Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

So if the most dominant coach in the league for any particular year was not a good coach, does that mean there are ZERO good coaches in the Sun Belt? That seems like a very balanced and reasonable stance.

2. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    What is the metric by which we can say without question that Napier is a very good coach? Just one example.
    As succinctly as I can, 4 solid years of results. Anyone that can come to Lafayette, LA, get it ranked, in contention of a NY6 bowl and leave it as a desirable job (rather than the coaching graveyard that it previously was) is an outstanding head football coach.

3. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

. . . so HUD would have been an outstanding head coach had he left after year 4 but he stayed and turned into a dud, which may have happened to a Napier had he stayed through the commencement of NIL and free transfer . . . maybe the difference between Stud and Dud is really only timing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    As succinctly as I can, 4 solid years of results. Anyone that can come to Lafayette, LA, get it ranked, in contention of a NY6 bowl and leave it as a desirable job (rather than the coaching graveyard that it previously was) is an outstanding head football coach.
    At least you can admit that the program was (and maybe still is) a dumpster fire.

5. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

. . . now do baseball . . .

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    So if the most dominant coach in the league for any particular year was not a good coach, does that mean there are ZERO good coaches in the Sun Belt? That seems like a very balanced and reasonable stance.
    All I said is that I'm not yet convinced that Napier is a good coach. He certainly might be. He was extremely successful at UL, otherwise Florida wouldn't have taken a chance on him.

My point is that, as it currently stands, his only claim to fame was the ability to perform well in the Sun Belt Conference. He's had effectively no success in the more challenging SEC. So if you define "good coach" as someone who can perform well in the Sun Belt, then yea, he's a great coach. However, if you define a "good coach" as someone who can perform well on a national stage, then he hasn't proven himself. Maybe he will prove himself in the future, but he hasn't done so yet. It's really simple.

7. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

All I said is that I'm not yet convinced that Napier is a good coach. He certainly might be. He was extremely successful at UL, otherwise Florida wouldn't have taken a chance on him.

My point is that, as it currently stands, his only claim to fame was the ability to perform well in the Sun Belt Conference. He's had effectively no success in the more challenging SEC. So if you define "good coach" as someone who can perform well in the Sun Belt, then yea, he's a great coach. However, if you define a "good coach" as someone who can perform well on a national stage, then he hasn't proven himself. Maybe he will prove himself in the future, but he hasn't done so yet. It's really simple.
    . . . 32 might need it more simple than that . . .

8. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

Bill Belichick isn't a very good coach if you just look at the last two years.

9. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Bill Belichick isn't a very good coach if you just look at the last two years.
    . . . ouch, shame on you . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . 32 might need it more simple than that . . .
    The nickname!!!

Why worry about Billy’s success at Florida? UL fans should be concerned with UL and only UL at any and all times. Any mention of other programs is weird and obsessive. In the UL bubble you suggest, Billy is the greatest coach of all time.

12. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Why worry about Billy’s success at Florida? UL fans should be concerned with UL and only UL at any and all times. Any mention of other programs is weird and obsessive. In the UL bubble you suggest, Billy is the greatest coach of all time.
    . . . 32 adopting Vic logic . . .

13. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

At least you can admit that the program was (and maybe still is) a dumpster fire.
    Unlike you, who refuses to admit he's a TSAB troll.

I admitted a fact: Historically, coaches didn't progress beyond this job. At the same time, coaches hired here had absolutely nothing to recruit to. Facilities, amenities, stronger conference and recent success have turned this job into a desirable G5 post.

14. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

A moron might think that, yes.
    . . . your charm is so adorable . . . in fact it is 100% rock solid correct when it flares up . . .

15. Default Re: 11.10.23 Fallout - gloves off

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . your charm is so adorable . . . in fact it is 100% rock solid correct when it flares up . . .
    It's just the best when you tell on yourself. So fun.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information