Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NIL, professional sports and Brown

1. Default Re: NIL, professional sports and Brown

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    200,000 invested at just 5% compounded would give you almost $1,500,000 in 40 years.
    100% true but unless he is a unicorn in this regard there will be a lifteime of coulda woulda shoulda meditation as to where his one-n-done money went.

I hope he is a unicorn when it comes to savings.

2. Default Re: NIL, professional sports and Brown

. . . I’m willing to give him more credit than “he was dumb to go get the money” and “he will be dumb now that he has the money” and I am not willing to go with all of the heathenous and unconfirmed projections about his daddy, agent or aunt-Ty . . . I am also not willing to place him into the category of NBA players who are now broke without giving him the opportunity to seal his fate . . .

Default Re: NIL, professional sports and Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Temporary finances aside . with the move, the talent level he left with hit a brick wall, that's for sure.

Rust develops quickly.

There is zero doubt he could have improved his game by staying put.

You can't improve by riding the bench, never being able to get in a groove.
    Memphis brought in SEVEN guys in the situation Jordon Brown was in. No way to keep all those guys happy either on the court or off. Finding a fit in the system is difficult anytime you move. Jordan does not have the three point game the NBA now requires of most players, even centers. His great moves around the basket may not be a good fit at Memphis according to the way they want to play. In the NBA, he would also get bumped off his spot and fouls are rarely called in those situations. His free throw shooting would also be a problem. As far as playing in Europe goes, you can make good money in Germany, Italy, and Spain. There are plenty of other pro opportunities overseas that will not pay what he is supposedly gaining at Memphis this season. Financially speaking, he made the right move. Basketball wise, he may have been better off spending one more year. Playing more would help to prepare him for his next stop.

I love how strangers are so sure of how someone else should capitalize on his talent and opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    I love how strangers are so sure of how someone else should capitalize on his talent and opportunity.
    Guy did alright for himself

Realized during the off-season he wasn't going to the NBA so took a deal that gave him a little cash, can pay off any debt he might have, and go make a decent living in Europe

200,000 invested at just 5% compounded would give you almost $1,500,000 in 40 years.
    $1.5 mill in 40 years ain’t gonna be a whole lot of money my dude.

7. Default Re: NIL, professional sports and Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns1 View Post
    . . . that is at a 5% growth and it is a whole lot more money than $0 dollars, wouldn’t you say . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns1 View Post
    Checks notes: not a lot now

He only has sent one tweet this entire semester, maybe he broke the NIL deal

But what will it be worth.

I use to laugh when my dad bought a car in the 90’s and he remarked the car cost more than he paid for their 2,400’ home on the Teche in ‘59.

Not funny now that it’s happening to people my age. What will it be in 2050?

11. Default Re: NIL, professional sports and Brown

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    . . . no joke and agenda here always says the money will be squandered . . .

. . . many here were upset with Brown when he chose to transfer to another school and substantially increase the amount of NIL he would make in his final season playing college basketball . . .

. . . I for one thought he would have at least a fighting chance to play in the NBA . . . well his year at Memphis proved two things . . . he probably doesn't and the level of basketball played in the Sunbelt is marginal at best . . .

. . . one thing it did prove however is that he may have been one of the smartest men in Lafayette to take the move and increased NIL as it is now apparent that he probably has no future in the NBA and he got paid for this year substantially more than he probably stands to make in the next 5 to 7 years of his post basketball career, all in one year and if he invests that money as opposed to spending it he has a made retirement which is pretty good at his age . . .
    He was never an NBA guy. He was and probably will play in Europe and can probably have a nice career but I appreciate the lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Memphis brought in SEVEN guys in the situation Jordon Brown was in. No way to keep all those guys happy either on the court or off. Finding a fit in the system is difficult anytime you move. Jordan does not have the three point game the NBA now requires of most players, even centers. His great moves around the basket may not be a good fit at Memphis according to the way they want to play. In the NBA, he would also get bumped off his spot and fouls are rarely called in those situations. His free throw shooting would also be a problem. As far as playing in Europe goes, you can make good money in Germany, Italy, and Spain. There are plenty of other pro opportunities overseas that will not pay what he is supposedly gaining at Memphis this season. Financially speaking, he made the right move. Basketball wise, he may have been better off spending one more year. Playing more would help to prepare him for his next stop.
    You don't have to shoot the 3 well to be a center in the NBA. You have to do all the other things that JB is just not as good at doing. Setting pics, defending the perimeter and protecting the rim which he just doesn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    He was never an NBA guy. He was and probably will play in Europe and can probably have a nice career but I appreciate the lecture.
    Maybe not but he will make a nice living playing overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You don't have to shoot the 3 well to be a center in the NBA. You have to do all the other things that JB is just not as good at doing. Setting pics, defending the perimeter and protecting the rim which he just doesn't do.
    Good points there. Cody Zeller of the Pelicans is a center who does a good job at the things you mentioned. He has played around a decade in the league by doing things that don’t show up in the box score.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information