Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MBB COACH

Default Re: MBB COACH

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I wonder who has stuck the statement. I know I have, I haven’t been to a game since 2014.

That’s after having never missed a home game from 1998-2004. Then again in Marlins first year.

Complete roster turnover, and excuses told me all I needed to know.
    Same here. Was at every single game from from my college days during Evans era to 2 years ago. Season ticket holder from 2011-2021, and added tickets as the family grew. Also was a staunch Coach Marlin supporter for years.

I have been to 1 game between last year and this year.

2. Default Re: MBB COACH

Quote Originally Posted by old alum View Post
    Taking a HS superstar and teaching them to function as part of a team is coaching them up.

Taking a HS player with great unfulfilled potential and coaching them up to a higher level is something I have never seen out of Bob Marlin.

Taking players in general and teaching them to play with team and individual discipline is something he has no clue how to do.
    Sometimes you can tell the location of an individual by their shadow or lack of shadow.

When "good" Marlin players leave here they almost always have worse numbers at their next stop than they had when they were here.

"Team play" is where Marlin lacks.

He also can't coach players up. Generally speaking the players arrive and leave with pretty much the same skills.
    Kentrell Garnett is a counter to your argument. He has evolved from just a spot up three point guy to more of a complete player. He now regularly guards the opposition’s best perimeter player. In recent games he has added faking the three pointer and driving towards the basket where he shoots a mid range at a high percentage.

4. Default Re: MBB COACH

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Kentrell Garnett is a counter to your argument. He has evolved from just a spot up three point guy to more of a complete player. He now regularly guards the opposition’s best perimeter player. In recent games he has added faking the three pointer and driving towards the basket where he shoots a mid range at a high percentage.
    . . . Mike, don't you know that we can't let facts get in the way of a good pile on . . .

Bryant Mbamalu progressed quite nicely as well while here.

I just dont understand:
    I felt we were SOOOO close to ridding ourselves of this poor performer a year or two ago.
    Then - like a broken clock - he was "right' (lucky: most people knew we went to NCAAs IN SPITE OF - not BECAUSE of the coach) ONE TIME in 9 years, and all of a sudden he gets that idiotic extension! Is there not ANY up and comer that Maggart could have found???

He's also a huge reason why we struggle defensively on guards. He is too small. A backcourt of him and Fulks isnt good enough athletically and height wise late in games when the game slows down. Also a walk on, while we waste scholarships on guys like Nanucci and Vinny who will never play a minute here.

Marlin does non of the individual workouts with players … So how did he develop Kentrell. Garnett made Garnett better… There is no Love In the CITY for the head coach which trickles down to the players unfortunately…

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    I just dont understand:
    I felt we were SOOOO close to ridding ourselves of this poor performer a year or two ago.
    Then - like a broken clock - he was "right' (lucky: most people knew we went to NCAAs IN SPITE OF - not BECAUSE of the coach) ONE TIME in 9 years, and all of a sudden he gets that idiotic extension! Is there not ANY up and comer that Maggart could have found???
    People. His contract CALLED for this extension.

Taking a HS superstar and teaching them to function as part of a team is coaching them up.

Taking a HS player with great unfulfilled potential and coaching them up to a higher level is something I have never seen out of Bob Marlin.

Taking players in general and teaching them to play with team and individual discipline is something he has no clue how to do.

When the team won conference I was told by some players on the team that it was PLAYERS that made the team work, not the coach. Those players wanted better for themselves and for the team so they had more to do with the team success than the coach.
    ALL the good teams are player led. Will Wade recently said that is a reason the current McNeese team is having success. Tony said the same thing about his best baseball teams. Go back to our football success of 2019 to 2021. The leadership provided by Levi Lewis was a huge factor in that success.

Quote Originally Posted by BBOYD View Post
    Marlin does non of the individual workouts with players … So how did he develop Kentrell. Garnett made Garnett better… There is no Love In the CITY for the head coach which trickles down to the players unfortunately…
    Kentrell deserves a lot of the credit for his improvement. Assistant coaches also are part of that development.

12. Default Re: MBB COACH

Quote Originally Posted by BBOYD View Post
    Marlin does non of the individual workouts with players … So how did he develop Kentrell. Garnett made Garnett better…
    System?

HC gets blame, and credit for cracks of light

13. Default Re: MBB COACH

. . . the agenda always shields the light . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    People. His contract CALLED for this extension.
    What about a Buyout??? Look back to 2022 Threads: There WAS a way....

15. Default Re: MBB COACH

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    What about a Buyout??? Look back to 2022 Threads: There WAS a way....
    . . . when you are $5.6mm in the hole, there will be no buyout . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information