Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10

Thread: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Still better than arbitrarily thinking an SEC team is better just by virtue of being in the SEC.
    No one thinks this.

2. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    It is not the only viable metric. It's hardly a viable metric at all. Under that method, we would say that Texas lost to Oklahoma, and Oklahoma lost to Kansas; therefore, Kansas is better than Texas.

The best way to assess a team's talent is to consider a wide array of factors together.
    Then you would be ignoring the many other metrics at play with Kansas.

Washington lost to one team.

3. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Washington did not play any of the three SEC teams mentioned.

Exactly, I'm saying that if I use the exact logic used by other people in here, it would lead to the conclusion that Kansas is better than Texas, which is obviously wrong. My point: that form of reasoning is bad.

If you want to say that Washington deserved to be in the CFP (which I don't disagree with, btw), make the point for other reasons. Say that they have a good QB and RB. Say that they were undefeated. Say that they beat Oregon twice. Etc.

5. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Exactly, I'm saying that if I use the exact logic used by other people in here, it would lead to the conclusion that Kansas is better than Texas, which is obviously wrong. My point: that form of reasoning is bad.

If you want to say that Washington deserved to be in the CFP (which I don't disagree with, btw), make the point for other reasons. Say that they have a good QB and RB. Say that they were undefeated. Say that they beat Oregon twice. Etc.
    Season to season production is a far better metic than simply relying on the conference of origin and it's past laurels .

6. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Washington did not play any of the three SEC teams mentioned.
    I already showed what games those teams could have dropped to play Washington.

7. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

I already showed what games those teams could have dropped to play Washington.
    Washington would never have even considered playing such a schedule so all of your points are moot.

8. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Maybe you can say only method but that does not make it a viable one. The test that JAB and I use is more akin to what Vegas would use in setting a line for those games were they to occur. We will get a better opportunity to see how that would have played out next year with a 12 team playoff. Until then, we each have our own beliefs on the subject without any real way to resolve the differences. We should do like good little brothers and good little sisters at this time and just agree to disagree until next year.
    The "line" is based on public opinion which is swayed by history.

No one thinks this.
    You are joking, right? Lots of people think this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    You are joking, right? Lots of people think this.
    Auburn and Texas AM are both in the SEC, and I think both of them would get absolutely stomped by Washington. I don't even think LSU could beat them. I don't think SEC teams are de facto better than anyone.

I think Bama and Georgia are good, not because they are in the SEC, but because Georgia stomped FSU by fifty points and Bama took Michigan to OT (after beating Georgia). Both teams are well coached with stacked rosters, and they seemed to get better as the season progressed.

Auburn and Texas AM are both in the SEC, and I think both of them would get absolutely stomped by Washington. I don't even think LSU could beat them. I don't think SEC teams are de facto better than anyone.

I think Bama and Georgia are good, not because they are in the SEC, but because Georgia stomped FSU by fifty points and Bama took Michigan to OT (after beating Georgia). Both teams are well coached with stacked rosters, and they seemed to get better as the season progressed.
    I'll also say that if FSU had their starting QB, I might have put them as National Champions. (And they aren't in the SEC).

12. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Indeed, the most meaningful National Championship in modern history was when Georgia beat TCU by 58 points and the entire nation finally learned that certain conferences simply don't belong in the conversation.
    Forgive me, I thought you made worthiness judgements based on conference alone.

I see I was wrong after seeing you latest FSU comment

13. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Washington would never have even considered playing such a schedule so all of your points are moot.
    Of course not, so why did you grasp at who could beat them?

Lol this is so true

15. Default Re: Who's your pick for the Football National championship?

Lol this is so true
    If Tennnessee had played Washington instead of Ball State or Tennessee Martin.

If Alabama had played Washington instead of Chatanooga.

If OleMiss had played Washington instead of Mercer.

If LSU or Missouri had played Washington instead of Grambling.

If Tennessee had played Washington instead of Austin Peay

Washington would have played a lot of games on the same day, ( ) and of course this could never happen but we would have a much clearer picture of how good the SEC (and W) were this past season.
    Isnt that what I said?

His moot point is moot.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10

Thread Information