Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread: transfer portal

Default Re: transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Michigan doesn’t have a mascot…
    Outside of the Cajun Chicken, which was a thing in the late 80's and 90's, I never cared about a mascot. We have a unique name, and it is the only one. No animal or rip off mascot by another color will satisfy people. It's become another reason for people that find every reason under the sun not to support Cajun athletics. I won't lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Outside of the Cajun Chicken, which was a thing in the late 80's and 90's, I never cared about a mascot. We have a unique name, and it is the only one. No animal or rip off mascot by another color will satisfy people. It's become another reason for people that find every reason under the sun not to support Cajun athletics. I won't lose sleep over it.
    I agree 100%. We got the best name in all of college sports with Ragin Cajuns. Every time they try to mix in a cajun man, bulldog or pepper it just confuses people. Leave it alone.

3. Default Re: transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I agree 100%. We got the best name in all of college sports with Ragin Cajuns. Every time they try to mix in a cajun man, bulldog or pepper it just confuses people. Leave it alone.
    A mascot isn’t for us. It’s for marketing, content and additional attention online. It’s for endearing your brand to children and non-sports fans.

And many many more reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A mascot isn’t for us. It’s for marketing, content and additional attention online. It’s for endearing your brand to children and non-sports fans.

Cajun football will soon be the proverbial Tree falls in the woods.

Show me the demographics and results of a professionally done survey from another university in our conference that justifies any money spent on such an endeavor. Opinions and ideas are great, but that doesn't mean they are worthy of spending one single dollar on them.

Just to qualify me comment, App. State has had the same mascot for decades, so it is associated with winning championships and conference titles. Show me a successful mascot and branding campaign in the last decade in the SBC and I'm willing to listen.

6. Default Re: transfer portal

Show me the demographics and results of a professionally done survey from another university in our conference that justifies any money spent on such an endeavor. Opinions and ideas are great, but that doesn't mean they are worthy of spending one single dollar on them.

Just to qualify me comment, App. State has had the same mascot for decades, so it is associated with winning championships and conference titles. Show me a successful mascot and branding campaign in the last decade in the SBC and I'm willing to listen.
    Nobody has what Louisiana has.

It doesn't cost a dime to claim the existing campus habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Nobody has what Louisiana has.

It doesn't cost a dime to claim the existing campus habitat.
    Turbine, that's projection and opinion. First, what exactly would you market of the "Campus Habitat" that isn't already on the University website and how would you measure success and failure?

8. Default Re: transfer portal

Should we base every decision we make on a professionally done survey? We spent hundreds of thousands for an audit and did 30% of what it recommended. The fact is, getting kids under the age of 5 interested in your program (or brand) has a direct correlation to them staying invested in your program (or brand) for many years to come. I just watched multiple videos go viral on social media purely based on a Duck in Oregon making a grand entrance. Porgram all over the country copied it and got millions of free publicity because of it.

As far as your SBC campaign comment: WKU is one of the most famous and recognizable mascots in collegiate athletics. It is a giant red blob. WKU is certainly not an overly successful G5 program but most college fans know the mascot. All because of a bit on College GameDay that didn't even feature WKU playing in the game.

How come we compare ourselves to peers when it supports our slant on a pushback but claim how unique we are when it supports that slant? Our mascot should be a movable goalpost.

9. Default Re: transfer portal

Turbine, that's projection and opinion. First, what exactly would you market of the "Campus Habitat" that isn't already on the University website and how would you measure success and failure?
    This is the promo, nice but missed the mark.

The Swamp and Alligators would capture imaginations like nothing else.

I've brought all manner of tourist to the campus Swamp, show them the alligators (not always visible) and they are blown away WOW!

I am sure young recruits would have the same reaction and if it was part of your identity they are fans for life.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This is the promo, nice but missed the mark.

The Swamp and Alligators would capture imaginations like nothing else.

I've brought all manner of tourist to the campus Swamp, show them the alligators (not always visible) and they are blown away WOW!

I am sure young recruits would have the same reaction and if it was part of your identity they are fans for life.
    This! I remember walking by when I was in school and thinking how cool it was having a swamp with live alligators in the middle of campus. And I'm originally from Franklin. I had seen swamps and alligators before. It would have to have some kind of impact on students who were new to that.

Maybe Ronnie Adams should be the mascot! Former Ragin' Cajuns football player finding "fame" on Swamp People. Just kidding, although Ronnie was a cool guy back in the day.

Should we base every decision we make on a professionally done survey? We spent hundreds of thousands for an audit and did 30% of what it recommended. The fact is, getting kids under the age of 5 interested in your program (or brand) has a direct correlation to them staying invested in your program (or brand) for many years to come. I just watched multiple videos go viral on social media purely based on a Duck in Oregon making a grand entrance. Porgram all over the country copied it and got millions of free publicity because of it.

As far as your SBC campaign comment: WKU is one of the most famous and recognizable mascots in collegiate athletics. It is a giant red blob. WKU is certainly not an overly successful G5 program but most college fans know the mascot. All because of a bit on College GameDay that didn't even feature WKU playing in the game.

How come we compare ourselves to peers when it supports our slant on a pushback but claim how unique we are when it supports that slant? Our mascot should be a movable goalpost.
    MAT these are valid points.

13. Default Re: transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    MAT these are valid points.
    I know they are. But valid points don't matter around here. Some people just don't want. They don't want to hear logic, or solutions, or change. as long as it involves money, work or any additional effort. And I'm not singling out BJ here. We are run by a gaggle of people that see every single decision we make through this lens. There is a reason why we do less with more than any program in this country.

Our mascot should be a movable goalpost.
    I saw/carried that mascot first hand the night of Sept 14, 1996

You've been part of a company ownership. So, I don't think I need to tell you about spending money without a tangible way of measuring how it will affect your bottom-line and brand. This is not how you sell an idea to someone that has to come up with a budget and marketing plan to fit your vision. So, yes you hire someone that actually has a reputation and a successful track record on how to put such a campaign together. You don't throw money at a concept without knowing what the expected returns would be if the money is spent. That's business 101 and college athletics is a business.

I've seen some Oregon videos financed with Nike money. We are not Oregon, and they are not in the SBC. WKU also hasn't been in the SBC in almost a decade? The WKU Mascot began in 1979, and again it is tied to many years of successful in MBB on ESPN.

Frankly, if someone wants to put together a marketing plan and not just drawings of an Albino Alligator, the associated cost and how it will pay for itself then I would congratulate them for at least making a concerted effort in putting something together rather just complain about it and tell administrators what they need to do.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread Information