Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Chasm

UL Football The Great Chasm

A lot of the conversations in here revolve around the Cajuns receiving a certain degree of respect. That is, no one wants UL to be as mediocre and forgettable as other schools like ULM or McNeese. We propose ideas like rebranding, marketing, making it to a bowl game, and labeling the school Louisiana instead of UL or Lafayette.

Last night UL lost to Southern Miss, effectively eliminating any chances of a conference championship. No doubt, everyone is upset, and the comments now revolve around what UL should’ve done to win the game. Here’s the problem: if UL wants to get more respect, it’s not a matter of beating USM; it’s a matter of absolutely demolishing USM… and everyone else. You always compare UL to LSU, and that’s kind of an apples to oranges comparison because UL will never be on LSU’s level, but it does reveal a truth about where UL currently stands versus where they want to be.

There is an enormous gap, a chasm, between reality and what RP thinks is possible. UL is sooooooo far away from the reputation that it seeks, and the solution isn’t just to add onto the stadium, to get a mascot, to marginally increase NIL, or to barely win the SBC. This isn’t a “baby steps” proposition. The gap is too wide for that.

Yes, it starts on the field, so the critiques of the coaching staff are warranted. It starts with beating an out of conference opponent. It continues with winning the SBC with ease, with being undefeated and ranked in the top 20 or top 15. And once that happens, it needs to happen again, and again. Only then will people look at UL like they looked at Boise State a while back. “Who are these guys, and why are they so good?”

Does all of this seem impossible? Maybe so. And if it does, then perhaps we should all temper our expectations and be more realistic about this program’s future.

2. Default Re: The Great Chasm

Well said on "This isn’t a “baby steps” proposition. "

Still, taking the small steps is a prerequisite for getting where you want to be.

Before the small steps though, you need to establish where you want to be, or you will find, yourself walking around in circles.

Default Re: The Great Chasm

The big steps are the sound of more and more fans walking away from UL athletics when a fecal festival like last night occurs.

Bustle ball, or less, isn’t going to cut it.

And if MH could pull a stunt directed at a message board like this, they would.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-980799.html

Can’t stand those guys, but what a way to run off fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Still, taking the small steps is a prerequisite for getting where you want to be.
    Like what?

5. Default Re: The Great Chasm

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Like what?
    My statement applies to every endeavor.

My statement applies to every endeavor.
    Those baby steps haven't worked out too well until now. It would take a radical (or delusional) optimist to think that more of the same strategy will work moving forward.

That’s a whole lot of word vomit just to say “know your place.”

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    That’s a whole lot of word vomit just to say “know your place.”
    And you've spewed 3,444 posts of word vomit on here with no effect.

I'm not telling UL to "know its place." I'm saying that RP and the fan base as a whole will continue to lose their minds over this team until they acknowledge that there is a massive gap between reality and their expectations.

And you've spewed 3,444 posts of word vomit on here with no effect.

I'm not telling UL to "know its place." I'm saying that RP and the fan base as a whole will continue to lose their minds over this team until they acknowledge that there is a massive gap between reality and their expectations.
    We want to see the athletic department and university be the best that it can. This coaching staff is not that. This promotions team is not that. You yourself are a casual who admitted you had no clue there was a game yesterday. That’s on us, and that’s not good enough. That has nothing to do with LSU, McNeese, or ULM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    We want to see the athletic department and university be the best that it can.
    I don't think this is true. If it were, then RP would be far less unhinged. My perception is that the expectation isn't just to "be your best." The expectation is to "be the best." My whole point is that people expect UL to be on par with LSU and/or any other major college football program in the country. If you don't think that's the case, then scroll through several threads and get back to me.

11. Default Re: The Great Chasm

I don't think this is true. If it were, then RP would be far less unhinged. My perception is that the expectation isn't just to "be your best." The expectation is to "be the best." My whole point is that people expect UL to be on par with LSU and/or any other major college football program in the country. If you don't think that's the case, then scroll through several threads and get back to me.
    I think everyone acknowledges P5 won't come calling, so I'm not sure where you are gathering your perception from.

You are certainly entitled to the opinion.

I view most threads. I see a lot of people who want the university we went to and are fans of to improve. Our marketing, promotions, gameday experience, on field products, ticketing, concessions, merchandising, etc etc or any of the other litany of subjects you see discussed here on a daily basis have nothing to do with other institutions. You spoke about us wanting others to respect us earlier. I want the people getting paid by the university to have enough respect for their job and for themselves to recognize that the efforts being put out now are not good enough.

I think everyone acknowledges P5 won't come calling, so I'm not sure where you are gathering your perception from.
    This website. Every other thread.

14. Default Re: The Great Chasm

A lot of the conversations in here revolve around the Cajuns receiving a certain degree of respect. That is, no one wants UL to be as mediocre and forgettable as other schools like ULM or McNeese. We propose ideas like rebranding, marketing, making it to a bowl game, and labeling the school Louisiana instead of UL or Lafayette.

Last night UL lost to Southern Miss, effectively eliminating any chances of a conference championship. No doubt, everyone is upset, and the comments now revolve around what UL should’ve done to win the game. Here’s the problem: if UL wants to get more respect, it’s not a matter of beating USM; it’s a matter of absolutely demolishing USM… and everyone else. You always compare UL to LSU, and that’s kind of an apples to oranges comparison because UL will never be on LSU’s level, but it does reveal a truth about where UL currently stands versus where they want to be.

There is an enormous gap, a chasm, between reality and what RP thinks is possible. UL is sooooooo far away from the reputation that it seeks, and the solution isn’t just to add onto the stadium, to get a mascot, to marginally increase NIL, or to barely win the SBC. This isn’t a “baby steps” proposition. The gap is too wide for that.

Yes, it starts on the field, so the critiques of the coaching staff are warranted. It starts with beating an out of conference opponent. It continues with winning the SBC with ease, with being undefeated and ranked in the top 20 or top 15. And once that happens, it needs to happen again, and again. Only then will people look at UL like they looked at Boise State a while back. “Who are these guys, and why are they so good?”

Does all of this seem impossible? Maybe so. And if it does, then perhaps we should all temper our expectations and be more realistic about this program’s future.
    UL is two years removed from the "reputation that it seeks." Did you just get here?

15. Default Re: The Great Chasm

What an absolutely absurd post.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information