Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot defend the trajectory of the program

Default Re: Cannot defend this

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Des can’t be the coach going into the new stadium. If he is, the stadium will just be lip stick on a pig.
    Another mascot thread? Uggh

Problem is that you become even more cash strapped with him at HC.

From a personal stand point…I already don’t care about making it out to games and the longer it goes, the easier it gets to miss.
    +1000

Des can’t be the coach going into the new stadium. If he is, the stadium will just be lip stick on a pig.
    FACT!!!

I personally think that maybe the administration hired Des in the hopes that he can continue success, but I am thinking if he doesn’t get it done by next season that we will have a new coach going into a rebuilt Cajun Field, and basically start from scratch with all the hype with a new stadium and a new coach.

I really hope Des is successful but that is what I think when they hired him. Either way they look at it like a win either way.

5. Default Re: Cannot defend this

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I personally think that maybe the administration hired Des in the hopes that he can continue success, but I am thinking if he doesn’t get it done by next season that we will have a new coach going into a rebuilt Cajun Field, and basically start from scratch with all the hype with a new stadium and a new coach.

I really hope Des is successful but that is what I think when they hired him. Either way they look at it like a win either way.
    I want nothing more than Mike to be successful. It would be a storybook ride. However, I think even he would agree that we are not yielding the same results we were when we was named head coach.

This^^^. Fans are not going to pay to bake on the east side at 6PM in September with the current leadership’s results.

7. Default Re: Cannot defend this

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    This^^^. Fans are not going to pay to bake on the east side at 6PM in September with the current leadership’s results.
    Better have 6:30 kickoff for sure. I recall the sun being below the west side of the upper deck at 6:00, but the upper deck will be down unless they have some sort of temporary shade.

What a better way to hire a new coach with a new stadium? If Des doesn’t get it done next year we have to make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Better have 6:30 kickoff for sure. I recall the sun being below the west side of the upper deck at 6:00, but the upper deck will be down unless they have some sort of temporary shade.
    One thing I didn’t notice getting asked/covered …. West side lights??? They must be intending on putting temporary lighting?

I had high hopes for Des after they hired him, but I had serious doubts. One thing that I never bought into was the idea that Des could continue to do the same thing as Billy. To refresh our memory, that was given as one reason he was hired. No coach can (or should) try to be the same coach as the old coach. I think this was a false notion from the start. This put pressure on him from the start, especially given the mass defections after Billy left. Coaches with experience want to combine best practices from coaches they have worked for and create their own way. Unfortunately, Des had no other experience on the college level other than UL to draw from. Look at the various coaching systems that Billy was exposed to before coming to UL. I personally believe that Des was not set up to win. This was a disservice to both the program and to him. I have seen some people at work promoted before they were ready, and it was almost never good. In that situation, you hope they grow into the position. IMO, in this case, going from a tight ends coach to head coach is too big of a leap. He still may be able to turn things around next season, but he will have to make some hard decisions that seem out of character for him. Here are the things I believe he should consider:

1. Embrace the portal, at least to replace players we lose to the portal. Like Des, I hate the portal but this is the FBS world we live in today.

2. He needs to analyze the defense, which seemed to regress as the season progressed. Can Lamar adjust his staff or is Coach Morgan the problem? In football (as well as most occupations) you are either getting better or you are getting worse. We got worse this year on defense.

3. I think Des should stop calling plays and concentrate on coaching the entire team during the game. Can Leger call the plays? If not, then we need an Offensive Coordinator who can. I honestly do not know if Leger can or not because he has not been given the chance. Good leaders trust their people to make decisions and then holds them responsible for the results.

I hope Des can adjust and move forward, and maybe my observations are off track, but it is clear that the program needs to make some changes to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I had high hopes for Des after they hired him, but I had serious doubts. One thing that I never bought into was the idea that Des could continue to do the same thing as Billy. To refresh our memory, that was given as one reason he was hired. No coach can (or should) try to be the same coach as the old coach. I think this was a false notion from the start. This put pressure on him from the start, especially given the mass defections after Billy left. Coaches with experience want to combine best practices from coaches they have worked for and create their own way. Unfortunately, Des had no other experience on the college level other than UL to draw from. Look at the various coaching systems that Billy was exposed to before coming to UL. I personally believe that Des was not set up to win. This was a disservice to both the program and to him. I have seen some people at work promoted before they were ready, and it was almost never good. In that situation, you hope they grow into the position. IMO, in this case, going from a tight ends coach to head coach is too big of a leap. He still may be able to turn things around next season, but he will have to make some hard decisions that seem out of character for him. Here are the things I believe he should consider:

1. Embrace the portal, at least to replace players we lose to the portal. Like Des, I hate the portal but this is the FBS world we live in today.

2. He needs to analyze the defense, which seemed to regress as the season progressed. Can Lamar adjust his staff or is Coach Morgan the problem? In football (as well as most occupations) you are either getting better or you are getting worse. We got worse this year on defense.

3. I think Des should stop calling plays and concentrate on coaching the entire team during the game. Can Leger call the plays? If not, then we need an Offensive Coordinator who can. I honestly do not know if Leger can or not because he has not been given the chance. Good leaders trust their people to make decisions and then holds them responsible for the results.

I hope Des can adjust and move forward, and maybe my observations are off track, but it is clear that the program needs to make some changes to move forward.
    Great post.

12. Default Re: Cannot defend this

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post

I had similar high hopes for Mike but did not expect him to be Billy. However, I also did not expect to win less than seven games per year either. He took over at a time when all programs were having to deal with defections so it was not unique to us. Whether it is his portal strategy, recruiting strategy, staff, game management, or all of the above; the reality is we are not experiencing anything close to the results we got under Billy or even Hud when he took over for Rickey. Mike was given a fully functioning locomotive. It required maintenance and care but it was not something he had to build from the ground up. If the standard by which we are all held to is “leave something better than you found it,” he has not done that and I think anyone objective would have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    What a better way to hire a new coach with a new stadium? If Des doesn’t get it done next year we have to make a move.
    This is correct. Next season Des needs to coach like his job is on the line

Coach ____ed off. Play ____ed off etc. Things seem too comfortable and ho hum

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Perhaps Cajun Field should observe Central Standard Time next September instead of waiting until November. A long beak Ragin Cajun cap might come in handy for those early kick times, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    Outside of a scandal, I don’t think they fire him before then. The university is strapped for cash so they may not be able to buy him out right now anyway.
    How many years is Dez's contract, 3, 4 or 5?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information