Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Appreciation

Default Re: Music Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    My radio programmed dials:
    1) 88.7 KRVS (all weekend listening)
    2) 101.1 KBON (evenings)
    3) 105.9 Mustang (Sunday morning Zydeco)
    4) 97.3 The Dawg (Saints/Point After/classic country Saturday night)
    Herman Fuselier has a great program on 88.7. That is my Saturday get stuff done around the house jam.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    Was this the show that one of the bands canceled for some reason and 3 Doors Down got called to open as a last minute replacement?

I was at the show. I just could not remember who they opened up for. Like most, I was blown away by them and because an instant fan. Still one of my faves from that era.

Same thing happened to me when we went see The Nixons at The Plaza. A fairly unknown band at the time named Sevendust opened up for them. About a week after that show, Sevendust's debut album released and instantly blew up.
    I don't remember that sequence, but it could have been. I do remember that Cowboy Mouth tore the place down. Then Live came on after them, and kind of just stood up there and played their music. Even Lightning Crashes was kind of a dud.

A couples years later, I went to go see Cowboy Mouth play at the Varsity in Baton Rouge. Some unknown band opened up for them...Maroon 5. They did ok for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMarineBBK View Post
    Let me through out a local guy that lives in Nashville he has been playing music for over 45 years Brian Langlinais. He plays his own style of music with a swamp pop influence.
    Brian and I played in the same band many years ago. Good guy

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Lafayette's own Sonny Landreth, legend...
    One of the most genuine, nice guys you will ever meet. He is my Sister in Laws Uncle. Best slide guitar player anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    A couples years later, I went to go see Cowboy Mouth play at the Varsity in Baton Rouge. Some unknown band opened up for them...Maroon 5. They did ok for themselves.
    We used to go to the Varsity a lot and saw Cowboy Mouth more times that I can remember. I will not let my wife know that we missed this show.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZeebart21 View Post
    Brian and I played in the same band many years ago. Good guy
    I knew this lol

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    While I do think Layne Staley was good, Cornell is considerably better. Staley was good for a grunge/alternative singer (yes, I know about the chill stuff on Jar of Flies), but he had nowhere close to the talent, range, or versatility of Chris Cornell. Layne sang songs, Chris Cornell could make you feel the songs.

https://youtu.be/IuUDRU9-HRk?si=VdNjjNj2x89TMYZW
    Soundgarden is one of my big regrets not seeing. Had multiple chances too. Houston with Nine Inch Nails being the biggest one. No idea what I was thinking.

I always thought AiC got their money’s worth from whoever was marketing them. They somehow managed to get shoehorned in to the grunge movement and resulting boom despite sounding like pure metal. Particularly on Facelift. Dirt had some more grunge leanings.

https://youtu.be/GUua_KpD4CI?si=5hGFXeZy6z9NNO00

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Soundgarden is one of my big regrets not seeing. Had multiple chances too. Houston with Nine Inch Nails being the biggest one. No idea what I was thinking.

I always thought AiC got their money’s worth from whoever was marketing them. They somehow managed to get shoehorned in to the grunge movement and resulting boom despite sounding like pure metal. Particularly on Facelift. Dirt had some more grunge leanings.

Saw soundgarden at Voodoo in 2011 he sounded fantastic

Saw NIN in Houston in 2008, great show as well.

9. Default Re: Music Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    What no one knows is that I was a guitar tech for Led Zepplin in 1973. First gig out of high school...

And girls at The Keg believed me....
    LOL

"Ladies Oh Ladies" has he got a tale to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post

Caught Soundgarden at Lollapalooza '92 and AiC at the '93 show. AiC had early exposure on Headbanger's Ball. They did a remote in New Orleans on the show in sometime in the ear;y 90's. Their ties to Seattle likely tied them to the grunge era. Saw them open for Ozzy in NO a few weeks after Layne's backstage ATV accident. He did the show with a casted leg in a wheelchair and on crutches while drinking JD straight from the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Saw soundgarden at Voodoo in 2011 he sounded fantastic

Saw NIN in Houston in 2008, great show as well.
    Saw NiN at the HOB in NO around 94/95 and again in Dallas with David Bowie. Incredible show

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    With the wide range of music you guys are talking about, I was wondering how many of y'all ever listen to KBON out of Eunice. Since I moved back to the area a few months back, That's about the only station I listen to on the radio any more. They play swamp pop, cajun zydeco, the blues, blue grass, country & even hip hop late on the weekends. I read a thread Helmut posted about old school radio dying on the vine & he may be right. But KBON with it's commitment to playing local talent & diversity of music is kicking butt & will still be here when every other FM station in this area is long gone.
    Yes. KBON is great, and is the music station I stream the most.

Big Al and Gumbo Phil are also Ragin Cajun fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Josh Meloy
    https://youtu.be/1mEYgfTN1Po?si=VQlLsAPq3i-31KlH

This is one I recently started listening too.
    Josh has got some good stuff. I’ve seen Charles Wesley Godwin 4 times, and Josh opened a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Saw NiN at the HOB in NO around 94/95 and again in Dallas with David Bowie. Incredible show
    Yall need to stop. At this point I’m just getting jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Cornell is the best but not by much. A lot of those 90s grunge/metal bands had awesome vocalists. One guy who is heavily underrated is James Iha from the Smashing Pumpkins. Doesn't sing a lot but when he does it is really good. Also an amazing guitarist.
    Saw Smashing Pumpkins in Biloxi around April of 94. I remember this because we learned of Kirk Cobain's death at the hotel prior to the show.
    That Pumpkins concert was the most electric concert I've ever been to. It felt like the entire place was bouncing. We started out on the floor about halfway back and when they hit it off the girl I was with got so swallowed up by the mosh pit, I thought I'd never see her again. That ____ was INSANE.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information