Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: transfer portal

1. Default Re: transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    You've been part of a company ownership. So, I don't think I need to tell you about spending money without a tangible way of measuring how it will affect your bottom-line and brand. This is not how you sell an idea to someone that has to come up with a budget and marketing plan to fit your vision. So, yes you hire someone that actually has a reputation and a successful track record on how to put such a campaign together. You don't throw money at a concept without knowing what the expected returns would be if the money is spent. That's business 101 and college athletics is a business.

I've seen some Oregon videos financed with Nike money. We are not Oregon, and they are not in the SBC. WKU also hasn't been in the SBC in almost a decade? The WKU Mascot began in 1979, and again it is tied to many years of successful in MBB on ESPN.

Frankly, if someone wants to put together a marketing plan and not just drawings of an Albino Alligator, the associated cost and how it will pay for itself then I would congratulate them at least make a concretive effort in putting something together rather just complain about it and tell administrators what they need to do.
    Right on the heels of vintage clothing success which catered to a very small niche, it's easy to see how Louisiana and Alligator synecdoche would be a huge money maker whether fans of the school or not, living here or just passing through.

2. Default Re: transfer portal

You've been part of a company ownership. So, I don't think I need to tell you about spending money without a tangible way of measuring how it will affect your bottom-line and brand. This is not how you sell an idea to someone that has to come up with a budget and marketing plan to fit your vision. So, yes you hire someone that actually has a reputation and a successful track record on how to put such a campaign together. You don't throw money at a concept without knowing what the expected returns would be if the money is spent. That's business 101 and college athletics is a business.

I've seen some Oregon videos financed with Nike money. We are not Oregon, and they are not in the SBC. WKU also hasn't been in the SBC in almost a decade? The WKU Mascot began in 1979, and again it is tied to many years of successful in MBB on ESPN.

Frankly, if someone wants to put together a marketing plan and not just drawings of an Albino Alligator, the associated cost and how it will pay for itself then I would congratulate them at least make a concretive effort in putting something together rather just complain about it and tell administrators what they need to do.
    So again, like the University, we're asking people to work for free on an initiative that should be done by employees who are paid by the university to do so. Oh wait, we already tried to farm out this exact project to a professional who just so happens to be a graduate and they haven't even given the man the common courtesy of a polite response. That "drawing" of an Albino Alligator took a lot of time, money and creative process to get to where it is.

Speaking of business, what business would operate this way and stay in business? Rich Jones suggested mascots and marketing campaigns identical to the ones we've pushed since the Alden Group retained him. In fact, the bones of most of the initiatives we pound the table for come directly from him.

WKU is a great example. They've moved on, but they are still a peer. I can make the argument that we're actually a step ahead of them with regard to athletic prowess in 2023 and they still have a solid brand and are recognizable across the country precisely because of their mascot.

Default Re: transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Right on the heels of vintage clothing success which catered to a very small niche, it's easy to see how Louisiana and Alligator synecdoche would be a huge money maker whether fans of the school or not, living here or just passing through.
    It's what you see, that's not how you sell it brother. With the person in charge of our attire branding license it's obvious they don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    So again, like the University, we're asking people to work for free on an initiative that should be done by employees who are paid by the university to do so. Oh wait, we already tried to farm out this exact project to a professional who just so happens to be a graduate and they haven't even given the man the common courtesy of a polite response. That "drawing" of an Albino Alligator took a lot of time, money and creative process to get to where it is.

Speaking of business, what business would operate this way and stay in business? Rich Jones suggested mascots and marketing campaigns identical to the ones we've pushed since the Alden Group retained him. In fact, the bones of most of the initiatives we pound the table for come directly from him.

WKU is a great example. They've moved on, but they are still a peer. I can make the argument that we're actually a step ahead of them with regard to athletic prowess in 2023 and they still have a solid brand and are recognizable across the country precisely because of their mascot.
    I don't know what the university is doing, but if you are going to tell them what they should be doing, at least have your ducks in a row. That way you don't come off as another person just flapping their gums and finding ways to spend money that they will tell you isn't available. I can tell you, been there and done that.

5. Default Re: transfer portal

It's what you see, that's not how you sell it brother. With the person in charge of our attire branding license it's obvious they don't believe it.
    I wouldn't bash them that bad, they're just stuck in an unimaginative rut.

Why is all this in a transfer portal thread?

7. Default Re: transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Why is all this in a transfer portal thread?
    Marketing glue, plus the apparel industry is the fastest way to raise NIL money.

Find something that non traditional fans will gladly buy.

For the 50th time:
    See my avatar!!
    I LOVE Mr Cajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    For the 50th time:
    See my avatar!!
    I LOVE Mr Cajun!!
    Even better.see mine

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Even better.see mine
    Back to Portal conversation. It seems Billy getting a little taste of his own medicine.

https://twitter.com/UtahPigBus/statu.75098295779719

Etienne gonna be a millionaire in 3-4 weeks.

FWIW.LTURd already has 4 starters in portal. QB1, plus both OT and K.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Etienne gonna be a millionaire in 3-4 weeks.

FWIW.LTURd already has 4 starters in portal. QB1, plus both OT and K.
    Don't celebrate too much. That same movie is headed to a theater near you very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Don't celebrate too much. That same movie is headed to a theater near you very soon.
    Sure, an annual event. But even Billy Napier faces the fact that some programs have more money than their NIL deal.

A breakdown of the mascots in our league:

1. Georgia State - Pounce - Introduced in 1993; updated in 2009
    2. Georgia Southern - Gus - Can't find an exact year but decades old; last updated in 2016; also have a live mascot
    3. App State - Yosef - Since the late 40s; modernized in the early 80s and again in 2014
    4. JMU - Duke Dog - Student mascot 72/73; current iteration introduced in 82-83
    5. ODU - Big Blue - Early 70s; Current version released in the 80s
    6. Marshall - Marco the Bison - 1965 (latest update 2013)
    7. Coastal - Chauncey - Concept first introduced in 1963; live mascot Maddox introduced in 2011
    8. Troy - T-Roy - early 80s
    9. Texas State - Boko the Bobcat - Concept introduced in the 60s; most recent update in 2003
    10. Arkansas State - Howl & Scarlet - Not sure on year for costumes but switched from Indians in 2008
    11. South Alabama - South Paw and Miss Pawla - South Paw 72 (update 86) Miss Pawla 92
    12. Southern Miss - Seymour - the 70s (name introduced in the 80s)
    13. ULM - Ace the Warhawk - 2006 after change from Indians
    14. Louisiana - NONE - N/A

13 of the 14 schools in our league have decided and continue to decide that a mascot is worth their time and resources. No amount of asking people to produce a document that likely doesn't exist changes this. It also doesn't devalue the opinion of people calling for a mascot.

Sure, an annual event. But even Billy Napier faces the fact that some programs have more money than their NIL deal.
    Montrel has a better chance at the next level than Etienne. More durable.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information