Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

1. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Nailed it. That is just an built in excuse. The administration needs to do a total reset and figure out how to market the Cajuns to Acadiana and the surrounding areas. 2024 @ OLOL will definitely be a cluster ____.
    Love the “holiday” excuse from so many. Lots of schools had amazing crowds and student crowds today.

Less than 100 students…at a commuter school. Sheesh!

2. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    The Greek saga of this year didn’t cause that abysmal showing. Thanksgiving and ULM did that. If the Greeks could have partied, that woulda been 100-200 extra students today? And they would have left by halftime.

Cajun4life is right that we need to support and grow the Greek orgs moving forward. But that should be only one of a multi-part plan to increase student engagement at Our Lady.

The problem is the majority of students coming to UL grow up in SEC country around family and friends that only care about LSU. So how do you increase the amount of kids you can convert into UL football fans? That will take some coordination between MH and Reinhardt that seems to be lacking.

One non-UL led initiative is unfolding at the elementary school that my wife teaches at. Principal is a diehard UL fan and the school is UL-first.
    As much as I hate to admit it Greeks are being demonized pretty much everywhere.

Here’s Wikipedia take on Greeks and it isn’t pretty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frat.and_sororities

Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    Love the “holiday” excuse from so many. Lots of schools had amazing crowds and student crowds today.

Less than 100 students…at a commuter school. Sheesh!
    Why would you love it? Everyone being negative about the day today watched at home. At some point some of you need to be part of the solution.

The students that chose not to come and support this team and these seniors are the ones who lost. I don’t care if Monroe sucked or not, this was the most complete game this year. They missed a fun night and chance to give ULM players a ton of grief.

5. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Why would you love it? Everyone being negative about the day today watched at home. At some point some of you need to be part of the solution.
    Poor word choice on my part. Meant it’s a terrible excuse and I’m laughing at how dumb it is. Shorthand version

6. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Actually this was a good crowd for the season ending game by most seasons. I can’t tell y’all how pathetic Brian Mitchell’s last game was attended, and Jake’s, and LL1

I live on university Ave right across from the presidents home. I knew there would be no students at the game Wednesday. The campus was deserted. The only people on campus were the campus police. The parking lots at the off campus apartments were half full. There was NOBODY in the neighborhoods around campus except us old farts that live here. There wasn't the weekend pilgrimage to Domino's or Papa John's. Even KOK was slow. There were no students in town this weekend. So there would have been no students at the game regardless of whether there was a student boycott or not.

The only other games I saw were Florida Vs Florida state and now Cal vs UCLA. Both looked well attended. I would imagine most the other big school games had good attendance.

I suspect we have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that mediocre attendance is our fate.

Today was my last game. I am not alone after talking to many people around me at the game tonight. They are done too. I guess the university is counting on a lot of rich people to buy tickets. I can't figure it out All I know is my fall garden will be getting more attention from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Less than 100 students at the game.
    There was more than 100 just in the band. I'm sure there was at least 1000 students in the stands. I stayed only for the first half, and no, I didn't count them, but I'm sure there was way over 100. Also, take into account that the students were on holiday this week.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Maybe a few less than normal, but I feel like this is pretty typical for a Thanksgiving week student crowd. Guaranteed no message sent.
    100% correct

10. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I live on university Ave right across from the presidents home. I knew there would be no students at the game Wednesday. The campus was deserted. The only people on campus were the campus police. The parking lots at the off campus apartments were half full. There was NOBODY in the neighborhoods around campus except us old farts that live here. There wasn't the weekend pilgrimage to Domino's or Papa John's. Even KOK was slow. There were no students in town this weekend. So there would have been no students at the game regardless of whether there was a student boycott or not.

The only other games I saw were Florida Vs Florida state and now Cal vs UCLA. Both looked well attended. I would imagine most the other big school games had good attendance.

I suspect we have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that mediocre attendance is our fate.

Today was my last game. I am not alone after talking to many people around me at the game tonight. They are done too. I guess the university is counting on a lot of rich people to buy tickets. I can't figure it out All I know is my fall garden will be getting more attention from now on.
    Now let’s get something straight. We’re not getting students to the game because they left campus for the holidays. But then again other weeks low attendance because we don’t have enough students in the dorms and we’re a commuter school.

I agree MH can do a much better job encouraging student participation at football games.

I’m encouraged and planning to improve my seating with so many giving up their premium seats.

The issue of people not going to the games goes a long way past Martin Hall verses the students and the greeks.

My question is what is the attendance (actual butts in seats) for the average home football game the past two seasons? Why are we spending $65 million on a stadium for a sport that has historically not attracted a crowd?

They are spending about $2100 per seat in the renovated stadium. How many of those seats will be different than they are right now? The athletic department is very proud of qualifying for a bowl game for the 6th year in a row. The 6 teams we beat had a combined record of 22 wins and 44 losses. Yes we won, but we won against subpar competition. A newly renovated stadium is not going to fix playing against subpar competition. The basketball team has a beautifully renovated Cajundome and the home schedule is terrible.

