Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

1. Default Re: Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    . . . But that’s the thing, Texas, Florida and Tennessee are attractive for working professionals, while Louisiana is enticing for old retirees after they’ve made their . . .

. . . ding, ding, ding and some wonder why our fan base has hair that is either grey, white or balding . . .

Default Re: Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

8000 per year for a 200k valued home in Texas is pretty out of the norm. We’re y’all in a new, unincorporated development that had a ____ ton of MUDs attached to its property taxes?

But yeah, then your below statement about moving to Louisiana upon retirement, I think that’s part of the issue.

If you’re a working professional making income, then Texas suddenly becomes attractive without having a state income tax. Especially if you have school aged kids, then you can live in a good school district where you don’t have to worry about forking over private school tuition for a really good education.

Then suddenly, upon retirement, Louisiana becomes ideal place to settle in due to low property taxes. Which is awesome to be in the friendly South Louisiana communities.

But that’s the thing, Texas, Florida and Tennessee are attractive for working professionals, while Louisiana is enticing for old retirees after they’ve made their money.

Seems like not the best combo for our home state.
    I was at 3.875% in Pearland. So 4% isn’t really out of family.

Moved to Missouri City and got it down to 2.7. Still in a major neighborhood, just older so we don’t have as much MUD.

3. Default Re: Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

8000 per year for a 200k valued home in Texas is pretty out of the norm. We’re y’all in a new, unincorporated development that had a ____ ton of MUDs attached to its property taxes?

But yeah, then your below statement about moving to Louisiana upon retirement, I think that’s part of the issue.

If you’re a working professional making income, then Texas suddenly becomes attractive without having a state income tax. Especially if you have school aged kids, then you can live in a good school district where you don’t have to worry about forking over private school tuition for a really good education.

Then suddenly, upon retirement, Louisiana becomes ideal place to settle in due to low property taxes. Which is awesome to be in the friendly South Louisiana communities.

But that’s the thing, Texas, Florida and Tennessee are attractive for working professionals, while Louisiana is enticing for old retirees after they’ve made their money.

Seems like not the best combo for our home state.
    Forget taxes, focus on incredible cost of insurance in every area of Louisiana

As someone who does liability claims in lots of states in the US, I am afraid Texas is now on track to become a Louisiana when it come to cost of auto and commercial insurance. The rewards being awarded in Texas are even more extravagant than Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    As someone who does liability claims in lots of states in the US, I am afraid Texas is now on track to become a Louisiana when it come to cost of auto and commercial insurance. The rewards being awarded in Texas are even more extravagant than Louisiana.
    This is actually true. Both LA and TX have heavy negatives in this department.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Property taxes vary in Texas from one county or school district to another. When we left Texas we lived in the Joshua school district. It is one of the better school systems in Texas, along with neighboring Burleson. We needed to live in the area for my job. Regardless, our taxes (county and school taxes) ran close to 8000 per year for our upper 200k house. If you have school age kids, this is a good deal because they attend schools that are better than a lot of private schools. We did not have school age kids, but we had to pay the premium anyway. To be fair, the county roads and other local government services were excellent also. I guess you get what you pay for. I know people who live in rural areas of Texas who pay very low property taxes. (1500-3000 depending on property value) I retired near Opelousas, and my property taxes are very low. This was a factor in moving here, along with having family in the area. Since I no longer work, I have very little income tax as well. Having said that, the schools and roads in the area are very poor.
    Key to retiring in St. Landry Parish? Four wheel drive, upgraded suspension, and patience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information