Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

Default Re: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

we just finished the weekend with a sweep. doesn't everyone know we have to find something to b*tch about?

First off, concerning the heat.

We moved Saturday games to 6pm. That means in warm weather we'll have to play a day game four times. I think we'll all survive that.including the players.

I noticed the smell of the rubber as well. Talked to Scott Farmer about that. It's because of the newness. You can walk over to Cajun Field and won't smell the rubber. Same company.

I'm a traditionalist and I like grass too. But I sure understand why a midmajor would have it installed. Between the lack of maintainance from a labor and financial standpoint and the fact that the field is now level, there's brand new drainage and the "bad dirt" has been removed, it's really a no brainer from a practical standpoint.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post

I noticed the smell of the rubber as well. Talked to Scott Farmer about that. It's because of the newness. You can walk over to Cajun Field and won't smell the rubber. Same company.
    But Cajun Field has entirely different fill material, doesn't it?

From what I remember walking around Cajun Field has silicon pellets, while the Tigue has Rubber cuttings.

That would explain the lack of smell.

Of course the rubber smell will diminish over time, hopefully enough towhere it isn't as noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    But Cajun Field has entirely different fill material, doesn't it?

From what I remember walking around Cajun Field has silicon pellets, while the Tigue has Rubber cuttings.

That would explain the lack of smell.

Of course the rubber smell will diminish over time, hopefully enough towhere it isn't as noticeable.
    The Tigue uses both rubbber & sand at variable ratio's around different parts of the field.

5. Default Re: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

AAAAAhhhh----hey guys--the other teams for the most part play on regular weed---we play on that nasty artificial stuff----ERGO advantage Cajuns when we play these other guys at home!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    First off, concerning the heat.

We moved Saturday games to 6pm. That means in warm weather we'll have to play a day game four times. I think we'll all survive that.including the players.

I'm a traditionalist and I like grass too. But I sure understand why a midmajor would have it installed. Between the lack of maintainance from a labor and financial standpoint and the fact that the field is now level, there's brand new drainage and the "bad dirt" has been removed, it's really a no brainer from a practical standpoint.
    To carry that thought a little further. University of Texas isn't a mid-major. With money to burn and attracting some of the top talent in this country and just a few national championships that artificial green stuff isn't hurting them. In 2008 they "upgraded" from an old artificial field to fieldturf.

And to a prior poster's comments. Contrary to what was stated I understand that the majority of players like it and apparently a lot of players from high school also like it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information