Thread: Macro MD

UL Football Macro MD

I have criticized CMD as much as anyone else regarding play calling. Maybe, we should think again.

https://sunbeltsports.org/documents/...ts.pdf?id=1354

We finished 4th in Scoring Offense despite there being only 2 schools who ran fewer plays than we did.

That points to an explosive offense. CMD can score points. He has got the "macro" part of the OC job down pat. I think it is the "micro" parts of time and situation awareness where he may need to improve.

Default Re: Macro MD

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I have criticized CMD as much as anyone else regarding play calling. Maybe, we should think again.

https://sunbeltsports.org/documents/...ts.pdf?id=1354

We finished 4th in Scoring Offense despite there being only 2 schools who ran fewer plays than we did.

That points to an explosive offense. CMD can score points. He has got the "macro" part of the OC job down pat. I think it is the "micro" parts of time and situation awareness where he may need to improve.
    Also to be considered in the number of plays we ran is how our defense was allowing a lot of plays on their side; that might be a bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Also to be considered in the number of plays we ran is how our defense was allowing a lot of plays on their side; that might be a bigger issue.
    Getting off the field on defense is a problem, but I think that is the nature of things today with the Spread. Look at the stats again. We did finish 4th in Total Defense.

It's the margins. They are razor thin. Napier won a lot of very close games. We are not repeating that at the moment, but the answer is not clear at all.

Our best hope is that we continue to make efforts in improving execution and in gameday decisions. I believe we have the talent and the X's and O's to win the league.

This is my opinion......I found the offense play calling improved in year 2 vs year 1.

We need to focus NIL resources on OL/DL. Watching Bama/UM and UT/UW......all the on air glory went to skill positions.....Penix being able.to pass deep was beautiful.....it was the big guys execution in the trenches that won those games.

Lots of data. Really expected to see much lower defensive positions in rankings. Seemed like we were just a few plays away from having a special season. Hmmm

Always interesting to look back. Watching the Texas/Washington game there were times when I just scratched my head at play calling, mostly Texas. Sark is considered an outstanding offensive mind but that final series near the goal line was strangely lacking! And their CB’s playing 10 yards back, even in short yardage situations made me think back to many of our games!! Now we know Washington has tremendous passing game skill players; but Texas has top notch talent too!!

Biggest stat to me was that our opponents converted 45% of third downs. Our defense had trouble getting off the field at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    This is my opinion......I found the offense play calling improved in year 2 vs year 1.
    I did also for the most part. Having said that, the 2 pass plays called on 2nd and 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter of the bowl game were really mystifying. I especially hated the gadget play when all we needed to do is get a 1st down and our young running back was slashing the Jackson State defense. IMO, that is when and why we lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I did also for the most part. Having said that, the 2 pass plays called on 2nd and 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter of the bowl game were really mystifying. I especially hated the gadget play when all we needed to do is get a 1st down and our young running back was slashing the Jackson State defense. IMO, that is when and why we lost the game.
    Even the best have mystifying calls, i.e. Alabama calling a 4th down QB draw play from the 4 yd. line in OT.

Thread Information