Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

UL Football Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

The Liberty Bowl is home to the Memphis Tigers. It is undergoing a $220M redo and below is how it is being financed. Can Lafayette take a cue from Memphis in support of UL's stadium redo?

LIBERTY BOWL
    $121.5 million from State Allocation
    $30.9 million from an existing city 0.5% hotel/motel tax
    $30.9 million from the city's new city 1% hotel/motel tax
    $27.3 million from an existing city/MLGW PILOT
    $4.4 million from a 5% stadium TDZ surcharge

Default Re: Liberty Bowl redo - $220M

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    The Liberty Bowl is home to the Memphis Tigers. It is undergoing a $220M redo and below is how it is being financed. Can Lafayette take a cue from Memphis in support of UL's stadium redo?

LIBERTY BOWL
    $121.5 million from State Allocation
    $30.9 million from an existing city 0.5% hotel/motel tax
    $30.9 million from the city's new city 1% hotel/motel tax
    $27.3 million from an existing city/MLGW PILOT
    $4.4 million from a 5% stadium TDZ surcharge
    Doesnt the city of Memphis own the Liberty Bowl? I know its not on campus

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Doesnt the city of Memphis own the Liberty Bowl? I know its not on campus
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Doesn't the city of Memphis own the Liberty Bowl? I know its not on campus
    I don't know, but you may be right. Even so, UL's financial impact on the city of Lafayette and Acadiana is huge and an investment by the city would not only help UL but put tax dollars in the city coffers as game day events draw greater crowds. Not to mention what kind of financial impact an entertainment zone could have if it can be developed around the Cajun Field area.

Now this is how you do it. Even from outside the structure you're given a blueprint to the confidence in the program's future.

Name:  Memphis.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  155.3 KB

Memphis Stadium planned improvements

I have a feeling Tennessee's state government finances are in a tad better shape than Louisiana's.

I don't know, but you may be right. Even so, UL's financial impact on the city of Lafayette and Acadiana is huge and an investment by the city would not only help UL but put tax dollars in the city coffers as game day events draw greater crowds. Not to mention what kind of financial impact an entertainment zone could have if it can be developed around the Cajun Field area.
    I would love the city to get involved financially. There was a tax discussed a few years back (similar to the airport tax) but I don't know if the walmart voters would pass it if it was on a ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I have a feeling Tennessee's state government finances are in a tad better shape than Louisiana's.
    And no state income tax!

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    And no state income tax!
    Nevermind, then. I take back my poor assumption.

There is NO WAY a no income tax state could have better finances than those with income taxes. Impossible.

There is NO WAY a no income tax state could have better finances than those with income taxes. Impossible.
    Hilarious

Exactly, Tennessee, Texas and Florida are all on the brink of financial ruin because of their pro business stance and their foolish decision to forego state income taxes. Thank goodness our wise leaders here in Louisiana have never made either of those terrible mistakes.

eye roll

Check their property taxes.

Parochial politics would never allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Exactly, Tennessee, Texas and Florida are all on the brink of financial ruin because of their pro business stance and their foolish decision to forego state income taxes. Thank goodness our wise leaders here in Louisiana have never made either of those terrible mistakes.

eye roll
    Now, now, Charlie. You know our faithful public servants work day and night to earn your trust!

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Check their property taxes.
    While the property tax goes to the district they are in, thus, making their schools and roads better in the community. LA is the one that needs to get with the time but it wont ever happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information