Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How We Wound Up With Buffalo

UL Football How We Wound Up With Buffalo

Dr. Maggard told the story on "Louisiana Athletics Live" and on a podcast we did. I know many of you know the story, but for those who don't......

We were supposed to play New Mexico State this year at Cajun Field. But NMSU got accepted to CUSA and had to get rid of games to make way for conference games. UL was one of the games that got canceled. Now, we found this out late in comparison to how FB games are normally scheduled.

It looked like we might have to schedule a second FCS school. Certainly didn't want that. (I remember a "spirited" discussion about this back in the late winter or spring.) App State had to do the same thing last year after Marshall came into the league, as they were supposed to be a non conference game for App. App wound up 6-6 and not eligible for a bowl because they had two FCS wins.

So, Dr. Maggard started going through every single football schedule in the FBS to see if he could find a school that WASN'T already playing an FCS school.

He found Old Dominion.

Dr. Maggard called ODU AD Wood Selig (was WKU AD when they were in the Belt.) Dr. Selig was receptive to trading Buffalo to the Cajuns in exchange for an FCS opponent. Texas A&M Commerce, who started FCS in the Southland last year, had an opening and was willing to go to ODU.

Now, to convince Buffalo. It happens Dr. Maggard knew the Buffalo AD as both had ties to the Missouri tree. Although Buffalo has no recruiting footprint in LA (they do have one in VA), Buffalo agreed to come. We will return the visit in 2030.

I don't know if there were any other considerations given to Buffalo and/or ODU.

Scheduling can be interesting sometimes. Helluva job by Dr. Maggard IMO.

Default Re: How We Wound Up With Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Dr. Maggard told the story on "Louisiana Athletics Live" and on a podcast we did. I know many of you know the story, but for those who don't......

We were supposed to play New Mexico State this year at Cajun Field. But NMSU got accepted to CUSA and had to get rid of games to make way for conference games. UL was one of the games that got canceled. Now, we found this out late in comparison to how FB games are normally scheduled.

It looked like we might have to schedule a second FCS school. Certainly didn't want that. (I remember a "spirited" discussion about this back in the late winter or spring.) App State had to do the same thing last year after Marshall came into the league, as they were supposed to be a non conference game for App. App wound up 6-6 and not eligible for a bowl because they had two FCS wins.

So, Dr. Maggard started going through every single football schedule in the FBS to see if he could find a school that WASN'T already playing an FCS school.

He found Old Dominion.

Dr. Maggard called ODU AD Wood Selig (was WKU AD when they were in the Belt.) Dr. Selig was receptive to trading Buffalo to the Cajuns in exchange for an FCS opponent. Texas A&M Commerce, who started FCS in the Southland last year, had an opening and was willing to go to ODU.

Now, to convince Buffalo. It happens Dr. Maggard knew the Buffalo AD as both had ties to the Missouri tree. Although Buffalo has no recruiting footprint in LA (they do have one in VA), Buffalo agreed to come. We will return the visit in 2030.

I don't know if there were any other considerations given to Buffalo and/or ODU.

Good stuff Jay.

He found Old Dominion.

Agree that the AD earned his money making that deal come about.

He found Old Dominion.

I remember the story and thanks for reminding us. It is amazing how that all went down and how are AD handled it. Thanks for the story.

Kudos to Maggard.

Nicely done by the Maggard! Kudos to ODU and Buffalo too!

He found Old Dominion.

Wow. That is a lot of moving parts. Great job by Maggard.

Thanks for sharing

8. Default Re: How We Wound Up With Buffalo

. . . goes to show that scheduling is really not all as easy as sometimes let on here . . .

9. Default Re: How We Wound Up With Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . goes to show that scheduling is really not all as easy as sometimes let on here . . .
    Scheduling is still easier than ever, but when late in the process anomalies strike, (like a school changing conferences) its nice to be in capable hands.

10. Default Re: How We Wound Up With Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Scheduling is still easier than ever, but when late in the process anomalies strike, (like a school changing conferences) its nice to be in capable hands.
    . . . Prove it . . . now with NIL and immediate eligibility transfers, you never know what you will get . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I recall ADs back to Terry Don Phillips saying that football scheduling is one of the hardest parts of the job. How many schedules have you made to know that it is easy?

Losing to ODU makes sense now. It was part of the deal.

Oh we know he could have easily scheduled a beatable big name P5, but he chose to USL it. I bet the ghost of Dr. A was standing over his shoulder when he did this. CMD probably wanted us to schedule Erath so his HS offense can finally work.

Whew Mexico State shouldn't ever be on another UL football schedule....we're better than that....I Hope

People focus on that fear of 2 fcs and not being eligible too much. If you play two fcs and finish 7-5 or better then it is not an issue. If you don't play 2 fcs and finish 5-7 still not eligible.

Plus there is always a chance for waiver for the 6-6 with 2 fcs but not for 5-7

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information