Poll: Do you support Albineaux the Gator?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

1. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    I appreciate the efforts and work on this. However, we need a mascot that will be good enough to represent us for the next 100 years. Is a gator that? I dunno.
    Mascot is the easy catchall phrase but I don't think its limited to that.

Caricature spirit leaders exact appearance can morph through the years, look at the rolling renditions of Mickey Mouse.

In 100 years this may be Legend.

I would like to see a white one and a vermilion one.

I know those alligators exist because I've seen Vermilion Red and ULexite White purses made out of alligator hyde that was those colors.

2. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    . . .

I would like to see a white one and a vermilion one.

I know those alligators exist because I've seen Vermilion Red and ULexite White purses made out of alligator hyde that was those colors.
    Both of those purses were died that color. But great try.

3. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Both of those purses were died that color. But great try.
    I'll buy that.

They died that color.

Some yahoo will try to tell me they were dyed that color. I'm not buying it.

4. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Hey y'all! I just wanted give a few thoughts!

Again, the amount of support is amazing to see. Thank you CajunVic, Ragin, Turbine and many more of you for your vocal support of the character. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the poll. The data may not be perfect, but it is valuable data because you guys are some of the most diehard UL fans. The number of you is truly amazing. It is amazing not just as Al's creator but primarily as a UL fan myself. It's showing that the hunger within the fanbase is real and shared.

Albineaux might seem "divisive" to some because the passion is strong, the stakes are high, and this fandom's hunger grows bigger by the day. And I think we all know tensions can flare when someone gets in the way of a hungry Cajun lol.

In regards to his name: I've said this before, I'm fine with Albineaux not being called Albineaux in the final product. I actually think the university should ask the students for suggestions, and have a naming contest. I've actually played around with calling him other names. Fun ones I came up with were "Tee Baw," to reference the language of Acadiana that I'm sure some of you get. Having fans say "Mais Tee Baw" would be so funny to me. Another name could be "Ragin." Since the fans are the Cajuns, he could be just Ragin. And together they are the Ragin' Cajuns. That was fun to think of. Some people have suggested for first Cajun. That would be fine too, but whatever it is I think the students should have a say in it. You guys feel free to imagine other names if you so want. Like I said, make him yours!

I think it's important to continue to call him Albineaux until adoption because: 1) it limits confusion and 2) It stresses that he is NOT a white gator. He is a real animal that has been primarily exclusively found in Louisiana, and has all the origin and community connections I talked about.

In regards to a red gator: Take my word for it, it would not look as good as you think it will. Believe it or not, I researched which color gator would be best. Florida in the 1950's actually had an orange gator costume. It looked atrocious. That is why is so hard to find an image of it. They made sure that of that. Florida aside, a red costume would run into the same maintenance issues Cayenne had. The suit would have to get re-dyed every few years due to fading from the sun and washing of the costume. That's why a white costume would lean more towards saving the university some coin when it comes to upkeep. I do not envy the WKU Blob at all haha. Another point for a white colored gator is that most of UL's apparel is red. Red on red would not stand out as much as white on red. But you can keep your dreams alive! I just wanted to share my notes on that matter.

While we're on the topic of color, Albineaux would be such an easy addition for us. His only colors are the colors we put on everyday: Vermillion and white. In order for the University to sell us Cayenne, they had to introduce orange into our palette. And since orange and red clash, they had to prop up the secondary color grey. So that created a primary logo that still used today has Vermillion, white, black, grey, and orange. Only two of those are our official colors. Also, there's flames now, because "Louisiana hot?? And peppers are also hot???" The point isn't to speak ill of the dead, but I wanted y'all to see the amount of money, time, and extra effort the university was willing to put in a flawed idea (that they chose) and would only last for fifteen years.

5. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Please tell me who would have the better looking mascot?
    We would raise the bar with this one. It’s all about the head! He could see out of his mouth with air holes and cuts in the mouth of the tongue. And air pockets and places to see with slits in the snout.

That looks like a big time college mascot!!

We could do it I wear the hat I got a big head.
    Attachment 19255

I love this image you created! I would love to use it in some materials I'm preparing.

Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

To give an idea of how ridiculous the world is, 30 years ago, 30!, there was a group on campus who said Ragin Cajuns was racist because Ragin spelled backwards was too much like the N word. I shat you not. And that was long before woke was a thing.

A white gator, no matter the name, has low likelihood of success in this straight up ridiculous world we live in now. Just the facts.

Names:
    RC
    Ragin Cajun
    Caimon
    Coco (for cocodrie)
    Blackjack
    T-boy

7. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    To give an idea of how ridiculous the world is, 30 years ago, 30!, there was a group on campus who said Ragin Cajuns was racist because Ragin spelled backwards was too much like the N word. I shat you not. And that was long before woke was a thing.

A white gator, no matter the name, has low likelihood of success in this straight up ridiculous world we live in now. Just the facts.

Names:
    RC
    Ragin Cajun
    Caimon
    Coco (for cocodrie)
    Blackjack
    T-boy
    They also said "Lady" was a four letter word and forced the loss of their self sufficient identity from Lady Cajuns to Ragin Cajuns.

Now their identity is just buried somewhere in the program and they are forced to put "women" and "men" in headlines to clarify what team they are writing about.

Sometimes they even do it with softball where it shouldn't even be necessary.

Names do convey meaning.

Louis
    Ana
    Louisiana Jax

Geaux Cajuns

What about the name Creole? Before you shut me down on this. Look at what it is.

Creole, originally, any person of European (mostly French or Spanish) or African descent born in the West Indies or parts of French or Spanish America (and thus naturalized in those regions rather than in the parents' home country).

So my Dad is more Creole my Mom is more Cajun. It would be homage to both Cajun and Creole cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    I appreciate the efforts and work on this. However, we need a mascot that will be good enough to represent us for the next 100 years. Is a gator that? I dunno.
    I mean they can live a hundred years…so it could work

10. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

At its core Creole means "new" most often associated with languages, most often associated with French derived languages.

There are languages deemed "creole" all around the world.

Granted in Louisiana Creole, has taken on additional meanings.

11. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I mean they can live a hundred years…so it could work
    More like 70 but they will outlive just about every animal originating from Louisiana.

If longevity is a thing, tubeworms and glass sponges from the Gulf can apply for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by CouillonCinema View Post
    Attachment 19255

I love this image you created! I would love to use it in some materials I'm preparing.
    Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post

Names:
    RC
    Ragin Cajun
    Caimon
    Coco (for cocodrie)
    Blackjack
    T-boy
    I like the idea of 2 mascots, male “Louis/Louie” & female “Anna.” Louie w/b white, Anna red.

Okay names I came up with.

Gris-Gris

Lagniappe

Allons - still has AL, I feel it wouldn’t be shortened, but don’t we have cheer based on Allons?

SLII-it could be in honor of our first name. I do like this one pronounce as SLY

Bayou- could be a cheer like Bye You !!

Roux

Cocodril- because Cocodril is an alligator Coco for short

Pirogue

15. Default Re: Poll on Albineaux the Gator

Louis
    Ana

or Jax with a simple request.

Uncage us Jax

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information