Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Portal & NIL

Support The Portal & NIL

Years ago one of our alumnae, a journalist, went off to the big city because she wanted to work with "the big boys." She left after a few years and told me that she had discovered, "The only difference between the big boys and the small boys, is their budgets."

I see this all of the time. I have met rather unimpressive MDs, scientists, and others from Ivy League schools, and I have met impressive people from McNeese, Nicholls, and even LSUE. You have to pay attention, and use your own judgement, or you'll miss things.

Those at the 'top' of the world live in a self-congratulatory echo chamber. Because they have more money, they are not only ignorant, but arrogant. Dangerous combination.

The reason I bring all this up, is I am watching how so many mid-majors (particularly in the 'Belt) are pulling off nail-biters against the P5, including quite a few upsets.

So I am wondering how much the portal is accomplishing the reverse of what the presidents, ADs, coaches, and wealthy alumni who run big-time college sports were absolutely sure that it would. How many talented players tire of polishing the pines because the coach is too ignorant & arrogant to evaluate and retain talent. So they jump through the portal to a 'smaller' school where they can play right away.

I also wonder if NIL runs off some players. You have a handful of players on the team who are pulling down major paydays, perhaps even flaunting their wealth, and maybe not even bothering to go to class. What does that do to team unity? Do those big-money players tend to run off players who don't need the money, and who are working their butts off because they want a real education, and because they love the game?

One thing's for sure: something's going on. Because we are seeing a lot more parity than we did in the past.

Default Re: The Portal & NIL

I worked with people from all over the world and universities throughout the nation during my 39 year plus career in the energy industry. I once remarked there was one employee from Nicholls State who was more valuable to the company than a guy from Stanford. