Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Jacksonville State in 2023 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I'm with yall on all of this. But we are having two different conversations here. It's not really about the bowl or the reward of the bowl or the matchup or the possibility of winning or any of that.
    It’s about setting the program back 10 years. There is nothing that can happen in a bowl game almost nobody outside of the two fan bases will follow that could set us back 10 years. In two years we went from Huds train wreck to Napier success. From Napier to current mediocrity took 2 seasons, or 1 really. Things just aren’t that permanent. The one entity that can truly set us back for extended periods is Martin Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    You would think people would have changed their perception on this “move up” nonsense after watching app state, Georgia southern, coastal Carolina, jmu liberty and jax state move up and immediately start whipping people’s asses. Maybe that talent disparity between fcs and fbs wasn’t what people thought and more about 22 less scholarships.
    Hard to dismiss

Do they run tempo and spread? If so, we'll need to score a minimum of 36 points offensively to win the game.
    Like I said last night, Rich Rod must be lickin his chops getting to face off against Lamar the mask Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Tell that to the 11 teams that lost to JMU this year.
    JMU would wipe the floor with Jax St. Apples and Oranges again Jacob. You always leave out the ever important context.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Like I said last night, Rich Rod must be lickin his chops getting to face off against Lamar the mask Morgan
    This is my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Kudos to Ragin Review or whomever caught this on Ticketmaster last night!
    Also, what happened to “Any time, Any place”. Wasn’t that what Boise said in their rise to fame? We just have to lace ‘em up and kick some butt. Control the things that we can control.
    Well, werent we supposed to be on "the revenge tour" this year? How'd that work out?

7. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    It’s about setting the program back 10 years. There is nothing that can happen in a bowl game almost nobody outside of the two fan bases will follow that could set us back 10 years. In two years we went from Huds train wreck to Napier success. From Napier to current mediocrity took 2 seasons, or 1 really. Things just aren’t that permanent. The one entity that can truly set us back for extended periods is Martin Hall.
    This is where I disagree wholeheartedly. It's a national TV game against a team most people will be saying "They are FBS?" to when they see them. In less than two full seasons, we've gone from being in the same conversation as Cincy and Boise St, being picked by some to beat Texas in Austin, jockeying for Top 20 positioning, the nation's longest winning streak, BEATING the Fiesta Bowl Champs on the road and being outright SBC Champs to. wondering if we can muster 3-4K fans to travel two hours away to maybe beat Jacksonville State.

As far as perception and reputation goes, that is a fall from grace akin to Bill Cosby folks.

8. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    What was your phrase, "3rd and Morgan"? lol

This is where I disagree wholeheartedly. It's a national TV game against a team most people will be saying "They are FBS?" to when they see them. In less than two full seasons, we've gone from being in the same conversation as Cincy and Boise St, being picked by some to beat Texas in Austin, jockeying for Top 20 positioning, the nation's longest winning streak, BEATING the Fiesta Bowl Champs on the road and being outright SBC Champs to. wondering if we can muster 3-4K fans to travel two hours away to maybe beat Jacksonville State.

As far as perception and reputation goes, that is a fall from grace akin to Bill Cosby folks.
    And next year CMD could figure it out, go 11-1 and nobody will care about the New Orleans bowl.

Or he could ____ the bed, next season get fired, and be replaced by the next Napier who goes 11-1 and nobody will care about the 2023 New Orleans bowl.

My point is this game is almost insignificant as compared to the decisions Martin hall makes over the next few years. And certainly will not have a decade of influence on our trajectory.

What was your phrase, "3rd and Morgan"? lol
    3rd and Lamar Morgan! Not sure if I dropped the F bomb during the pod but I damn sure was dropping it during the Troy game

11. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    And next year CMD could figure it out, go 11-1 and nobody will care about the New Orleans bowl.

Or he could ____ the bed, next season get fired, and be replaced by the next Napier who goes 11-1 and nobody will care about the 2023 New Orleans bowl.

