Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread: Pitch Two for Albineaux in the Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

I've made my peace with Cayenne. I now see him as no different than WKU's blob, a fun spirit leader.

If we aren't bringing back Cajun Man, I see no reason we couldn't welcome Cayenne back.

Okay I am going with this !! I would like a Gator but if it has to be a figure you twisted my arm.

Name:  IMG_6664.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  125.0 KB

3. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

The school has spoken, the current administration is just feigning unawareness.

The Alligator has been Louisiana's official mascot since before the "Alligator Habitat" signs went up decades ago (they were late to the party then too)

The desire to go the extra mile to encapsULate what is already there is all that is lacking, some call it work.

On the sidelines you don't need another mascot just a spirit leader that matches the campus DNA. (lose the tail)

4. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Ask them, this is what I was told. They have people being paid to do this job, my understanding is it will remain Ragin' Cajuns. How that is branded by a mascot, I have not clue.
    Of course this is a red herring false arguement on their part whether on facebook, KLFY or to your face.

A mascot never has, and never will interfere with, or replace the Ragin' Cajuns brand.

It does show that the ones who say such silliness have not been paying attention at all, or for very long, and are definitely overpaid.

5. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    The Golden Rule of nicknames:

If your nickname is a group of people, then your mascot must be a physical representation of said people or a background figure that either helps define said people or is just a fun spirit leader.

Having a mascot that would cause confusion as to what is the real nickname or lessen the real nickname would be breaking the Golden Rule.

I'm guessing they see the alligator as an agent of confusion and/or taking away from the uniqueness of Ragin Cajuns (One and Only).
    First: There is no golden rule on this topic.

Secondly: When the world thinks of Cajuns they think of Louisiana.

When they think of Louisiana, they think of food if they are hungry and they think of alligators if they are adventurous. Sports fans are adventurous.

Make game day fit what the world already thinks.

Good Louisiana Food, Good Louisiana fun, and a spot on no brainer of a spirit leader (call it mascot if you want) lose the tail on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Of course this is a red herring false arguement on their part whether on facebook, KLFY or to your face.

A mascot never has, and never will interfere with, or replace the Ragin' Cajuns brand.

It does show that the ones who say such silliness have not been paying attention at all, or for very long, and are definitely overpaid.
    Everyone knows this maybe this is what the administration believes? We may be giving them to much credit. They have people working on it!

Unless they have an epiphany or something that hasn’t been offered up on this board as a mascot. Which I don’t see happening, or happening in the near future?

7. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I'm not making any arguments for the administration, that's their job. I have my own opinion and stated it without the personal attacks. If you and others have a different opinion cool. I have stayed out of this conversation for the most part and social media has become the battle ground of stupidity at times.
    Btw, I understand the schism with the fans. Different generations have different feelings on it. I get that part. My comments are specific to the origin of the albino gator. They are unique and have plenty of substance, which is what my personal preference would be. A mascot with background and natural connection to the program. (i.e., gators in cypress lake)

My biggest issue is with the dolts in the administration that would rather sit around and do nothing than take a chance on *gasp* making a decision that not everyone might like. It's why I always do my best to see this debate from the POV of the younger fans. The mascot is not for me or RR or RCAF or the administrators or past alumni. It's for the students and potential students. Regarding the mentioned comments on KLFY, you can almost guess the age of the poster. The younger people love Al and the USL Bulldog people try to discredit it. The rest of us are somewhere in the middle.

8. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

The alligator mascot is on campus, always has been (it was removed for a while, first half of the 20th Century)

Louisiana has had yearbooks with alligator hide (pressed vinyl) as the cover. I wonder how many of the "paid to do their job" crowd know this.

All that is missing is a spirit leader to tie the campus to the action in the stadium.

9. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Okay I am going with this !! I would like a Gator but if it has to be a figure you twisted my arm.

Name:  IMG_6664.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  125.0 KB
    So Al in a courir du mardi gras outfit??? I'm all the way IN

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The alligator mascot is on campus, always has been (it was removed for a while, first half of the 20th Century)

Louisiana has had yearbooks with alligator hide (pressed vinyl) as the cover. I wonder how many of the "paid to do their job" crowd know this.

All that is missing is a spirit leader to tie the campus to the action in the stadium.
    It’s the most logical and most stereotypical, popular mascot we could come up with.

Which is perfect !!

Yeah we could totally dress Al up if it has to have some type of connection to Cajun Culture or a Ragin Cajun.

11. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    It’s the most logical and most stereotypical, popular mascot we could come up with.

Which is perfect !!

Yeah we could totally dress Al up if it has to have some type of connection to Cajun Culture or a Ragin Cajun.
    What I would like to see is (ditch the tail and) have the Spirit Leader dress up to match the garb of whatever Sporting Event he is championing at the moment.

12. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Keep the tail for money making paraphernalia.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Btw, I understand the schism with the fans. Different generations have different feelings on it. I get that part. My comments are specific to the origin of the albino gator. They are unique and have plenty of substance, which is what my personal preference would be. A mascot with background and natural connection to the program. (i.e., gators in cypress lake)

My biggest issue is with the dolts in the administration that would rather sit around and do nothing than take a chance on *gasp* making a decision that not everyone might like. It's why I always do my best to see this debate from the POV of the younger fans. The mascot is not for me or RR or RCAF or the administrators or past alumni. It's for the students and potential students. Regarding the mentioned comments on KLFY, you can almost guess the age of the poster. The younger people love Al and the USL Bulldog people try to discredit it. The rest of us are somewhere in the middle.
    So if they make a decision you aren't happy with, you'll still be cool with it because they made a decision?

Whether its Cayenne, a bulldog named RC, or Clovis Crawfish.

14. Default Re: Campaign for the Next UL Mascot: The Second Pitch for Albineaux

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    So if they make a decision you aren't happy with, you'll still be cool with it because they made a decision?

Whether its Cayenne, a bulldog named RC, or Clovis Crawfish.
    Assuming they make a decision that WORKS, regardless of if I like the mascot or not, I'll digress. If the community embraces whatever it is, I'm happy. But does anyone really believe this admin will get this right? Almost everything we've gotten right in my lifetime has come from the alumni, not the university.

I bet the marketing arm of the University still hasn't recovered from the rebranding disaster at the turn of the century that gave us the hot-wheel logo, yellow and red merchandise, and Cayenne. Probably scared to introduce anything now that we're stable in our branding effort (Louisiana, Ragin' Cajuns, FDL).

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread Information