Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Brown / Memphis

Default Re: Jordan Brown / Memphis

____ him. I hope he has to work for a living like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    First of all, I am a fan of Jordan Brown and wish him the best if he is able to continue his basketball career in the future. I hope he gets the NIL money he was promised because his stint at Memphis to me has been a major and colossal disappointment. He played sparingly and his statistics were very low and nowhere near as compared to the numbers he put up at UL. There is no way this helped him with a possible career in basketball at the next level wherever that might be. To top it off Memphis lost today in their first conference tournament game to a bad Wichita St. team with Jordan scoring 6 points with zero rebounds. There will be no NCAA tournament bid for Memphis this year. Just wondering what kind of team we would have had this season with Jordan on the team. I hope the NIL money he received was worth putting up with the calamity of a season he endured. For his sake I hope he still gets a chance to play overseas.
    Boohoo…JB can kick rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    ____ him. I hope he has to work for a living like the rest of us.
    Amen

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand why someone would be upset at Jordan Brown leaving. I was disappointed when he left too but whether we like it or not that is college sports today. Jordan gave us two very good years and if not for him we would not have been in NCAA Tournament in 2022-23 season. He graduated from UL and is an alumnus of the University of Louisiana. He got his degree and did what he thought was best for him. If not for unprecedented Covid season he would have exhausted his eligibility last season playing at UL.

He looked at his NBA prospects, which weren't great, and had Memphis offering what? $250k? To come there... that's life changing money even if he never plays another minute of basketball

Unfortunately it sounds like he didn't get much, if any, of the money he expected

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand why someone would be upset at Jordan Brown leaving. I was disappointed when he left too but whether we like it or not that is college sports today. Jordan gave us two very good years and if not for him we would not have been in NCAA Tournament in 2022-23 season. He graduated from UL and is an alumnus of the University of Louisiana. He got his degree and did what he thought was best for him. If not for unprecedented Covid season he would have exhausted his eligibility last season playing at UL.
    OK

First of all, I am a fan of Jordan Brown and wish him the best if he is able to continue his basketball career in the future. I hope he gets the NIL money he was promised because his stint at Memphis to me has been a major and colossal disappointment. He played sparingly and his statistics were very low and nowhere near as compared to the numbers he put up at UL. There is no way this helped him with a possible career in basketball at the next level wherever that might be. To top it off Memphis lost today in their first conference tournament game to a bad Wichita St. team with Jordan scoring 6 points with zero rebounds. There will be no NCAA tournament bid for Memphis this year. Just wondering what kind of team we would have had this season with Jordan on the team. I hope the NIL money he received was worth putting up with the calamity of a season he endured. For his sake I hope he still gets a chance to play overseas.
    Well, I hope OUR players learn from this; the grass is not always greener elsewhere. Oh, and I guess the money may not be either.

Are NIL's binding signed contracts or just verbal agreements with a handshake?

If in writing do they do bait and switch in the fine print or just have better shysters in the recruiting?

This really bothers me because I hate liars and bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    Are NIL's binding signed contracts or just verbal agreements with a handshake?

If in writing do they do bait and switch in the fine print or just have better shysters in the recruiting?

This really bothers me because I hate liars and bullies.
    I do wonder with these NIL deals how many of these athletes get representation that can at least read, understand, and interpret any written agreement for them, and also be available to litigate should there be a breech by the person or entity promising X amount of dollars.

I'm thinking your folks like (obviously the first one because family has money) Arch Manning and Caleb Williams, who are being promised HUGE sums, have that sort of legal representation. But if you're someone being promised $250k, and you come from a family and situation with barely anything, having some lawyer some in and review contracts and such for a fee of 1/3 of your earnings is a significant ding in money you and/or your household could use. That $250k becomes $166,666.67. Oh...and then I'm sure Uncle Sam is going to need his "fair share". You're possibly down to about $150k net once that happens.

I can see alot of athletes and whomever parents or relatives they have helping in those situations deciding that they're not giving up $83k in that scenario. A family member maybe gives that agreement a second pair of eyes, then it's signed. Or no agreement signed. Take them at their word, handshake, and you enroll at the school.

It may, in a few cases, whether one or both parties want a paper trail. If you’re going to school and your scholarship is partially on a grant, 100k messes that up. Not to mention income tax.

And, though I’m assuming every NIL contributor is squeaky clean, I can envision a Walter White situation could be out there at some point.

11. Default Re: Jordan Brown / Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I do wonder with these NIL deals how many of these athletes get representation that can at least read, understand, and interpret any written agreement for them, and also be available to litigate should there be a breech by the person or entity promising X amount of dollars.

I'm thinking your folks like (obviously the first one because family has money) Arch Manning and Caleb Williams, who are being promised HUGE sums, have that sort of legal representation. But if you're someone being promised $250k, and you come from a family and situation with barely anything, having some lawyer some in and review contracts and such for a fee of 1/3 of your earnings is a significant ding in money you and/or your household could use. That $250k becomes $166,666.67. Oh...and then I'm sure Uncle Sam is going to need his "fair share". You're possibly down to about $150k net once that happens.

I can see alot of athletes and whomever parents or relatives they have helping in those situations deciding that they're not giving up $83k in that scenario. A family member maybe gives that agreement a second pair of eyes, then it's signed. Or no agreement signed. Take them at their word, handshake, and you enroll at the school.
    A competent legal opinion on a contract isn’t necessarily or likely to cost anything like a third. Now if there’s a breach, then that’s something altogether different and generally going to cost percentage and expenses.

As for his leaving, not sure of the circumstances but he should have told coaches much sooner if he wasn’t sure if he’d stay for the NIL we could offer at that moment. Just be honest. If he was then good luck going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    There's still people here who think that increased or unlimited playing time at UL is a positive in the eyes of talented college athletes...
    It can absolutely make a difference. There are players who have had tremendous senior years that elevate or even create their draft status.

13. Default Re: Jordan Brown / Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    There's still people here who think that increased or unlimited playing time at UL is a positive in the eyes of talented college athletes...
    Wait!

There are those that DON'T?

Obviously they haven't talked to logic, nor've * they been properly recruited.

JB can go overseas, but in the long run, start working in the real world is probably the better option in the long run.

UL Basketball Re: Jordan Brown / Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    JB can go overseas, but in the long run, start working in the real world is probably the better option in the long run.
    Orien Greene had
    JB, two deals for 15-25K a month when he left Memphis the first time. I wouldn’t go into the real world just yet with deals like that on the table!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information