Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RIP Don Allen

Default RIP Don Allen

Don passed away last night. Very sad news.

He was the “Voice of the Cajuns” that I grew up with and to this day, the best basketball play by play guy I’ve heard.

He was also excellent on football broadcasts, as well as the job he did as the track announcer at EVD.

Rest in Peace Don. You’ll be missed.

Default Re: RIP Don Allen

Worked with Don at kpel many years ago, he was one of a kind. RIP Don

Damn. RIP. He was the voice I associated with the Cajuns as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Don passed away last night. Very sad news.

He was the “Voice of the Cajuns” that I grew up with and to this day, the best basketball play by play guy I’ve heard.

He was also excellent on football broadcasts, as well as the job he did as the track announcer at EVD.

Rest in Peace Don. You’ll be missed.
    Wow. At one point, I was driving through central Mississippi listening to the radio, heard a commercial, unmistakably Don Allen's voice.

He was the voice of the Cajuns for so many years. He will be missed.

RIP

Sorry to hear this. I grew up listening to him on the radio calling Cajun games. He was in our fantasy football league a few years ago and would get to see him when we held our draft. RIP Don.

We lost one of the greats in Cajun Nation. I will never forget his voice and I also loved his commentary and written stories about the sports world that we lived in. Condolences to his family.

Same for me.. I listened to Don call games for years.. Sad to hear

Don and Ron Gomez were a great broadcast team for the Cajuns, back during the glory days of USL Basketball in the late 60's and early 70's. Don continued on with Jay after Ron retired.

We fans of USL and UL have been blessed with fantastic radio broadcasters for the past half century or more. It will be very interesting to see who will pick up the torch when Jay decides to retire.

RIP Don!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Don and Ron Gomez were a great broadcast team for the Cajuns, back during the glory days of USL Basketball in the late 60's and early 70's. Don continued on with Jay after Ron retired.

We fans of USL and UL have been blessed with fantastic radio broadcasters for the past half century or more. It will be very interesting to see who will pick up the torch when Jay decides to retire.

RIP Don!
    Rip Don. Don also was a member of this site and posted from time to time.

I am thinking Eric Mouton and Bobby Neveau to take Jay's place.

Sad news. RIP

Damn…Don was the introductory voice of the Cajuns in my youth. I can clearly remember listening to him call games with my father. May he rest in peace.

RIP Don Allen.

One of the best to do it.

Thanks for the memories.

RIP Don. I have fond memories of growing up listening to him calling the Cajuns on my grandfathers old radio. Thanks Don!

15. Default Re: RIP Don Allen

Don was an old school reporter who didn't mind telling the administration when they needed to step up their game.

For this he was (at times) treated persona non grata.

For instance he, wrote a story near the end of the Baldwin era that the University could no longer get away with just announcing that season tickets were on sale, more was needed. They obviously didn’t listen and attendance has never recovered.

He wrote a story on fan apathy (I will try to find it and post it)

Before the internet and before easy to scour databases he was great at identifying pivotal moments in sports history.

I thought he was (at times) condesending towards his color guys by not responding, but looking back he was there for one thing and they were there for another.

I thought then and think now Don Allen was one of the best.

He has been and will continue to be missed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information