Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Encourages Everyone to Support Louisiana Basketball

Default Re: Marlin's plea to support his red-hot squad

I like good basketball. I have enjoyed Cajun basketball since the days of Fletcher. I don't like or dislike Coach Marlin (I have never met him) and I am not a member of the Rebounders club. This year and last year have been fun to watch. I will show up whenever I can for the games because I enjoy them. If you don't come out because you hate the coach, then you are missing out on a great experience. Yes, I expect them to lay an egg occasionally, but overall, they do play hard. I cannot change who the coach is, and neither can those who bravely claim they will not come back until Marlin is gone. This team is worth watching. Between the "I hate Marlin" crowd and the "Cajun conspiracy theorist" some of you will never show up. It is your money, do what you wish with it. In the meantime, I will be enjoying the games.

2. Default Re: Marlin's plea to support his red-hot squad

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I like good basketball. I have enjoyed Cajun basketball since the days of Fletcher. I don't like or dislike Coach Marlin (I have never met him) and I am not a member of the Rebounders club. This year and last year have been fun to watch. I will show up whenever I can for the games because I enjoy them. If you don't come out because you hate the coach, then you are missing out on a great experience. Yes, I expect them to lay an egg occasionally, but overall, they do play hard. I cannot change who the coach is, and neither can those who bravely claim they will not come back until Marlin is gone. This team is worth watching. Between the "I hate Marlin" crowd and the "Cajun conspiracy theorist" some of you will never show up. It is your money, do what you wish with it. In the meantime, I will be enjoying the games.
    Fair and balanced.

3. Default Re: Marlin's plea to support his red-hot squad

So some of you complain that Marlin does not say anything to promote games, etc and then when he does, you shat on it?!

4. Default Re: Marlin's plea to support his red-hot squad

Excellent post!

5. Default Re: Marlin's plea to support his red-hot squad

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    So some of you complain that Marlin does not say anything to promote games, etc and then when he does, you shat on it?!
    Not unlike looking the other when the leak in the dike was just a trickle.

Later when it's a gusher even a herculean effort draws distain.

6. Default Re: Marlin's plea to support his red-hot squad

Dishonesty is fun. How about some context? We applaud him finally coming out and engaging the fans. Even though he was forced to do so, it still is nice to see. The issue is, the obvious BS in the comments. We are not the most successful team in the league and we haven't led the league in attendance in years. It's absurd to suggest it.

Just come out and say "This group plays hard and deserves your support. The coaching staff would really appreciate a good crowd in the dome as well." Boom. End of comment. But instead, he has to inject propaganda and he has to do it with disdain. He really believes he's some basketball savant and the peasants in acadiana OWE him. Thin skinned, petty and immature. Just like his antics on courtside and your behavior with fans on the FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Dishonesty is fun. How about some context? We applaud him finally coming out and engaging the fans. Even though he was forced to do so, it still is nice to see. The issue is, the obvious BS in the comments. We are not the most successful team in the league and we haven't led the league in attendance in years. It's absurd to suggest it.

Just come out and say "This group plays hard and deserves your support. The coaching staff would really appreciate a good crowd in the dome as well." Boom. End of comment. But instead, he has to inject propaganda and he has to do it with disdain. He really believes he's some basketball savant and the peasants in acadiana OWE him. Thin skinned, petty and immature. Just like his antics on courtside and your behavior with fans on the FB page.
    Because he knows he can’t stand on his record. Nor will he ever take ownership of his failures and lack of accountability.

So when he tries to encourage people to show up they know he is not genuine or authentic.

The entire F’n athletic department needs a complete reset.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Because he knows he can’t stand on his record. Nor will he ever take ownership of his failures and lack of accountability.

So when he tries to encourage people to show up they know he is not genuine or authentic.

The entire F’n athletic department needs a complete reset.
    Agreed. Never thought I'd say this, but Magard needs to GO!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    The problem is people have quit on the HC. It will not change rapidly until there is a new face to lead the program. Or the success we had last season is sustained and built upon. But this is the first time that we appear to have sustained any sort of success.

Not to mention, we are a basketball school and people don’t buy into the wins just for the sake of wins. We literally schedule the bottom 1/3 of D1 basketball and fill the rest with NAIA/D2/D3 programs. Fans aren’t interested in that.

Get better schedules, have a staff that is out in public with the blue color fans, post season success and quit making excuses. Take ownership of failures, own it and get better. Don’t make excuses that no one buys into.

I want the program to be Uber successful, I just don’t have faith in the admin or the staff.
    Well, we haven't really sustained anything to this point. We're 11-8 and essentially .500 in conference so

Promoting single games does very little when very few in the community know who you are. People talk about him getting out and actually mingling with the community. Going to various civic luncheons and talking about the team and drumming up interest. This is what Hud was a genius at. That's what they are referencing.

We feel he needs to be more than a basement dweller unlike your previous avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Well, we haven't really sustained anything to this point. We're 11-8 and essentially .500 in conference so
    I understand that 11-8 is pretty average. However, this team can make runs when they shoot well.

If they shoot it well 3 games in March he can repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

Well, I nearly fell out my recliner Saturday during the USA game when South Alabama’s broadcasters put up a graphic showing the Cajuns as the winningest program in the SBC over some period of time. Can’t remember the time frame, and not worth my time to research. Don’t know who put the numbers together. It was in the second half. Stats can always be manipulated.

Spouses should never engage fans. Marty’s wife would engage fans in the stands. It was during that era the team benches were moved across the dome to their present location. Got into it with a serious donor a little more than the usual, saw it go down. Marty surfed the program’s and Pascal’s reputation. His overall career record speaks for itself.

Ignore is the best route.

Default Re: Marlin Encourages Everyone to Support Louisiana Basketball

2 of us going to our first game this year on Saturday.

We always try to hit a few basketball games, but the times this year have been tough. Not sure what the early season start times were, but from January on there was not on game that started before 7. That's tough with a young family. But me and the 6-year-old got the green light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Can't argue with the point how much our support has dropped across the board. Now what can be done about it. People have given suggestions on how to improve things. Hopefully the folks in charge find merit in some. Basketball wise, things could be better next season as the non conference home schedule will be more attractive. Ticket Master will go away and the bulk of the guys on this year's team should return. A strong finish to this season may give encouragement to the community that next year's team will be fun to watch.
    But Mike, why are we acting like all this is new? Why are we acting like, "maybe the admin will notice and see some of the grievances and solutions posted here"? None of this is new!! We have battled, yelled, screamed and threatened this admin for yeeeaaarrssss! If anyone believes this admin is changing, you're delusional. They don't care! Their actions prove that!

Yeah, the idea that basketball coach wants fans to support his team is just crazy.
    Yeah, the idea that you believe this coach JUST now realized fan support is down, and made this pitch on his own volition is perfectly logical.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information