My point is this game is almost insignificant as compared to the decisions Martin hall makes over the next few years. And certainly will not have a decade of influence on our trajectory.
    I hear you. Perception is reality, especially with our fickle fanbase. Once people realize they don't need UL sports to pass their time or don't need to feel obligated to supporting UL, or enjoy their weekends better without it, they're never coming back. Couple that with Boomers dying off and you have a major issue on the horizon. Last thing we need is to take steps backward on the fields/courts of play.

I hear you. Perception is reality, especially with our fickle fanbase. Once people realize they don't need UL sports to pass their time or don't need to feel obligated to supporting UL, or enjoy their weekends better without it, they're never coming back. Couple that with Boomers dying off and you have a major issue on the horizon. Last thing we need is to take steps backward on the fields/courts of play.
    Steep road ahead. People discovered during Covid that they liked watching all the games on a giant TV that costs a few hundred bucks once rather than one game that costs nearly that each time. Unless you are one of the programs with a long established history and deep fan support it will be difficult to get those people back to the stadiums. Losing, especially if it’s in embarrassing fashion, to an unknown defintely won’t help.

Yes. I fully get that people don’t see how it sets us back. And that is the part that blows my mind.
    Enlighten us.
    What sets us back is if we cannot retain our all SBC players. Sunbelt football is about having a difference maker at QB and having a defense that can at least slow down offenses. That has been behind almost all of our successful teams. You have those two ingredients and you are winning 8+ games. The trick for us is to retain our good players and find 3 star players who the big guys don't want to take a chance on because they can buy proven commodities with NIL money.
    Winning in two weeks would probably help, but losing a close game will not set us back 2 years much less 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    JMU would wipe the floor with Jax St. Apples and Oranges again Jacob. You always leave out the ever important context.
    I responded to someone saying you can’t lose to a transition school. JMU is transitioning. Jax state is transitioning. Jax state beat Florida state a few years ago when they were fcs.

At 13-1 or 10-1 you’re in contention for a NY6 and SBC Champions. Any bowl outside of that is a let down. This is much more than your usual “life in the belt” let down. This is “potentially damaging to the brand” let down.
    I’ll pushback a little on the notion that this game will sway our brand one way or the other too drastically win or lose.

When I think of a game that had the kind of tailspin impact you are talking about I think La Tech 2014. Think about that game. 3 straight NOLA bowl wins and 9-4 seasons. All record breaking crowds for the bowl. Tulane was down and we had already beaten them twice in HUD’s tenure. ULM was nothing. Tech had been down. We were finally perception wise the clear 2nd best team in the state of Louisiana. The expectation was we would send Skip and the Dogs back to Ruston with their tails between their legs. Most people my age had never seen a UL win over Tech. Hud knew how big that game was perception wise, and he invited all of Tech’s recruits to see the beatdown we would administer. 25,000+ showed up, and…we got absolutely crushed. 28 point loss. Complete embarrassment. All illusions were exposed. We went 9-4 that year, but HUD’s descent had begun. Our balloon was as full as it had ever been and it got absolutely burst that night.

When I look at this game, I don’t see any of that. There is no expectation of this team. Hell the few people still paying attention know good and well we may lose. We clearly aren’t the 2nd best team in LA. Our balloon is about as empty as it’s been since the Baldwin days in terms of excitement. Difference this time between 2014 is no one else popped our balloon. We’ve just been slowly letting the air out since the day Napier walked off of campus. I don’t see how much more air this game could possibly let out because, let’s be honest, there just isn’t much there to begin with. Our fanbase is already down to the bare bones, old school, diehards, who support no matter what. Apathy is on 100 as it is. How much lower can one game get us? The true last gasp will be when the old timers propping this bad boy up die off. The most that will come from this game, IMO, is the mockery on Twitter of losing to CUSA school.

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread Information