Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New basketball court side food/bar

UL Basketball New basketball court side food/bar

Since I am obviously an uneducated idiot….

Someone with more brain cells than I- PLEASE help me understand the new $1000 “premium” area.
    Seems like they overshot the pricing by somewhere around 3-4 X… maybe more?

This is what I’ve seen over the last 20ish years, accelerated in the last 5-8 years. (All sports/venues)
    1) Price the average/middle-upper fan/GIVER out.
    2) Keep the club small- that way there are less people/inconveniences to spend time on.
    3) Continue to allow “the Cajundome” $ issues to screw everyone! (fans & the University)
    4) Say we need to keep up with the SBC Jones’s (peers)
    5) Express dissatisfaction when people don’t show up

Regular people want to be involved and they want to give but they do not want to be raped (figuratively speaking)

My $0.02
    Now, let the beatings recommence until morale improves!

And let me know why and how I’m wrong, of course…

Default Re: New basketball court side food/bar

Geaux Cajuns!

Hey, Danny. Geaux Cajuns! Yes, that is exactly what seems to be going on. I would classify myself as a 50-year superfan. Half a century of living and dying with my Cajuns, and I have arrived at retirement. I've got extra time to enjoy my teams but I cannot afford the direction they are going in.

Monetizing everything from parking to concessions might be the correct business decision for the athletic program, but the Average Joe senses that he is unwanted. That's how I feel, and those empty seats and empty parking lots tell me I am not alone.

Having 5k people at the game means they need at least one more ticket scanner, one more beer pourer, and probably an extra Orville Redenbacher person

That's just not feasible

At least they went back down to last year’s prices for the beer. Me and my daughter went eat before because I wasn’t paying $12 for a small popcorn and a coke. I sure hope something is being done to get out of that ridiculous contract. I know easier said than done. But Dr. Maggard if you’re reading can we please bring the $2 nattys to the dome? Grown folks with decent paying jobs can barely afford a $14 beer these days. College kids surely can’t afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post

Someone with more brain cells than I- PLEASE help me understand the new $1000 “premium” area.

This is what I’ve seen over the last 20ish years, accelerated in the last 5-8 years. (All sports/venues)
    2) Keep the club small- that way there are less people/inconveniences to spend time on.
    3) Continue to allow “the Cajundome” $ issues to screw everyone! (fans & the University)

Regular people want to be involved and they want to give but they do not want to be raped (figuratively speaking)

My $0.02

The university administration would rather be Ole Miss or Texas. They absolutely don’t want to be inclusive.

Very good points on the pricing problems. I think every decision maker in any revenue creating position in athletics should have to take at least one Economics class at UL.

You are not cheapening the product by lowering the cost of admission. You are allowing families to afford it. Then force the concessions to lower prices to the affordability level. I realize they have a monopoly in the dome but just try lower prices and see your profits grow!

Try one game; half price everything, tickets and concessions.

Does the $1000 mean, the total of all donations given to all sports?

Quote Originally Posted by RCFan View Post
    No. Over and above that. It’s a one time $1,000 paid admission to the area for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by RCFan View Post
    I think you have to have courtside tickets (first row) or spend $1000 for the season?

Of course courtside tickets require an $1,800 donation per seat

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post

My $0.02

Goes back to the lack of RCAF growth. If more members existed, lower price point.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    I think you have to have courtside tickets (first row) or spend $1000 for the season?
    Oh no, BeauCajun is correct. Pony up $1k extra for the priviledge of buying concessions there.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Try one game; half price everything, tickets and concessions.
    Cue the people here who say "we've tried pricing promotions and still nobody showed up"

It will take more than one game. It will take more than one promotion. You'll have to advertise it somewhere outside of your usual channels that consist or the 1200 people who show up anyway.

The school has now firmly entrenched itself as "overpriced" to most of Acadiana. It's going to take a major effort to start to turn that ocean liner...

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Cue the people here who say "we've tried pricing promotions and still nobody showed up"

It will take more than one game. It will take more than one promotion. You'll have to advertise it somewhere outside of your usual channels that consist or the 1200 people who show up anyway.

The school has now firmly entrenched itself as "overpriced" to most of Acadiana. It's going to take a major effort to start to turn that ocean liner...
    I agree with your two points.

It will take more than one game BUT by promoting it in advance and to the basketball community, let's see what the results are. If people don't show up then they made the right decision in pricing. But if people do show up and the results don't cause a price reduction, well that is just bad business.

I don’t have a problem with the new section. If people want to pay the cost, it does not affect me. That is a different issue than trying to get additional people in the Dome. The school can do nothing about the concessions. Perhaps influence can be put on the Dome next time they negotiate a contract. Push for a separate basketball deal. TicketMaster is still a problem but should not be by next season.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information