Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Jacksonville State in 2023 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by SportyCajun459 View Post
    Have to admit that I am the fan you are describing. I am 55 years old. I have always been a casual football fan. Only go when I am given a free ticket but my preference is to stay home on Saturday in my Lazy Boy and watch what I think are better quality games on tv. Doesn't matter the conference, just the match-ups. Will watch the Cajuns on tv if they are the best game on at the time. Currently only have season tickets for softball and never miss a home series. The games aren't long and the girls are athletic and fun to watch. My wife and I travel to some out of town games that are within a 4 hour driving distance. Used to have basketball season tickets until the price got too crazy the past couple of years. Probably going to get crapped on for making this post.
    98% of the people in Acadiana are you.

There might be 2-3k people in the area that will buy season tickets to football no matter what. The rest of the season tickets sell to people who have been buying them for years, and continue to do so for nostalgic reasons, or just because they always have. If given a decent reason, they'll finally let them go and then realize that they really don't miss them much.

And the school just keeps giving them one reason after another to dump them

Have to admit that I am the fan you are describing. I am 55 years old. I have always been a casual football fan. Only go when I am given a free ticket but my preference is to stay home on Saturday in my Lazy Boy and watch what I think are better quality games on tv. Doesn't matter the conference, just the match-ups. Will watch the Cajuns on tv if they are the best game on at the time. Currently only have season tickets for softball and never miss a home series. The games aren't long and the girls are athletic and fun to watch. My wife and I travel to some out of town games that are within a 4 hour driving distance. Used to have basketball season tickets until the price got too crazy the past couple of years. Probably going to get crapped on for making this post.
    Don't see it that way. Some people just like some sports over others. I love Softball games and often pick those over baseball if they are playing at the same time. I'm still a fan of all UL sports, though.

I choose to buy 5 season tickets for football and at least I won't miss those games. Not all family members go. I don't buy season tickets for other sports because football takes up most of the ticket budget. So, we'll go to a hand full of other games (basketball, baseball, softball as we can) throughout those seasons. I still follow or watch most of the games. Just won't be in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    You would think people would have changed their perception on this “move up” nonsense after watching app state, Georgia southern, coastal Carolina, jmu liberty and jax state move up and immediately start whipping people’s asses. Maybe that talent disparity between fcs and fbs wasn’t what people thought and more about 22 less scholarships.
    You are 100% correct. Amazing that people that follow the sunbelt can’t see this.

4. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    You are 100% correct. Amazing that people that follow the sunbelt can’t see this.
    There is a pecking order in the G5. There is a reason why AAC teams went to P5 conferences and not MAC teams. G5 programs aren’t linear. You are the company you keep.

5. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

CMD is having to deal with something no other coach had to deal with. It is the Transfer Portal and NIL, (Name Image and Likeness), saga. Hard to compare what Mike has endured his first two years to any other previous coach.

6. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Bullet View Post
    CMD is having to deal with something no other coach had to deal with. It is the Transfer Portal and NIL, (Name Image and Likeness), saga. Hard to compare what Mike has endured his first two years to any other previous coach.
    Now do Jon Sumrall at Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    22-4

Truth.

9. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Uncharted territory

I thought he was hired because he could keep the players here. It's his own fault he refuses or does not know how to use the portal. Every school in America deals with the portal some are better than others when dealing with it. Other than Monroe we are the worse at getting talent from the portal in the SBC.

I'm with you only two years older. I gave up my basketball and softball tickets this year. In the last three years I've gone to maybe 10 SB games not series, and four basketball games. I use to buy the tickets and give them away to support the university. I hate to say it but football is driving me away all together. I've been a UL fan since attending FM Hamilton in kindergarten through seventh grade back in the seventies. Even though I may not attend I will still be a fan. I've made more road trips in all sport than home games just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Who previously was never more than a position coach or co-DC…they really Troy state’d that hire. Hires either work or they don’t. Very few coaches actually are successful at every stop they have been. An extreme minority have a straight trajectory to the top, not even Saban or Meyer. In fact I can’t even think of a highly successful coach that didn’t struggle somewhere or at some point. I’m not satisfied with where we are either but he is the coach and I don’t see how it helps to constantly hammer him. I don’t think there is anyone who wants to win more than Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    I thought he was hired because he could keep the players here. It's his own fault he refuses or does not know how to use the portal. Every school in America deals with the portal some are better than others when dealing with it. Other than Monroe we are the worse at getting talent from the portal in the SBC.
    How would one keep players here that no longer have eligibility? He lost a ton to graduation, the 2021 team had 6th, 5th and 4 year seniors on it. Some were out of eligibility, some were done with football and just wanted to move on. A lot only came back to get that championship.

Who previously was never more than a position coach or co-DC…they really Troy state’d that hire. Hires either work or they don’t. Very few coaches actually are successful at every stop they have been. An extreme minority have a straight trajectory to the top, not even Saban or Meyer. In fact I can’t even think of a highly successful coach that didn’t struggle somewhere or at some point. I’m not satisfied with where we are either but he is the coach and I don’t see how it helps to constantly hammer him. I don’t think there is anyone who wants to win more than Mike.
    LOL Sumrall had actual experience. Coaching at the FBS level since 2005. Not someone who had 6 years experience coaching and never coached outside of the area he was born in.

15. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Comment wasn't to demean Mike. I have been one of the few defenders of him.

The point is, even with all the "reasons" people are throwing around for lack of success, other coaches are winning in spite of them. At peer institutions. With stronger SOS. Now, Sumrall has had an experienced veteran core of players his entire time there and that certainly matters. But it's ridiculous to keep laying out all the reasons we can't win. We can win, despite the challenges, because others are figuring out a way to do it.

I think the majority of people seemingly "hammering" Des are people pushing back nonsensical takes. It should be pretty obvious to everyone that this team underachieved and things need to be shaken up.

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread Information