Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bookstore prices

1. Default Re: Bookstore prices

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Doesn’t matter.

This deal is similar to the Learfield deal with athletics. UL gets paid regardless.
    Locked in. ?

Default Re: Bookstore prices

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Doesn’t matter.

This deal is similar to the Learfield deal with athletics. UL gets paid regardless.
    In that case, there's no reason to buy from the Ragin Cajuns store any more. Their selection has gone to crap and their prices are too high since B&N took over

If the school doesn't benefit from sales there I'm not overpaying for junk

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Sounds shortsighted. Get that quick paycheck but distance ourselves even further from our students.

I was in school for the last year of Bustle and the first 3 years of Hud. It was really cool to see that switch flip from hardly any gear on campus to it being covered in bowls shirts, etc. Sad to see us going back in the wrong direction. I'm on campus for about an hour once a week. It honestly looks like our students can't afford our gear because I don't see much of it.
    I just have to wonder if UL knew BN would be charging twice as much for apparel and ____ing off all their customers. I suspect they didn’t.

Hopefully when this contract gets renegotiated they can put a clause in that limits the amount of money they can charge for apparel and merch.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Locked in. ?
    There may be other small caveats to the deal, but yes.

First it was selection and now it's price. What didn't appear to be a bad deal at the start due to lack of selection during & right after covid turned into a horrible deal now that the prices have skyrocketed. I went and look at a few items and compared other schools.

Adidas Aeroready Polo (Basic one color with team logo)
    UL - $90
    Tx A&M - $75
    Ms State - $81

Adidas Aeroready 1/4 Zip Pulloever (Basic one color with team logo)
    UL - $110
    Tx A&M - $75
    Ms State - $75

Adidas Shooter Pullover
    UL - $65
    Tx A&M - $75
    Ms State - $61

Youth Champion Long Sleeve T-Shirt
    UL - $32
    Tx A&M - $38
    Ms State - $38

Like I've noticed on Columbia shirts at the bookstore compared to Academy & other spots, some are comparable but some are large differences in the price. Even the most basic Adidas gear can be $15 - $35 more expensive than other stores. I'm sure they've notice a large decrease in sales but will they do anything about it is the question.

I'm sure they've notice a large decrease in sales but will they do anything about it is the question.
    I'd be shocked if the bookstore has ANY apparel sales to students. I know times change and everything, but my budget for school usually went:

1. Books (must)
    2. Beer (must)
    3. Food (if possible)
    4. Laundry (after enough complaints)

There was no time when I thought "hey, how about I pop into the bookstore and grab a $90 Adidas pullover!"

Those are the kinds of things you tell your family to buy you when they keep asking what you want for Christmas

7. Default Re: Bookstore prices

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    First it was selection and now it's price. What didn't appear to be a bad deal at the start due to lack of selection during & right after covid turned into a horrible deal now that the prices have skyrocketed. I went and look at a few items and compared other schools.

Adidas Aeroready Polo (Basic one color with team logo)
    UL - $90
    Tx A&M - $75
    Ms State - $81

Adidas Aeroready 1/4 Zip Pulloever (Basic one color with team logo)
    UL - $110
    Tx A&M - $75
    Ms State - $75

Adidas Shooter Pullover
    UL - $65
    Tx A&M - $75
    Ms State - $61

Youth Champion Long Sleeve T-Shirt
    UL - $32
    Tx A&M - $38
    Ms State - $38

Like I've noticed on Columbia shirts at the bookstore compared to Academy & other spots, some are comparable but some are large differences in the price. Even the most basic Adidas gear can be $15 - $35 more expensive than other stores. I'm sure they've notice a large decrease in sales but will they do anything about it is the question.
    Perhaps they already have, but if their business model is anything like the CajunDome model they will go even higher to compensate for lost sales.

Yall dont understand. We are a premium university. You have to pay to play. We need all of the revenue streams to pay for top level talent at the manager levels. So stop complaining about the prices. Just show up and pay the price. *sarcasm off*

9. Default Re: Bookstore prices

For 2 quarters Tesla made MORE money by lowering prices.

Neither strategy works long term because as soon as the price feels the norm, you've either lost a customer permanently (if to high) or the customer base is not incentivized to purchase more immediately when low

Find a happy medium. .

10. Default Re: Bookstore prices

. At the same time Apple is making more money but not because of higher sales, which are slumping.

Apple raised prices to make more money and it worked at least temporarily, but that model is unsustainable for raising profit.

Perhaps the book store is going after the current Apple model.

Look at Little Caesars. Since introducing that $5 Hot and Ready, they're now branded on Fox NFL Sunday. I've gone to Papa John's, no lie, twice since 2017.

Lower prices and focus on volume. Has anyone ever seen a person walking out of Papa John's carrying out 5 boxes of pizza, not me. You'd be better off buying shares of G.E. 30% of the time I go to Little Caesars they have people walking out that can barely even see over the boxes.

This Sunday on Fox, watch, Little Caesars brand everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Look at Little Caesars. Since introducing that $5 Hot and Ready, they're now branded on Fox NFL Sunday. I've gone to Papa John's, no lie, twice since 2017.

Lower prices and focus on volume. Has anyone ever seen a person walking out of Papa John's carrying out 5 boxes of pizza, not me. You'd be better off buying shares of G.E. 30% of the time I go to Little Caesars they have people walking out that can barely even see over the boxes.

At one time, their Extra Most Best line for 6$ was the greatest thing on earth. Nowadays, they still offer it, but there is way less cheese and meat than when it was first introduced. Back then, I ate 2 or 3 per week.

These shirts were in our bookstore for I believe $5 for the Troy game in 2012. Our students should leave with closets full of this stuff before they are done with their time at UL. Ragin Cajuns logo. Beat “insert school name.” Cotton shirt. Sell it just above cost. 17,000 potential walking/talking billboards.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Been saying the same thing about tailgating and creating a lot for general admission parking in Lot E.

except the hot and ready's for one topping are 7.99 now. i know i got one for the kids a couple nights ago

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information