Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Venue that Surprised You Most?

Default Re: Venue that Surprised You Most?

Saw some great shows at State Palace Theater in NO in the early 90's.

2. Default Re: Venue that Surprised You Most?

Aladdin Broadway tour at the Dr Phillips Center in Orlando. Incredible theatre venue.

Book of Mormon at Heymann was an exact replica of the show currently playing on Broadway, was spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Went to see Sublime with Rome and 311 at L’Auberge Lake Charles back in 2011. Add the pool party and it was a blast.

House of Blues in NOLA is also fun.
    Saw that show also along with a few 311 shows by the pool.

Tipitina's will always be at the top of my list for personal reasons. I tell people that was the 1st bar I even went into. I was about 8 years old 1st time I went there. One of the perks of being the son of a musician. I would go and sit next to the sound man.

Not really a surprise but one of the best venues I have ever been to was the new Austin City Limits. As expected, the acoustics in that venue are top notch.

One of the craziest shows was at Root Hogs downtown. Only saw 1 show there (Finger Eleven) and I have no idea how many people were in that small place but there was literally no way to move. We were packed in there tight.

Redneck Country Club in Houston area was really cool place to see live music, but closed during covid.

I recently saw Alice In Chains / Guns N Roses in Minute Maid Park. That was pretty cool setting.

Was supposed to see Rush at the Red Rocks sometime around 2006ish, but show was canceled the morning of b/c of tornados in that area. Talk about disappointment that day.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    In the same vein of the music appreciation thread, which music venue or bar or festival, etc surprised you most and delivered a kick ass show?

Mine was the Fox Theatre in Boulder, CO. Red Rocks was insane but I expected it to be. The Fox was communal, intimate and acoustics were some of the best I’ve ever experienced.

Honorable mention to the old Circle Bar on St. Charles in New Orleans.
    MAT, i saw your comment in other thread about Marcus King. The wife and I recently saw him in Lake Charles at Golden Nugget. Keep an eye out as I don't think that was his first time stopping there. Venue is very intimate, so not a bad seat in the place.

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    MAT, i saw your comment in other thread about Marcus King. The wife and I recently saw him in Lake Charles at Golden Nugget. Keep an eye out as I don't think that was his first time stopping there. Venue is very intimate, so not a bad seat in the place.
    When was this? I cant believe that I missed that. I'm at that point in my life where I'm not interested in large venue concerts. Dont want to fight the crowd. Small venues is where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    When was this? I cant believe that I missed that. I'm at that point in my life where I'm not interested in large venue concerts. Dont want to fight the crowd. Small venues is where its at.
    Was in November, wanna say weekend before Thanksgiving.
    Great show, played for about 2 hours.

9. Default Re: Venue that Surprised You Most?

Was in November, wanna say weekend before Thanksgiving.
    Great show, played for about 2 hours.
    ……..Ray Charles at Tulane and Elvis at Mun Auditorium in Nola……bbbbbbbbbbut the best was when da Boomer would play in Lafayette at I think the Black Cat lounge …….some fun times in the late 70s I think……Muskrat Love (with kazoo) to what I Say…..maybe a reunion tour one night!

10. Default Re: Venue that Surprised You Most?

A good friend of mine works camera crew for those shows. He constantly tells me how good the venue is. I had tickets to that Marcus King show and wasn't able to make it. Heard it was a great experience.

I don’t know about surprised me, but the most fun I’ve ever had watching live music was at a Nitecaps bladder bust with cowboy mouth shoehorned in the corner and Fred playing his snare drum in the middle of a crowd with beer flying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information