Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs Jacksonville State in 2023 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

1. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This 10000x

Perception wise, this is a must-win.
    We fought the perception battle for 15+ years. We've finally climbed out of the cellar and people wonder why it would be a setback to lose to a bottom dwelling conference member in a bowl game Does anyone pay attention?

Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    Are they? It seems like they have just turned to poking as many holes as possible in Cajun Athletics. Not saying you cannot call spades spades but .fans maybe, but supporters .? To be fair, I have not listened in a long time.
    They are big supporters and give a lot of money and time. I have seen these guys at plenty of UL events so yes they do support UL sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    They're 8-4 in the worst conference, by the numbers in 10 years. They are an FCS call up. Most people don't even know they moved up to FBS.

We are two years removed from the hottest coach in America, an SBC Championship, Top 20 ranking and longest win streak in college football.

Who in hell can't see that losing this game would be a HUGE setback?? It's comical.
    Just looked at their schedule. They clearly have a better resume than us and look to be an equally matched foe. Don't see how losing to them sets the program back 10 years.
    I would say this is a huge opportunity. We have a NOLA area QB who was played very well the last few games. Maybe he plays another solid game and gets the MVP. That would be a storybook ending.

Kudos to Ragin Review or whomever caught this on Ticketmaster last night!
    Also, what happened to “Any time, Any place”. Wasn’t that what Boise said in their rise to fame? We just have to lace ‘em up and kick some butt. Control the things that we can control.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Just looked at their schedule. They clearly have a better resume than us and look to be an equally matched foe. Don't see how losing to them sets the program back 10 years.
    I would say this is a huge opportunity. We have a NOLA area QB who was played very well the last few games. Maybe he plays another solid game and gets the MVP. That would be a storybook ending.

https://jaxstatesports.com/sports/football/stats/2023/

Linked above are Jacksonville State's stats for the season. They are more impressive than ours. Impressed with their rushing stats. Of course that is a weakness for the Cajuns. Forget perception. Data says they are a better team than the Cajuns. Of course that does not mean we can't win. At this level, anyone can beat anyone in any particular game.

6. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Yes. I fully get that people don’t see how it sets us back. And that is the part that blows my mind.

7. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post

Linked above are Jacksonville State's stats for the season. They are more impressive than ours. Impressed with their rushing stats. Of course that is a weakness for the Cajuns. Forget perception. Data says they are a better team than the Cajuns. Of course that does not mean we can't win. At this level, anyone can beat anyone in any particular game.
    That’s because we aren’t a good football team and played a weak WEAK schedule. They may very well be better than us.

None of this is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post

You would think people would have changed their perception on this “move up” nonsense after watching app state, Georgia southern, coastal Carolina, jmu liberty and jax state move up and immediately start whipping people’s asses. Maybe that talent disparity between fcs and fbs wasn’t what people thought and more about 22 less scholarships.

Gotcha. Apologies to those guys

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    You would think people would have changed their perception on this “move up” nonsense after watching app state, Georgia southern, coastal Carolina, jmu liberty and jax state move up and immediately start whipping people’s asses. Maybe that talent disparity between fcs and fbs wasn’t what people thought and more about 22 less scholarships.
    It’s been clear for a long time that there is zero talent disparity between lower G5 and upper FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    They're 8-4 in the worst conference, by the numbers in 10 years. They are an FCS call up. Most people don't even know they moved up to FBS.

We are two years removed from the hottest coach in America, an SBC Championship, Top 20 ranking and longest win streak in college football.

Who in hell can't see that losing this game would be a HUGE setback?? It's comical.
    I’m not saying losing to them wouldn’t be bad, but we won a ____ ton of games with Napier, and were rewarded with ho hum opponents in bowl games. And three years later we are here. Things can change in a hurry regardless of who we play or lose to in a bowl. I really don’t think anyone beyond a very small subset of college football fans give two ____s who we play in a bowl or if we win or lose. Far more damage can and has be done to the program by administration decisions, as has been proven so often.

TL;DR….win ok, lose bad, Martin hall decisions much much badder.

They are 8-4. They played in the weakest conference, but have a pretty good record. I am not excited about playing them, but I am not sure we would have had any better results if we had played their schedule.

Wins:

UTEP
    ETSU
    Eastern Mich
    SHSU
    Middle Tennessee
    WKU
    FIU
    La Tech

Losses
    Coastal Carolina
    Liberty
    South Carolina
    NMSU

They did play a weak schedule, but in my opinion, they at least met expectations of a transition team. They did not lose any games to teams they should have beat. No matter who we play, some of you will call it a disappointment, but these guys had to earn their bowl. They did. I hope our team is not disrespecting them like some of you.

Ragin Review.love you guys!

Oddity4th game vs team from Alabama. None at home

Not worried about Cajun Fields and our Offense vs Jax State. Our Defense vs Rich Rod quick/pressure offense? I can already see our DL standing, staring at sideline whilst JSU has snapped the ball.

14. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    I’m not saying losing to them wouldn’t be bad, but we won a ____ ton of games with Napier, and were rewarded with ho hum opponents in bowl games. And three years later we are here. Things can change in a hurry regardless of who we play or lose to in a bowl. I really don’t think anyone beyond a very small subset of college football fans give two ____s who we play in a bowl or if we win or lose. Far more damage can and has be done to the program by administration decisions, as has been proven so often.

TL;DR….win ok, lose bad, Martin hall decisions much much badder.
    I'm with yall on all of this. But we are having two different conversations here. It's not really about the bowl or the reward of the bowl or the matchup or the possibility of winning or any of that.

15. Default Re: Bowl Game Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Ragin Review.love you guys!

Oddity4th game vs team from Alabama. None at home

Not worried about Cajun Fields and our Offense vs Jax State. Our Defense vs Rich Rod quick/pressure offense? I can already see our DL standing, staring at sideline whilst JSU has snapped the ball.
    Do they run tempo and spread? If so, we'll need to score a minimum of 36 points offensively to win the game.

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information