I think that greeks, regular students, community members OF ALL AGES, need to have a reason to go to the games. The atmosphere at the UL games has been underwhelming since the year the team came off probation (1975???).

But the problem is not just football. How many Butts in Seats are there at most basketball games? It seems to me that the only sports that have a true following are Baseball and Softball. The community goes out to see a great product at both Russo and Lamson. The softball team last season ranked #6 in the nation in attendance. Baseball ranked #15 in the nation, and they had a down year in attendance (about 500 lower than the average the few years prior to last year). I guarantee that neither the Greeks, nor Martin Hall, has anything to do with the attendance at those games. In fact a few years ago they lowered concession prices to attract more people, but they have raised them back above where they were before COVID.

I care about the students not feeling "part of the game" or "not being wanted at the games", but there are lots of other problems at UL to be solved that can fix attendance. First and foremost is putting a quality product on the field (or court) that people want to go and see.

The crowds were bigger when we had Napier. A better head coach and staff might be the first place to look. As for basketball, look at the home non-conference schedule and then ask yourself why people did not give an RCAF donation to be able to buy season tickets to watch the cajuns play sub-par competition in the Cajundome.

That's enough for me. I have decided to not buy season tickets for football or basketball next year. We might be at women's basketball and volleyball. At least the coaches at those venues want to to better than they have in the past.

The fan base didn’t support at our programs peak. Now we will blame the product on the field for the fans not showing up?

One of the reasons we couldn’t keep billy was because he went 34-5 in 3 years and never played in front of 30k at home in a regular season game. Any smart person in college athletics knows you can’t sustain success without fan support/money. If we had 30k in the stands and an NIL pool maybe we’d retain some top talent and not be struggling on the field now.

Fact is we won and Acadiana didn’t care.

So does the Acadiana area really deserve a winner….

Quote Originally Posted by old alum View Post
    The issue of people not going to the games goes a long way past Martin Hall verses the students and the greeks.

My question is what is the attendance (actual butts in seats) for the average home football game the past two seasons? Why are we spending $65 million on a stadium for a sport that has historically not attracted a crowd?

They are spending about $2100 per seat in the renovated stadium. How many of those seats will be different than they are right now? The athletic department is very proud of qualifying for a bowl game for the 6th year in a row. The 6 teams we beat had a combined record of 22 wins and 44 losses. Yes we won, but we won against subpar competition. A newly renovated stadium is not going to fix playing against subpar competition. The basketball team has a beautifully renovated Cajundome and the home schedule is terrible.

I think that greeks, regular students, community members OF ALL AGES, need to have a reason to go to the games. The atmosphere at the UL games has been underwhelming since the year the team came off probation (1975???).

But the problem is not just football. How many Butts in Seats are there at most basketball games? It seems to me that the only sports that have a true following are Baseball and Softball. The community goes out to see a great product at both Russo and Lamson. The softball team last season ranked #6 in the nation in attendance. Baseball ranked #15 in the nation, and they had a down year in attendance (about 500 lower than the average the few years prior to last year). I guarantee that neither the Greeks, nor Martin Hall, has anything to do with the attendance at those games. In fact a few years ago they lowered concession prices to attract more people, but they have raised them back above where they were before COVID.

I care about the students not feeling "part of the game" or "not being wanted at the games", but there are lots of other problems at UL to be solved that can fix attendance. First and foremost is putting a quality product on the field (or court) that people want to go and see.

The crowds were bigger when we had Napier. A better head coach and staff might be the first place to look. As for basketball, look at the home non-conference schedule and then ask yourself why people did not give an RCAF donation to be able to buy season tickets to watch the cajuns play sub-par competition in the Cajundome.

That's enough for me. I have decided to not buy season tickets for football or basketball next year. We might be at women's basketball and volleyball. At least the coaches at those venues want to to better than they have in the past.
    Well ole alum. Enjoy the free entry sports while not giving a dime in return. You’ll now be part of the problem.

14. Default Re: I Guess The Students Won the Fight

Quote Originally Posted by old alum View Post

Believe the sports you want to support are free.

It’s hard to believe, but the great attendance of the Lamar, Winkler, and Ivory era sucked in November and December. The team actually played very good competition, but not in Lafayette. They were winning many times against great road competition. Why’d they have better attendance when Lafayette parish was a third the size it is now. Frankly I believe the LSU fans moved in and took over lots of the ambiance.

I have paid for my season tickets to football games for 40+ years. That means a RCAF fee on top for the past several years, and let's not forget the excellence fund on top of the season tickets. I did that for four sports and now Jacob81 says I'm part of the problem. I have given USL/UL enough money that could have bought me a nice car.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information