Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fire Maggard?

1. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Yep. And that is a rarity in college football today. Word is that Maggard encouraged Billy to retain Des because of how he handled the interim coach period.

Chances are a new head coach would bring in a completely new staff.
    . . . Napier kept CMD and Napier recommended CMD for HFC when he left . . . pretty high credentials from a top notch SEC coach, or is Napier just a fraud . . .

2. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    He's talking about me because I said Deggs wasn't the guy to get us back to omaha and I constantly questioned his wreckless coaching style.

What he omits is that the comment was predicated upon being stubborn about firing Jeremy Talbot and not letting the pitching coaches do their job.

Since he fired JT and started to let go of micro-managing his pitching staff, I've praised Deggs over and over for being willing to evolve. I also have ALWAYS said I'll never question Deggs' desire to win or understanding of competition at elite levels.

Having said that, making the tournament is not the pinnacle of this program as it is in MBB. Deggs and his supporters expect to make a run at Omaha every single year and that is the biggest difference between the diamond sports and every other sport at this school.

But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of the troll's narrative.
    . . . what you post is not what happened . . .

3. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Turbine, while this is generally correct, the program was only 5 years away from back to back regular season championships and an At Large bid to the NCAA Tourney in a conference vastly superior to today's SBC. Brodhead has one regular season title and no tournament title in 12 years
    Has it been that long?

Case in point.

Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Here’s my Keep/Fire list of our main 5 sports teams.

Fire:
    Desormeaux- with our current 2024 schedule I don’t see us winning more than 4 games (Grambling, Kennesaw, USM, ULM). If he goes 4-8 he needs the axe.

IDK:
    Brodhead(?)- I don’t pay attention much to women’s basketball.

Keep:
    Marlin- he led us to a Sun Belt Championship tournament and regular-season championship. We were three points away from advancing to R32. Slow start this far in the season but in a top-heavy SBC, we should right the ship.

Deggs- it’s hard to fill the shoes of such an iconic and great college baseball coach. But two tourney appearances with an SBC championship and runnerup in 3 full seasons is a good start.

Glasco- duh.

He's talking about me because I said Deggs wasn't the guy to get us back to omaha and I constantly questioned his wreckless coaching style.

What he omits is that the comment was predicated upon being stubborn about firing Jeremy Talbot and not letting the pitching coaches do their job.

Since he fired JT and started to let go of micro-managing his pitching staff, I've praised Deggs over and over for being willing to evolve. I also have ALWAYS said I'll never question Deggs' desire to win or understanding of competition at elite levels.

Having said that, making the tournament is not the pinnacle of this program as it is in MBB. Deggs and his supporters expect to make a run at Omaha every single year and that is the biggest difference between the diamond sports and every other sport at this school.

This. Softball has been to 24 consecutive Regionals, and have a string of 15 consecutive Tournaments reaching at least Regional Championship Sunday. Not to mention that among those 24, there are 2 WCWS appearances and 6 seasons that ended in Super Regionals. "Just" going to a Regional is so mundane that it is considered a disappointing season if we don't win it. Baseball is not quite that successful, but does vastly exceed the success levels of all other sports that don't involve a bat. [Track & Field used to be at this level, but cratered after Coach Lancon's untimely death and is only now beginning to improve.]

6. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

. . . JT was not there in 2022 . . . try again . . .

7. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . Napier kept CMD and Napier recommended CMD for HFC when he left . . . pretty high credentials from a top notch SEC coach, or is Napier just a fraud . . .
    To me this was Maggard's biggest strikeout, openly stating that the hire was based on an OUTGOING coaches recommendation.

8. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    To me this was Maggard's biggest strikeout, openly stating that the hire was based on an OUTGOING coaches recommendation.
    . . . can anyone say that was not one good reason to consider the hire . . . now you are acting like that was the ONLY reason for the hire . . . was Napier a fraud or not . . .

9. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

. . . can anyone say that was not one good reason to consider the hire . . . now you are acting like that was the ONLY reason for the hire . . . was Napier a fraud or not . . .
    If it isn't a valid reason, you keep mum.

It has nothing to do with whether Napier was "a fraud or not" he was irrelevant as soon as he took another job.

Napier is not a fraud for putting in a recommendation. To hire the guy with very little experience and taking napiers advice is questionable at the least.

11. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

. . . JT was not there in 2022 . . . try again . . .
    That group of 3 letters that used, A N D, is a common English word that signifies an addition to the sentence. Conjunction, in more traditional terms.

12. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If it isn't a valid reason, you keep mum.

It has nothing to do with whether Napier was "a fraud or not" he was irrelevant as soon as he took another job.
    . . . so your boss for the last four years of your career is no longer a valid or relevant reference in determining the next step in the rest of your career . . . ok, I got it now . . .

13. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

That group of 3 letters that used, A N D, is a common English word that signifies an addition to the sentence. Conjunction, in more traditional terms.
    . . . you blew it and you know it . . . quit parsing words in an attempt to rectify the boneheaded position you took at the time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Even if I agreed with you, which I don't, we have to spend about what we are spending because of Title IX. I am only saying that we should demand actual good performance for our money.
    I'll agree with that.

15. Default Re: Fire Maggard?

. . . so your boss for the last four years of your career is no longer a valid or relevant reference in determining the next step in the rest of your career . . . ok, I got it now . . .
    A former fellow employee at the time of the supposed resignation/recommendation.

Not a valid reason to frog jump all other considerations.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information