Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

Default Re: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Great point. I Probably never even said martin hall once, except maybe when I was looking for my grandma's graduation brick
    LOL! I did not go in there either, it was creepy!

Maybe all this started when they actually made a student tailgate which at the time sounded good, but maybe its time just to abolish the student tailgate to eliminate any control over it and let them just tailgate wherever. Government control always gets in the way. That way its a win win for everyone.

3. Default Re: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    But they have student loans that will be forgiven and/or mommies and daddies
    I remember hearing stories of my uncle being able to pay his own tuition at USL just from working part time in the early 90’s. That’s a next-to-impossible feat nowadays - I can’t blame students of today wanting to save. It took me two years to pay off my masters from UL, and I earn a decent salary. I wish tuition could go back to being $500 per semester lol

Quote Originally Posted by bbhstiger5 View Post
    I remember hearing stories of my uncle being able to pay his own tuition at USL just from working part time in the early 90’s. That’s a next-to-impossible feat nowadays - I can’t blame students of today wanting to save. It took me two years to pay off my masters from UL, and I earn a decent salary. I wish tuition could go back to being $500 per semester lol
    Certainly possible. I went to school in early-mid 90s as well.
    Tuition was 1000 a semester and 1000 for dorm and meal plan a semester.

Usually my goal for summer job was to save $2000. Very easy to accomplish.

In the 70's my dad had a "full" scholarship which paid out a whopping $75 bucks a semester and that was all he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCaelan04 View Post
    As students, we get only one perk of a bowl game: a cheaper ticket, $67 (comes out to $73 with fees). Never mind the fact that general admission tickets NOT through UL are $60.

On top of this, they give no incentive for us to go and show up and out. No package that includes a hotel for Friday night and some tourism/food money. No fan bus. Nothing to make it worth it.

Now, if they roll it out in the next couple days, that’ll be great. I understand that I may be jumping the gun in griping. But once again, the students are left to dry and then expected to turn around and support the university that actively hates them.
    Man, when I was a student, we couldn't make a bowl game. Then after I graduated and was excited to get involved, we dealt with the freaking toothpick years. Now, you're looking for incentives to go to a bowl game in NOLA? I wouldn't want a student bus because I'd have a caravan of friends going in our own vehicles. There's nothing the school can give you to make it "worth it". You're a student who can go see your team play in a bowl game two hours away while having an epic weekend. The opportunity is the incentive itself.

When I was student we played Tulane a few times we didn’t need help finding NOLA.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhstiger5 View Post
    Thank you for paying off your own commitment.

Last semester, 12 hours, $191.50, ‘79. Walked out debt free. No vacations, worked full time pretty much year round. Apartment life.

USL sports was our entertainment, hence pretty much a life long fan. That’s a big disconnect today with today’s students, alternative distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Man, when I was a student, we couldn't make a bowl game. Then after I graduated and was excited to get involved, we dealt with the freaking toothpick years. Now, you're looking for incentives to go to a bowl game in NOLA? I wouldn't want a student bus because I'd have a caravan of friends going in our own vehicles. There's nothing the school can give you to make it "worth it". You're a student who can go see your team play in a bowl game two hours away while having an epic weekend. The opportunity is the incentive itself.
    The shine has worn off, we have said this a million times...if we want fans to attend games we have to provide more than just football. Like it or not its the way it is. The older fans can sit here on this board and crap on the students and younger fans about it and yell at them as our attendance to continues to drop or yall can help contribute and come up with better ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

Last semester, 12 hours, $191.50, ‘79. Walked out debt free. No vacations, worked full time pretty much year round. Apartment life.

USL sports was our entertainment, hence pretty much a life long fan. That’s a big disconnect today with today’s students, alternative distractions.
    About the same for me. I was done in ‘80. Roustabouted at $3.50/hr my summers to afford school and apartment life.

10. Default Re: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

. . . done in 82 . . . lived at home . . . accounting degree in three years . . . no debt . . . attended most football, basketball and baseball games . . . just glorious

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . done in 82 . . . lived at home . . . accounting degree in three years . . . no debt . . . attended most football, basketball and baseball games . . . just glorious
    ...all that and forgot to mention what cum laude?

12. Default Re: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmole View Post
    ...all that and forgot to mention what cum laude?
    . . . oh yes, the little gold sticker on the bottom left of the diploma . . .

13. Default Re: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

Similar story but slightly different circumstances in 68. At the time I knew young scuba divers who worked for offshore platform and drilling companies. They drove new sporty cars, nice apartments, and paid for their education for three months in the Gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    The shine has worn off, we have said this a million times...if we want fans to attend games we have to provide more than just football. Like it or not its the way it is. The older fans can sit here on this board and crap on the students and younger fans about it and yell at them as our attendance to continues to drop or yall can help contribute and come up with better ideas.
    Thanks for the lecture.

15. UL Football Re: Martin Hall vs. the Students.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Thanks for the lecture.
    You can’t convert a woman into liking you by disparaging her, you’ve got to improve yourself and your technique. The older fans aren’t the ones that will be disappointed when they pass on. Martin Hall probably doesn’t care much one way or the other. It’s really up to the youngsters. I’m beginning to think athletic entertainment might be a thing that has had its time. You have to be crazy rich to give these kids $120K over 4 years in addition to NIL, scholarships, cost of living upscale lifestyle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information