic department from the past 30 years. By any fair measurement this program is light years from where it started after Alden was hired.

Do I think there have been some mistakes made and decisions that I don't agree with along the way? Sure, but have you built your business without any mistakes made in hindsight? I don't dismiss your concerns or anyone else's that have been here supporting this program through the transition from Dr. Authement era to today. Again, my passion has been driven by winning and the ancillary services are secondary to me. I'm not suggesting those are not important when you are raising cost, but we all seem to focus on the negative too much at times and not how far will have come and where we need to be going forward. It all cost money, just like building a house.
    Thanks T.

A passion for football is great and all, but passion alone isn't going to sustain our (or any) college athletic program from here on out. If it did, modern day college athletes wouldn't need creative teams doing photo shoots, NIL opportunities, handwritten letters every month to make them feel important.

The same upcoming generation of fans that we are asking to come to athletic events belong to the same generation of student athletes that require the above. Dr. Maggard credits CMD with being a tireless recruiter. Perhaps it's time for the administration (academic and athletic) to do some tireless recruiting of the community and newer generation of fans that aren't driven on passion of the sport.

I see Icegators brought up a lot, I don't think a passion for ice hockey was required to sellout the Cajundome.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    A passion for football is great and all, but passion alone isn't going to sustain our (or any) college athletic program from here on out. If it did, modern day college athletes wouldn't need creative teams doing photo shoots, NIL opportunities, handwritten letters every month to make them feel important.

The same upcoming generation of fans that we are asking to come to athletic events belong to the same generation of student athletes that require the above. Dr. Maggard credits CMD with being a tireless recruiter. Perhaps it's time for the administration (academic and athletic) to do some tireless recruiting of the community and newer generation of fans that aren't driven on passion of the sport.

I see Icegators brought up a lot, I don't think a passion for ice hockey was required to sellout the Cajundome.
    I don't disagree with anything you stated, but your last sentence is 50% accurate. The Icegators were a novelty to this area and that's all it required for Hockey Fans to come out and watch. Winning early accelerated that interest in the franchise and once it became less of a product while tickets and parking went up the novelty wore off. I had season tickets for a few years, I enjoyed the new experience, but the novelty soon wore off as a hockey game would occasionally break out in-between the WWF events on the ice. I never had a passion for the game like football. Anyone that has ever played the game or loves high school and college football understands exactly what I'm talking about. I never shared that love for ice hockey and many people share that sentiment with me. Football is still #1 in the south.

When talking about products, I am talking about the gameday experience and everything beyond the playing field. The fact of the matter is that the experience has not moved much in the last 30 years in football. If anything, it has gone the opposite way. I definitely understand that we need to make money to generate the revenue to pay for things like coaches salaries and whatnot, and I totally agree that the financial commitment has been light years ahead of where we once were. But the HUGE difference that existed back then and today is the community outreach to local people.

You had mentioned the Bustle years. During the Bustle era, I remember attending a meet and greet in New Orleans (circa 2004) as Coach Bustle, Gerald Hebert, and staff did a presentation of the trajectory of the football program at the time. It was very well attended. I also remember them doing this in other places like Houston and even Baton Rouge(?). They called it "the bus tour" or something of that sort. It was basic community outreach around the area to get people outside of Acadiana involved. They no longer do this. During the Hud era, there was a preseason party at Cypress Bayou Casino to all RCAF members which got fans excited about the upcoming football season. They no longer do this. If anything, the RCAF donation limit was raised to get this invite; and now not many people even go. There were tons of events that were catered to the fans to create involvement that has withered away over the last decade, events that made the community feel included and excited to take part in. And a lot of those times, the end results came with the community pulling out their checkbooks to write checks. If I recall, that was around the same time the RCAF was introduced. Since then, membership has stayed within the same numbers. I see a correlation there.

You know that I am just as passionate as any Cajun fan that posts here or goes to any Cajun sporting event. But I would rather win in a stadium that is more full than half empty. And the way to make the stadium more full is creating opportunities for more local involvement like we used to do.

14. Default Re: Louisiana athletics operated at $8 million deficit during 2023 fiscal year

Acadiana just wants free or below market priced stuff.

The Wildcatters indoor football team played one season in the Dome. Attendance was very marginal until this one game.

I show up and had seats on the rail. By game time, I look back and there are about 7,000 fans in the stands. I knew we had done some type of promotion but was not sure exactly what it was.

When Greg Davis passed by me as the game was starting, I commented that it appeared we had turned the corner. He said, I'm not sure about that, we had about 180 paid for tickets.

The GM was determined to fill the dome and did so by going to all of the local schools and giving away tickets to anyone who would have them.

Moral to the story . . . if you have to give your tickets / parking / concessions away to gain acceptance, you will fail as a business.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Acadiana just wants free or below market priced stuff.

The Wildcatters indoor football team played one season in the Dome. Attendance was very marginal until this one game.

I show up and had seats on the rail. By game time, I look back and there are about 7,000 fans in the stands. I knew we had done some type of promotion but was not sure exactly what it was.

When Greg Davis passed by me as the game was starting, I commented that it appeared we had turned the corner. He said, I'm not sure about that, we had about 180 paid for tickets.

The GM was determined to fill the dome and did so by going to all of the local schools and giving away tickets to anyone who would have them.

Moral to the story . . . if you have to give your tickets / parking / concessions away to gain acceptance, you will fail as a business.
    That's been the ultimate mystery on Reinhardt Drive: How do we get people to show up without making it close to free?

And I say it's time to think outside of the box on that. Be creative. In Acadiana, we are a different country when it comes to this kind of stuff. The problem is that the current model isn't working. People aren't showing up.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information