Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fire Maggard?

Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCaelan04 View Post
    Here’s my Keep/Fire list of our main 5 sports teams.

Fire:
    Desormeaux- with our current 2024 schedule I don’t see us winning more than 4 games (Grambling, Kennesaw, USM, ULM). If he goes 4-8 he needs the axe.

IDK:
    Brodhead(?)- I don’t pay attention much to women’s basketball.

Keep:
    Marlin- he led us to a Sun Belt Championship tournament and regular-season championship. We were three points away from advancing to R32. Slow start this far in the season but in a top-heavy SBC, we should right the ship.

Deggs- it’s hard to fill the shoes of such an iconic and great college baseball coach. But two tourney appearances with an SBC championship and runnerup in 3 full seasons is a good start.

Glasco- duh.
    So you keeping Marlin. You are now President and CEO of the Mediocrity Club. Wow. Just WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Turbine, while this is generally correct, the program was only 5 years away from back to back regular season championships and an At Large bid to the NCAA Tourney in a conference vastly superior to today's SBC. Brodhead has one regular season title and no tournament title in 12 years
    Pointed this out awhile back, got a lot of blowback like look what he started with, injuries, family health, one of us, etc. Maybe times have changed.

Since the twins bailed on the recruiting class a few years back, it seems injuries have been a constant. And, my personal observation, the kid from Merryville, something wasn’t right. Going win POY in the conference at Samford speaks to this

I like CGB. He put in time growing career wise before coming home. He took on a crappy program. The problem is nobody really cares except parents and a few true fans I have sat with before. They love the game, know the kids, and are there every game.

But at the end of the day, still one at large NCAA bid with a world class player and that’s been it in over half a century. With a salary of 208k plus perks (not sure of any RCAF $), where does the program go?

3. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . you blew it and you know it . . . quit parsing words in an attempt to rectify the boneheaded position you took at the time . . .
    Zero parsing is going on here. I stand by what I say, unlike you, who can't even keep an honest RP screen name. My position was correct then and it remains to be seen what happens about Omaha. I still don't like the way he manages the game, but if we can pitch, we can get back to the promised land.

Your narrative on this has been blown to smithereens, just like majority of other positions you take. If you'd put down the TSAB games when you're at the Tigue, maybe you could see what the rest of us see.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Unpopular thing to say, but no one really cares about women's basketball.
    Not true. I go to 70% of the games and there is small but consistent group of supporters there. The crowd is not bad with the regulars and people who show up from time to time.

I will say that they are nowhere near as good as Softball, but the ladies on our basketball team play really hard from buzzer to buzzer.

and while I am mentioning women's sports I will say that Kristi Gray (coach of the Volleyball team) is very impressive. The team went from 15-13 last year to 19-13 this year. She came from Odessa College and her team there was a national power among junior colleges. Maybe we need to look at Football Coaches in the Junior College power teams.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    So you keeping Marlin. You are now President and CEO of the Mediocrity Club. Wow. Just WOW.
    Bob Marlin is 247-175 (.585) at UL. Take away all the cupcake teams we play and our record pretty much stinks.

UL Football Re: Fire Maggard?

TWO YEARS AGO TODAY WE WERE CELEBRATING FOOTBALLS 13TH WIN IN A ROW. Since that time it took us two years to get 12 wins, and we have a 12-14 overall record. The Michael Desormeaux experiment needs to come to an end NOW.

Sorry for the all-caps. I was yelling out of frustration. I am one who likes Brian Maggard, but hiring Desormeaux was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by old alum View Post
    Bob Marlin is 247-175 (.585) at UL. Take away all the cupcake teams we play and our record pretty much stinks.
    Bob Marlin has a 75% winning percentage at UL. Just ask our AD.

8. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Who should go first? Personally I don't care about the order. I would fire everyone on this list prior to firing Brian Maggard. Everyone on the football and basketball list need to go, and I actually think that, given complete control over the future hires, Brian Maggard would get us good coaches for football and basketball.

Brian Maggard

Bob Marlin
    Derrick Zimmerman
    Casey Perrin
    Neil Hardin
    Phillip Shumpert

Michael Desormeaux
    LaMar Morgan
    Tim Leger
    Jorge Munoz
    Matt Bergeron
    Jeff Burris
    Mike Giuliani
    Jeff Norrid
    Bryant Ross
    Galen Scott
    Dennis Thomas
    Luke Paschall
    ___________ (fill in the blank)
    What about Troy Wingerter? Is he part of the problem too?

9. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    To me this was Maggard's biggest strikeout, openly stating that the hire was based on an OUTGOING coaches recommendation.
    Lets all remember that Des is one of the only assistants Napier chose to leave behind when going to Florida. If Des is/was that good, wouldn't Napier had kept him? That says something too.

Quote Originally Posted by Airden View Post
    Lets all remember that Des is one of the only assistants Napier chose to leave behind when going to Florida. If Des is/was that good, wouldn't Napier had kept him? That says something too.
    Des isn’t leaving Acadiana. When this gig is up his college coaching days are done.

I don’t think Des should have been hired but that argument is not a good reasoning.

Des was hired here before Napier completed staff at Florida. If Des doesnt get hired here, we don’t know if he doesn’t go there. It’s unlikely he would have but no one knows.

12. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I don’t think Des should have been hired but that argument is not a good reasoning.

Des was hired here before Napier completed staff at Florida. If Des doesnt get hired here, we don’t know if he doesn’t go there. It’s unlikely he would have but no one knows.
    But Napier offered his recommendation to Maggard in keeping Des at UL, that means Napier didnt want him. You wouldn't recommend someone you wanted to take with you.

But Napier offered his recommendation to Maggard in keeping Des at UL, that means Napier didnt want him. You wouldn't recommend someone you wanted to take with you.
    You don’t know that. If Des let it be known he wanted the job, if Napier has any care for his staff, he’d offer a recommendation.

I don’t think he should have been hired but it has nothing to do with if Florida would hire him as an assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Bob Marlin has a 75% winning percentage at UL. Just ask our AD.
    247/422=.585

I don't care what anyone says, Math is Math, and his winning percentage is .585.

15. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

247/422=.585

I don't care what anyone says, Math is Math, and his winning percentage is .585.
    Maggard's 75% Winning percentage quote was before last season raised it a bit, he may have had a 57% dyslexic moment.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information