Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Appreciation

Default Re: Music Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Woah, STP at Red Rocks!
    I saw STP at Lakefront Arena in the summer of '95 (best summer ever), and it was probably the best concert I ever saw. Weiland was in his rocking chair just belting em out. Dude had such a a great voice. I'll never forget that show.
    I saw Stone Temple Pilots at UNO Lakefront arena in 1994, I think it was 4th of July. I don't remember STP coming here in 95. If they did, I missed that one.

Also saw STP at UNO in 1997. I think I recall a couch being lowered from the ceiling for an acoustic portion of the show. Cheap Trick opened up for them, which I thought was a rather odd combo.

On this brief detour in to the mammoth 90s bands, who does everyone think the best vocalist was? I feel like the “right” answer is Cornell but I’ve always been partial to Layne.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I saw Stone Temple Pilots at UNO Lakefront arena in 1994, I think it was 4th of July. I don't remember STP coming here in 95. If they did, I missed that one.

Also saw STP at UNO in 1997. I think I recall a couch being lowered from the ceiling for an acoustic portion of the show. Cheap Trick opened up for them, which I thought was a rather odd combo.
    I was pretty sure it was 95, but those days remain a little hazy. Many brain cells were murdered back then.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    On this brief detour in to the mammoth 90s bands, who does everyone think the best vocalist was? I feel like the “right” answer is Cornell but I’ve always been partial to Layne.
    Cornell or the lead singer for Alice in Chains, IMO.

Cornell but Layne is a close 2nd. There is quite a long list of artists from the 90s that I wish would have been around much longer. Not sure how the music would have changed through their years but I would have loved to know.

Cornell is the best but not by much. A lot of those 90s grunge/metal bands had awesome vocalists. One guy who is heavily underrated is James Iha from the Smashing Pumpkins. Doesn't sing a lot but when he does it is really good. Also an amazing guitarist.

With the wide range of music you guys are talking about, I was wondering how many of y'all ever listen to KBON out of Eunice. Since I moved back to the area a few months back, That's about the only station I listen to on the radio any more. They play swamp pop, cajun zydeco, the blues, blue grass, country & even hip hop late on the weekends. I read a thread Helmut posted about old school radio dying on the vine & he may be right. But KBON with it's commitment to playing local talent & diversity of music is kicking butt & will still be here when every other FM station in this area is long gone.

8. Default Re: Music Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    With the wide range of music you guys are talking about, I was wondering how many of y'all ever listen to KBON out of Eunice. Since I moved back to the area a few months back, That's about the only station I listen to on the radio any more. They play swamp pop, cajun zydeco, the blues, blue grass, country & even hip hop late on the weekends. I read a thread Helmut posted about old school radio dying on the vine & he may be right. But KBON with it's commitment to playing local talent & diversity of music is kicking butt & will still be here when every other FM station in this area is long gone.
    My radio programmed dials:
    1) 88.7 KRVS (all weekend listening)
    2) 101.1 KBON (evenings)
    3) 105.9 Mustang (Sunday morning Zydeco)
    4) 97.3 The Dawg (Saints/Point After/classic country Saturday night)

While I do think Layne Staley was good, Cornell is considerably better. Staley was good for a grunge/alternative singer (yes, I know about the chill stuff on Jar of Flies), but he had nowhere close to the talent, range, or versatility of Chris Cornell. Layne sang songs, Chris Cornell could make you feel the songs.

https://youtu.be/IuUDRU9-HRk?si=VdNjjNj2x89TMYZW

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    While I do think Layne Staley was good, Cornell is considerably better. Staley was good for a grunge/alternative singer (yes, I know about the chill stuff on Jar of Flies), but he had nowhere close to the talent, range, or versatility of Chris Cornell. Layne sang songs, Chris Cornell could make you feel the songs.

https://youtu.be/IuUDRU9-HRk?si=VdNjjNj2x89TMYZW
    Damn shame both of those guys are dead. We can add Shannon Hoon to that list. Guy had a very unique voice. Died on St. Charles Ave. My sister was on the way to that concert. I don't think she's ever gotten over that.

I was lucky that I got to see them at Woodstock '94

Do y’all remember the Greatest Show on the Planet concert in the Cajundome around probably 2000?

The Flys
    3 Doors Down (before anyone had ever heard of them)
    Cowboy Mouth
    Live

I’ve been mainlining Zach Bryan lately. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Damn shame both of those guys are dead. We can add Shannon Hoon to that list. Guy had a very unique voice. Died on St. Charles Ave. My sister was on the way to that concert. I don't think she's ever gotten over that.
    I went to Tipitina's to see Blind Melon. No cell phones back then, my buddy Ryan & I didn't know Shannon Hoon had died (ODed on tour bus) until we got to NOLA and found out the show was cancelled.

Had a similar experience in 2017. Wife & I drove to NOLA to see Dead & Company. After we checked into our hotel, we found out John Mayer had been rushed to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy and the show was cancelled.

What no one knows is that I was a guitar tech for Led Zepplin in 1973. First gig out of high school...

And girls at The Keg believed me....

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Do y’all remember the Greatest Show on the Planet concert in the Cajundome around probably 2000?

The Flys
    3 Doors Down (before anyone had ever heard of them)
    Cowboy Mouth
    Live
    Was this the show that one of the bands canceled for some reason and 3 Doors Down got called to open as a last minute replacement?

I was at the show. I just could not remember who they opened up for. Like most, I was blown away by them and because an instant fan. Still one of my faves from that era.

Same thing happened to me when we went see The Nixons at The Plaza. A fairly unknown band at the time named Sevendust opened up for them. About a week after that show, Sevendust's debut album released and instantly blew up.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information