Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Redshirt

Default Redshirt

With NIL and P5 poaching players at will......There is absolutely no value at all to redshirt anymore. G5 bears all the player Development Cost. 1st thing I'd change if I were Des and the rest of Sun Belt coaches is to stop cold all redshirting unless there is an injury involved.

All redshirt does now is give P5 a bonus year to use the polished resources the G5 developed.

Default Re: Redshirt

I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    With NIL and P5 poaching players at will......There is absolutely no value at all to redshirt anymore. G5 bears all the player Development Cost. 1st thing I'd change if I were Des and the rest of Sun Belt coaches is to stop cold all redshirting unless there is an injury involved.

All redshirt does now is give P5 a bonus year to use the polished resources the G5 developed.
    If they aren't ready to play, it does nothing to help your program. He has to face reality now and started signing more athletes from the Portal and JC transfer's as he finally started with this class.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    If they aren't ready to play, it does nothing to help your program. He has to face reality now and started signing more athletes from the Portal and JC transfer's as he finally started with this class.
    yuup

Really doesn't affect red shirt at all. If they are good enough then they play.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Really doesn't affect red shirt at all. If they are good enough then they play.
    Not always the case. Loyalty to longer term players will factor in.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Not always the case. Loyalty to longer term players will factor in.
    This! Why give the young stud a shot when the loyal vet is proven and isn't going to pull a hit n run.

You are going to be less likely to want to screw over and upset the proven player, running the risk of losing two players if the prospect proves out then transfers and the upset player does as well.

Not sure what y’all are watching but it’s obvious this staff plays way to many players at certain positions trying to keep every body happy. Several games this year when it’s 3rd and 7 or 8 and you look on to the field and not one of your 2 deep on the WR corps is on the field. Playing 11 or 12 WR a game over the last couple years just to keep everyone happy has hurt more than helped. And why? Because they know the veterans of the group weren’t going anywhere so they screwed them to appease those youngsters that are a threat to leave.

The 2 QB system in Des’ first year was a direct result to the way that Ben reacted to the news of losing the job and his threats to leave. It wasn’t something that Des really wanted to do. It was all about keeping everyone happy.

Time to quit letting the prisoners run the asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Not sure what y’all are watching but it’s obvious this staff plays way to many players at certain positions trying to keep every body happy. Several games this year when it’s 3rd and 7 or 8 and you look on to the field and not one of your 2 deep on the WR corps is on the field. Playing 11 or 12 WR a game over the last couple years just to keep everyone happy has hurt more than helped. And why? Because they know the veterans of the group weren’t going anywhere so they screwed them to appease those youngsters that are a threat to leave.

The 2 QB system in Des’ first year was a direct result to the way that Ben reacted to the news of losing the job and his threats to leave. It wasn’t something that Des really wanted to do. It was all about keeping everyone happy.

Time to quit letting the prisoners run the asylum.
    As far as the WR go. This is just not accurate. The Cajuns only had 10 WR catch passes this year and 5 of those caught less than 5 catches all year.

Jacob Bernard, Peter Leblanc, Harvey Broussard, Robert Williams and Charles Robertson caught the majority of all of the passes this year and Robertson, Broussard and Williams all missed at least one game this year. We did play some of the younger guys like Johnson smith and culbert on occasion because the coaches were high on most of these newcomers.

The 5 I named earlier in the post were on the field for the majority of the snaps.

If you look at the OL and DL yes we do a lot of subbing there. But that has been a staple of the Napier/Dez teams for years.

The other 2 guys that got catches were Cambre and Kaleb carter who played in a total of 5 games because of injury early in the year.

Your normal WR crew consisted of Leblanc Bernard and Williams. With Broussard and Robertson backing them up. The. Occasionally sprinkling in Johnson smith and culbert.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    As far as the WR go. This is just not accurate. The Cajuns only had 10 WR catch passes this year and 5 of those caught less than 5 catches all year.

Jacob Bernard, Peter Leblanc, Harvey Broussard, Robert Williams and Charles Robertson caught the majority of all of the passes this year and Robertson, Broussard and Williams all missed at least one game this year. We did play some of the younger guys like Johnson smith and culbert on occasion because the coaches were high on most of these newcomers.

The 5 I named earlier in the post were on the field for the majority of the snaps.

If you look at the OL and DL yes we do a lot of subbing there. But that has been a staple of the Napier/Dez teams for years.

The other 2 guys that got catches were Cambre and Kaleb carter who played in a total of 5 games because of injury early in the year.

Your normal WR crew consisted of Leblanc Bernard and Williams. With Broussard and Robertson backing them up. The. Occasionally sprinkling in Johnson smith and culbert.
    Wrong watch late in the year several 3 and long and Caleb carter is on the field with other 3rd and below stringers. Your very last sentence with your “normal wide receiver crew is….” many times on 3rd and passing that bunch wasn’t on the field. They would have 3 and 4 deeps many times. I don’t need to look at stats my eyes during the game told me what I needed to see. Plus if you play 10 receivers by the time you go through your rotations your guys are cold again. I would bet it’s a rare occasion that Georgia and Alabama play 10 receivers in a competitive game.

Let's hope we can hold onto Bill Davis as he should have been playing all year and is our best back. If not that red shirt was wasted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

We were subbing the OL and DL because none of the guys were any good. Kept grasping at straws to find 5 that could actually play. Far cry from previous years when the OL was legit 7 deep.

I think Des does try to please the players more than choosing the best to play. Also, we sub out the RB’s way too much, Bill Davis should have been the starter all along. He’s the best, play him. I’m ok with occasional sub but not constantly through each series. It doesn’t give the back any chance to get into a rhythm.

Play the best players, period. Act like red shirts don’t exist.

End of the day, players who are great players will chase the money and don’t care if Des is a “players’ coach” or not. Would not be surprised the day comes a player quits after 4 games to preserve a year. I’m sure “agents” will encourage this…guys quitting on their teammates, or their “family” bs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information