Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Found this on the JMU board…their coaching situation. Must be a SBC thing.

I Root For: JMU
    (Yesterday 05:57 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:
    I love what byington has done to revive the dead jmu program.

But I’ve never been a fan of the free wheeling style and he is destined to be basketball’s version of Mickey matthews.

He’ll get the huge credit for the revival, as he should, but as time goes on we’ll look back and think he could have done a lot more and that we underachieved, just like with matthews.

As I’ve said before, this year and last, there’s a reason he’s a ten plus year head coach and never come close to sniffing an NCAA bid.

2. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Beating Mich St and being ranked in the top 25 has never happened here under Bob. Comparing the two situations is wild.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    They finally force fed Kitenge on the block (and he did an excellent job kicking the ball out when he was crowded). Defensive effort stymied a decent shooting Arkie St guard group. Made our FTs. Competed much better on the boards in the second half. Made 40ish percent from 3. We can dominate the SBC with that formula, even with a short bench.
    What’s frustrating to me is we would have won the James Madison game if we had done this sooner. I get they probably don’t want to put too much on Kitenge early in the season, but he’s a real game changer. We jumped out to a 10 point lead early against JMU running the offense through Kitenge and then seemed to get away from it the rest of that game. Glad we are getting back to it.

With his presence down low we can beat anyone in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Beating Mich St and being ranked in the top 25 has never happened here under Bob. Comparing the two situations is wild.
    Basically some JMU fans are reaching back into the coach’s prior job and counting off now ten years of no NCAA appearances. At least a few of them now realize it is 3 (or 4) games in March for the entire SBC.

5. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Basically some JMU fans are reaching back into the coach’s prior job and counting off now ten years of no NCAA appearances. At least a few of them now realize it is 3 (or 4) games in March for the entire SBC.
    That’s Bobby Ball, honing in to peak performance for the tournament. The only games that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    What’s frustrating to me is we would have won the James Madison game if we had done this sooner. I get they probably don’t want to put too much on Kitenge early in the season, but he’s a real game changer. We jumped out to a 10 point lead early against JMU running the offense through Kitenge and then seemed to get away from it the rest of that game. Glad we are getting back to it.

With his presence down low we can beat anyone in the league.
    They did it heavily in the first half. That's a big part of how we developed that lead. They took him away in the second half and we were not nearly as efficient on the perimeter with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    Ketenge did a great job of anticipating the double and found the open guy which had been missing from his game.
    Held AStae to half their normal percentage from 3. I like the defensive effort by this group.
    This was the first game I recall Hosanna being effective at passing it back out after being doubled. At times in the past he has been slow to recognize the double team. After he got some early assists, Wolves played him straight up and he was effective. In earlier games, defenses took his game away after some early success. McNeese used the technique of fronting him in the second half to make him less effective. It is hard to throw it over the top of their leapers. The way to get around that is to move to a different post spot and for guards to be patient in letting him get reestablished position before throwing him the entry pass. They did a good job of that yesterday.

8. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Many on the RPCA were belittling his ability early in the season. Compared his play to Miller only not as good.

Frankly I thought he was okay but he just keeps surprising us with how good he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Many on the RPCA were belittling his ability early in the season. Compared his play to Miller only not as good.

Frankly I thought he was okay but he just keeps surprising us with how good he really is.
    I was one of those who questioned how good a player he would ever be due to perceived lack of athletic ability. I underestimated him in many ways. Glad to be proven wrong. I did not question his attitude as he is great at supporting his teammates. That attitude is probably why he has improved his play. Likely has worked hard in practice and now it is showing up on game day.

Actually, I never said anything on here, but I had some serious doubts about him after seeing him play early games. He looked awkward and was turning over the ball under the basket a lot. Normally, unless they are true freshmen, players do not get much better after the season starts. He has made a remarkable improvement since the early season. He looks like a different player.

11. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Confidence does wonders.

I still cringe when he back down dribbles.

13. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Heads to Jonesboro to Face Arkansas State

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I still cringe when he back down dribbles.
    I know that feeling.

I know that feeling.
    Shame y’all feel that way. He literally makes us who we are. So what if he gets his pocket picked once or twice a game. If he gets us 20 and 7 every night then it’s worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Shame y’all feel that way. He literally makes us who we are. So what if he gets his pocket picked once or twice a game. If he gets us 20 and 7 every night then it’s worth it.

Lol. Because he's getting us half that. He's getting us 10 and 5 a night

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information