Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    It would be an interesting case study to see of current RCAF members the breakdown of their student status:
    - Letterman
    - Nerds
    - Greeks
    - Other
    - multiple groups
    Also by percentage of money donated.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    No doubt Greek Life is under assault at universities across the country. Wikipedia has a section called criticism. More rapes,for the men, more women being raped as sororities. More alcoholism for both, exclusionary,racist along with misogynistic behavior hitting the high spots.
    Could it be revived with a different naming convention? Although then the downside is much history lost

3. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Racist? There are more historically white fraternities that have more minority members than ever before. You may be referring to the historically black fraternities they haven’t let white folk in yet.
    I’m not saying any of it is valid, I’m saying they’re in the WOKE crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Racist? There are more historically white fraternities that have more minority members than ever before. You may be referring to the historically black fraternities they haven’t let white folk in yet.
    I seem to recall a back up QB that was white and a member of "a black" frat in early to mid 90s. If not a member he "borrowed" the clothes of his roommate(s) that were members then

Could it be revived with a different naming convention? Although then the downside is much history lost
    It's not so much an attack on Greek Life as it is an attack on the stereotypical college experience

Partying, being crazy at sports events, getting into bars before you're 21.

As others have said, the admin would be much happier with a campus full of docile zombies eating gummies all day and asleep by 9pm

It would be an interesting case study to see of current RCAF members the breakdown of their student status:
    - Letterman
    - Needs
    - Greeks
    - Other
    - multiple groups
    Also by percentage of money donated.
    Average age of donors would be interesting and tell quite a story, if there is a sizable gap in the quantity / numbers by age decade (30’s vs 40’s vs 50’s, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Average age of donors would be interesting and tell quite a story, if there is a sizable gap in the quantity / numbers by age decade (30’s vs 40’s vs 50’s, etc)
    I’d like to see that breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    It's not so much an attack on Greek Life as it is an attack on the stereotypical college experience

Partying, being crazy at sports events, getting into bars before you're 21.

As others have said, the admin would be much happier with a campus full of docile zombies eating gummies all day and asleep by 9pm
    Great point if not genX themselves with their screen time and door dash, then covid probably had a big enough sway in taking aim at that, probably didn't need martin hall

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I’d like to see that breakdown.
    Would easily paint a picture of what generation began the decline in fandom and what our program looked like at that time.

If there are more 50-70 year olds than 20-40, that would explain kids in the 90’s, early 2000’s didn’t catch the UL bug.

Would easily paint a picture of what generation began the decline in fandom and what our program looked like at that time.

If there are more 50-70 year olds than 20-40, that would explain kids in the 90’s, early 2000’s didn’t catch the UL bug.
    Yup

I've said it a million times.

The voluntary abandonment of the football program from '97 to '03 destroyed the fan base.

The only thing that would have made that deal worth it would be a Medical or Law school.

The fact that we are nowhere near that proves we destroyed the program for nothing.

Yep, the program lost an entire generation. I've seen some of those numbers, and none of it is surprising.

Things around the program were hopping up until around 2015. In the 2013-14 academic year, if I'm looking at the seasons correctly, we were going to our 3rd of 4 straight Nola Bowls, went dancing, baseball had its historic season and softball went to the WCWS. A cajuns ticket was the hottest thing in town. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but RCAF's first executive director was hired in 2015 according to the site. Going straight off of memory here, that's when they started trying to monetize everything and the downturn started. I'm 38 and A LOT of people that I grew up with were at lots of games for lots of different sports up until then.

For me personally, my first of 4 was born in 2014 and kids are expensive. Choices were made and that's why I watch a lot of games on ESPN+ now. Timing, overpriced product and convenience were big factors for me and I'd assume the same applies to a lot of people my age.

14. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Things around the program were hopping up until around 2015. In the 2013-14 academic year, if I'm looking at the seasons correctly, we were going to our 3rd of 4 straight Nola Bowls, went dancing, baseball had its historic season and softball went to the WCWS. A cajuns ticket was the hottest thing in town. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but RCAF's first executive director was hired in 2015 according to the site. Going straight off of memory here, that's when they started trying to monetize everything and the downturn started. I'm 38 and A LOT of people that I grew up with were at lots of games for lots of different sports up until then.

For me personally, my first of 4 was born in 2014 and kids are expensive. Choices were made and that's why I watch a lot of games on ESPN+ now. Timing, overpriced product and convenience were big factors for me and I'd assume the same applies to a lot of people my age.
    But I bet if the Napier-type success continued into the Des era, you'd find a way to pinch pennies, tweak scheudles and be more involved. That's what success does.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    But I bet if the Napier-type success continued into the Des era, you'd find a way to pinch pennies, tweak scheudles and be more involved. That's what success does.
    If I'm being completely honest, feeling like the money I was sinking into the program was being ____ed away turned me off. The success only made it more frustrating that it doesn't seem like the admin gives a ____ and where we could be if they were good stewards of our money.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information