Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basketball School

Default Basketball School

Since the other thread got whacked.

Basketball is the only sport that we outspend our peers. Have better facilities than our peers, more administrative support than any other program.

So please explain to me how we are not a basketball school? The only thing we don’t do is have expectations of succeeding at the highest level.

People would rather be in the club than have the utmost success.

2. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Basketball School

There was an LTUR fan that used to post about this. His view was LTU over everything, everyone else. Simply put he considered coaches expendable temporary fixtures. They’re there to further their careers, and leave for greener pastures. He had no loyalty to any coach, or AD beyond the letter of the contract.

We definitely have never been that type university. We only have a handful of presidents, and it’s hard for a coach to wear out their welcome. Hudspeth was fired because of the bad light the football team put the university in. Other than that he’d probably last a couple more losing seasons.

Default Re: Basketball School

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Since the other thread got whacked.

Basketball is the only sport that we outspend our peers. Have better facilities than our peers, more administrative support than any other program.

So please explain to me how we are not a basketball school? The only thing we don’t do is have expectations of succeeding at the highest level.

Because of coaching. Wade at McNeese is the example.

We probably wouldnt be a basketball school since there are many smaller non peer schools that dont play football. And those are the preferred "cinderella stories". (And i doubt we spend more than them in basketball)

We are paying our basketball coach almost as much as our football coach. Our attendance has been dropping and we are averaging only 1700 people a game. Honestly not sure how we are even affording to pay him what we do considering the attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    We are paying our basketball coach almost as much as our football coach.
    His salary drops significantly on his new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    His salary drops significantly on his new contract.
    To what? $650k down from almost $800k.

8. UL Basketball Re: Basketball School

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    We probably wouldnt be a basketball school since there are many smaller non peer schools that dont play football. And those are the preferred "cinderella stories". (And i doubt we spend more than them in basketball)
    Historically the term basketball school isn’t about being like Wichita State with great basketball but no football. Think instead Duke, Kentucky, UCLA schools with good basketball and average to poor football.

To what? $650k down from almost $800k.
    He was never close to 800k

Yes! This should be our focus! Said this last year.

We can't compete with P5/NIL for football. The new structure no longer works for us.

We can pour our resources into MBK and make a few runs at the Sweet 16. FAU, VCU, Wichita St, Houston and many others have found their success with MBK.

I'd much rather spend on three high level basketball prospects as compared to trying to pay 22 football players who will transfer or get poached to a P5 if they are successful.

Basketball provides a little more protection against this practice.

If I were Dr. Maggard, I would go all in on MBK and become the premier basketball program in the state.

He was never close to 800k
    In 2022 he was paid $672k plus incentives. Which was around another $100k in total.

I’d say that’s pretty close to $800k. Unless our newspaper is wrong.

In 2022 he was paid $672k plus incentives. Which was around another $100k in total.

I’d say that’s pretty close to $800k. Unless our newspaper is wrong.
    The last sentence is something to think about. But I forget the media coverage for our programs is top notch.

The last sentence is something to think about. But I forget the media coverage for our programs is top notch.
    $672k plus incentives is accurate. Deny it all you want, defend him all you want. You have a close tie to this team, bought yall way on, I get the loyalty.

$672k plus incentives is accurate. Deny it all you want, defend him all you want. You have a close tie to this team, bought yall way on, I get the loyalty.
    You don’t know schit about me brother. I’ve been here long before you and I don’t give a fk if you were an athlete or not. My loyalty has always been to the program as a whole. If you want to discuss in person I’d be happy to.

You don’t know schit about me brother. I’ve been here long before you and I don’t give a fk if you were an athlete or not. My loyalty has always been to the program as a whole. If you want to discuss in person I’d be happy to.
    I know enough. I know that we vastly overpay an underachieving coach. I know that you have closer ties to this program than anyone else on this board at the moment.

Me being an athlete here and an absolute horrible student here has nothing to do with me posting Bob’s salary.

In 2022 Bob made $204k from the state and additional $468k from private funds. Not to mention the incentive pay that was on top of that.

Some people had to pony up a lot of cash to get in Bob’s circle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information