Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Kreweallons.com

Default Re: Kreweallons.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    So THAT'S the track team you and I should have been on!

Doubtful I'd have been good enough to be on scholarship there. Maybe you.
    One does not have to be on scholarship to get NIL

The portal combined with the NIL has got me more towards not giving a flip about college football than it has gotten me to want to give to the krewe of Geaux. I am leaning more towards giving up the season tickets and tailgate than I am leaning to donating to pay players who are already on full scholarship with a cost of living stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I’ll reiterate what Jack said that folks should go listen to John on the RR pod. Particularly the episode after Chriss left. I get people are extremely upset we weren’t able to keep Zeon, but as John says in the episode, UL is about 18 months behind in the NIL game. This is no fault to John, as he didn’t get here until this year. At more proactive places, these collectives were being started back in 2021.

I think the largely negative view of NIL as it relates to UL athletics will be one of the biggest challenges John and his team have to overcome, along with playing catch up. Think about this: the first NIL offseason for football happened in the same year for all schools (after the 2021 season). It didn’t hit each program in the same stage of its growth though. At UL we had just experienced our highest of highs. First conference title in forever, 3 straight 10 win seasons, NFL talent left and right, first coach ever to prove UL isn’t a graveyard for football coaches, etc. etc. Then…boom…we’re quickly plunged to a low point where our entire staff down to the videographer was gutted and a mass exodus of our best players occurred. The whole debacle after Napier’s departure is UL fans’ first real impression of the NIL. Even the parts of the situation that NIL didn’t affect, like hiring a coach many were unenthused with, are linked in memory to our first impressions of NIL.

Contrast this to a place like McNeese. John mentioned their NIL collective was started with seed money of $500K. Football wise McNeese is in maybe its darkest days ever. Certainly since I’ve been alive. I’m sure they’ve lost a couple guys to NIL, but I’d bet it’s nothing compared to here, as frankly how many guys off of 1-3 win teams are in high demand. Even if they do lose a few, how disheartening can it be when you have really no further to fall anyway? For people in Lake Charles, their first big public impression of the NIL is Will Wade coming to town and McNeese being able to buy him the most talented roster that’s worn Cowboys jerseys in 20 years. It’s easy to see why attitudes would be more positive in a place like that.

I get why people here are negative about the whole situation. I don’t envy John. I’m not a salesman, but I would have to imagine there’s an added layer of difficulty when you are selling something that people are already view negatively as opposed to neutrally. I hope he’s up to the challenge, and from every interaction I’ve seen, I think he is. I hope our fans will at least take the position like Leeman. Even if it doesn’t sound great now, give it a chance. At least reach out to John. The guy wants to hear from people. He gave out his cell phone number on the pod. We’ve begged for people like that to be associated with Ragin Cajuns athletics for a long time. The least we could do when we’ve finally got one is give him a shot.
    EXCELLENT! Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Return to the old transfer rules and grant zero waivers.

Graduate students are free to transfer and immediately eligible. They have fulfilled their obligation to the university.

Knowing a player would have to sit and lose a year of eligibility would solve a lot of it.
    You're probably right but based off court ruling a couple of weeks ago doesnt look like thats going to happen...in fact its going to get worst with them allowing multiple transfers without sitting out.

Missed that ruling, please share...
    For regular academics at most schools your last 30 hours have to be in residence. (At least)
    Ergo if all your credits dont transfer you should be ineligible until your catch up.... Typically, students can transfer up to 45 credits to associate degrees or 90 for bachelor's degrees. But there's no set standard. Minimum and maximum amounts may vary between schools. Because each institution evaluates credits differently, it's not uncommon for students to lose credits during a transfer.
    https://www.bestcolleges.com › faq-...
    FAQ About Transferring College Credits - BestColleges.com

6. Default Re: Kreweallons.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    The portal combined with the NIL has got me more towards not giving a flip about college football than it has gotten me to want to give to the krewe of Geaux. I am leaning more towards giving up the season tickets and tailgate than I am leaning to donating to pay players who are already on full scholarship with a cost of living stipend.
    This is where I find myself. I ask myself, "what is the point?" This is free agency with no salary cap. We will never be able to compete at the highest level with our current donor base. I am almost to the point where I am solely focusing my emotion on my favorite professional sports teams (Astros and Saints). At least in those leagues there is some type of competitive equity.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Yup. And with the Covid year joke about over, many a Joe Stud will end up right back where he started. No big NIL. No degree. No pro deal. And nobody will give a darn. But will at some point complain how unfair the whole thing was when ending up like Dexter Manley. And want “justice” (money) not only for themselves but also for his leaches.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information