Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

Default What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

Does anyone know what players think, or have said, about the new turf? I noticed they had it at the sunbelt tournament last year. It looks great, but seems like it would be bothersome in the batter's box.

Default Re: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBlake22 View Post
    _ Does anyone know what players think, or have said, about the new turf? I noticed they had it at the sunbelt tournament last year. It looks great, but seems like it would be bothersome in the batter's box. _
    I have not heard what the players think. But it is funny to watch them out of habit 'smooth the dirt over' with their foot right after taking a pitch. Or watching them bang the bat on their shoe to get the dirt out of the spikes before stepping into the box.

I have heard a lot of fans complaining about the glare from the sun. Sunglasses did the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    I have heard a lot of fans complaining about the glare from the sun. Sunglasses did the trick for me.
    Wear non-polarized sunglasses, then put on some polarized sunglasses. It's like going from SD to HD!

4. Default Re: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

Went to the FAU game and it was really interesting watching the batters not be able to dig in and do their rituals in the dirt. The players also had to learn to slide differently according to one dad, trafica (spelling).

5. Default Re: What is the consensus on the new field turf at the Tigue?

Is personally do not like it
    igeaux.mobi

dont know about the players but from a fans perspective there are pros and cons.i like it cause u will hardly get a rain out so u can go to the Tigue alot. I much prefer to walk up to the smell of fresh cut grass and strips on the field!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Etowncajun View Post
    _ Went to the FAU game and it was really interesting watching the batters not be able to dig in and do their rituals in the dirt. The players also had to learn to slide differently according to one dad, trafica (spelling). _

This is the only problem I have with it. As a hitter it would mess with my mind too much to not be able to dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBlake22 View Post
    _ This is the only problem I have with it. As a hitter it would mess with my mind too much to not be able to dig in. _
    Something to think about: They can't dig in in the cages, so it's not like they have to adjust to it in the game

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    _ Something to think about: They can't dig in in the cages, so it's not like they have to adjust to it in the game _
    Hasn't hurt Tulane or Troy bats. The game is as much mental, as it is physical.

The new turf has been laid already. Done issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    The new turf has been laid already. Done issue.
    Anything laid down can be ripped up.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ The new turf has been laid already. Done issue. _
    Obviously. Like I said, I think it looks great and agree that there are many pluses to having it. I was just curious if anyone knew what the players thought of it.

I don't like it. It's not baseball and it was done for purely economic reasons. I also think it's going to be a disadvantage in recruiting. Players prefer grass.

Try standing on that crap in the warm months. The temp radiating off that field to about mid thigh is a minimum of about 10 degrees hotter. These kids are out on that baseball field during some pretty hot months out of season too.

I agree, it is just not the same. Baseball was meant to be played on grass!! I think the "dirt" part on infield just does not look right. I was very disappointed when we decided to put turf down.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBoudin View Post
    _ I don't like it. It's not baseball and it was done for purely economic reasons. I also think it's going to be a disadvantage in recruiting. Players prefer grass.

Try standing on that crap in the warm months. The temp radiating off that field to about mid thigh is a minimum of about 10 degrees hotter. These kids are out on that baseball field during some pretty hot months out of season too. _

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBoudin View Post
    _ I don't like it. It's not baseball and it was done for purely economic reasons. I also think it's going to be a disadvantage in recruiting. Players prefer grass.

Try standing on that crap in the warm months. The temp radiating off that field to about mid thigh is a minimum of about 10 degrees hotter. These kids are out on that baseball field during some pretty hot months out of season too. _
    The filler is a neutral color for that very reason. Athletes shouldn't have to spend so much time keeping up a natural field. Again, its not a problem for Tulane, USA or Troy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information