Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: California leads the way

Default Re: California leads the way

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Neck Injury is probably more of a risk than concussion. Damage to that area of the body is scary
    Bingo, it’s not about concussions. It’s about soft tissue, skeletal injuries.

I do not agree with the ban, not in any way. But tackle football at 6-12 years of age is ridiculous.

California led the way in starting all of this 7 on 7...
    Initially i thought it was a way to illegally keep playing during the "off season" but maybe the idea was more altruistic.
    Probably never going back to "old skool" offenses so might as well spend more time on 7 on 7/flag at earlier ages

Hence why the NFL is pushing flag football all over the nation so much. They know something we don’t know or don’t want to know. My kids played flag football since 7 years old. My 13 year old played middle school tackle this year and made the transition just fine. Different kind of game but flag does teach a lot of skills like catching, running, defense, angles, routes etc.

He and most of the kids that played flag football who made the transition to tackle are some of the better athletes on the team for now anyway.

I don’t really have an opinion either way because youth tackle football before middle school was not offered in our area so we didn’t do it. We only have flag.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    BS
    Which part is BS? Not playing rec league football did not keep my son from being an All State HS player, nor from participating at the D1 level. I stand by my assertion about the lack of competent coaches in rec leagues increasing the risk of injury.

The ban is ridiculous. At that age, I'd love to see the concussion numbers and negative affects on kids. They are so small and moving so slow I just can't imagine that concussions are a huge part of the game there.
    Go watch pee-wee football around Lafayette. You will see possible concussions all over the field. I've personally seen kids carried from the field to their parents cars and brought to the hospital. Very few of these coaches are teaching proper tackling form.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Which part is BS? Not playing rec league football did not keep my son from being an All State HS player, nor from participating at the D1 level. I stand by my assertion about the lack of competent coaches in rec leagues increasing the risk of injury.
    The part where you say its unnecessary and unnecessarily dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Go watch pee-wee football around Lafayette. You will see possible concussions all over the field. I've personally seen kids carried from the field to their parents cars and brought to the hospital. Very few of these coaches are teaching proper tackling form.
    The older kids get, the more the chances of concussion rise. The bigger, faster, stronger players are the bigger the collisions which increase it. National numbers released show concussions affect about 3-5% of players injured. I'm not saying kids can't get hurt in football and coaching should be improved but I don't think anything should be "banned". If you don't want your 9 year old playing tackle there is always flag football. I just don't see the need for banning it.

The part where you say its unnecessary and unnecessarily dangerous.
    I will stick with that part too. Unnecessary because there are innumerable kids who did not play pee wee football who become great players, unnecessarily dangerous because most leagues have no standards or guidelines for coaches beyond availability.

9. Default Re: California leads the way

Gov. says he will veto the bill……. Nothing to see here folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information