Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Other Bowl Games...

Default Re: Other Bowl Games...

Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    Ginne, Tx st coach, makes $800,000 per year. They are getting something for their money. Everyone stop saying we could not get a good coach for under 1 million.
    We need to pay a coach $500K and then give him enough incentives that he could make as high as $1.2-$1.5 Million. Incentives could include

If we:
    1) have an undefeated season
    2) rank in the top 15
    2a) rank in the top 25
    3) win coach of the year
    4) win a bowl game
    5) win the west
    6) win the conference championship game
    7) have the highest Football GPA in conference
    8) Defeat a P4 school
    9) Lead conference in average attendance per home game
    10) ******* Add others I didn't think of*******

In return for the incentives, if the team has an overall losing season (including the Bowl game in a 6-6 season making the overall record 6-7) the buyout becomes null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by old alum View Post
    We need to pay a coach $500K and then give him enough incentives that he could make as high as $1.2-$1.5 Million. Incentives could include

If we:
    1) have an undefeated season
    2) rank in the top 15
    2a) rank in the top 25
    3) win coach of the year
    4) win a bowl game
    5) win the west
    6) win the conference championship game
    7) have the highest Football GPA in conference
    8) Defeat a P4 school
    9) Lead conference in average attendance per home game
    10) ******* Add others I didn't think of*******

In return for the incentives, if the team has an overall losing season (including the Bowl game in a 6-6 season making the overall record 6-7) the buyout becomes null and void.
    Not bad. How much would you be willing to pay his entire staff?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    After a horrible start, SBC ends up a mediocre 5-7 in bowl games. 4 of the 7 losses were 1 score losses, 2 of those being in OT.

Nothing to get excited about as a conference, but better than I thought we would be after being 1-6 after our first 7 games of bowl season.
    Tough to evaluate bowl games with so many guys going into the portal. Coaching changes are also a factor. Troy and James Madison both had coaches leave prior to their bowl game.

4. Default Re: Other Bowl Games...

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Tough to evaluate bowl games with so many guys going into the portal. Coaching changes are also a factor. Troy and James Madison both had coaches leave prior to their bowl game.
    Current year bowl games are starting to resembe a preseason game for next year, minus the influx.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Current year bowl games are starting to resemble a preseason game for next year, minus the influx.
    This is the general consensus if you listen to a lot of satellite radio, which I do.

With the exception of the playoff games, they definitely have a "Pro Bowl" feel to them.

When an expanded playoff is in place for what remains of collegiate football, most of these will go away.

Ye Ole Green Wave falling apart in 2nd half to former UL coach.

7. Default Re: Other Bowl Games...

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Ye Ole Green Wave falling apart in 2nd half to former UL coach.
    ……..When you lose your head coach, some assistants and your great QB…..the ink some guys also might be leaving or recruits not coming! UL 2!11

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    If you are bottom dollaring a HC, that’s a great question. Decent assistants aren’t going to be cheap unless you work guys instate that are there for the retirement and not advancement. Kinda the reason we have some assistants now.

UL assistant pool money is the same as when Napier was here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
    UL assistant pool money is the same as when Napier was here!!!
    We spend more money on football than any other Sunbelt school:
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-28 072309.png
Views: 131
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  football salaries.png
Views: 131
Size:  60.8 KB

App State football coaching salaries:
    Name:  app state.png
Views: 132
Size:  59.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    This is the general consensus if you listen to a lot of satellite radio, which I do.

With the exception of the playoff games, they definitely have a "Pro Bowl" feel to them.

When an expanded playoff is in place for what remains of collegiate football, most of these will go away.
    It will be hard to find bowl sponsors for 6-6 teams and half the roster opting not to play and/or transferring. The bowl games are no longer appealing. We may see a lot of bowls eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    It will be hard to find bowl sponsors for 6-6 teams and half the roster opting not to play and/or transferring. The bowl games are no longer appealing. We may see a lot of bowls eliminated.
    I hope so. A bowl game should be a reward for a great season and not for ____ty 6-6 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

Seems only a matter of time that playoffs see the opt out scenarios as well... why play two extra "free games" that you arent getting paid extra for and have even more chance for injury to hurt future career prospects.

And if the final game gets pushed to an even later date and then falls in the "spring" semester, wouldnt players have to be enrolled (and have progressed on track the entire prior semester) and that would cut down on how many early signees can enroll and remain within roster/scholarship limits

Even in nfl, isnt for postseason games all players still paid a set fee/stipend, which is less than the per game average of the normal salary of over 75 pct of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I think that the coaches that work with the head coach are more important than the head coach himself. The head coach is like the CEO and the assistants are like the people who actually run the operation AND GET RESULTS. The CEO (head coach) is to hire good people, make sure they are doing their jobs well, and to include them in the incentives for success. That means the head coach makes less money while attracting fine assistant coaches.

I would like to think I have a legit answer to your question, but I don't know enough about the STAFF SALARIES to honestly answer your question. I just think they need to make a larger percentage of the head coach's salary at our level than the assistants do at the TOP 10 schools.

Missouri scored in the 30s against most of the SEC. They can’t get a freaking yard against Ohio st. And Mizzou don’t have opt outs.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information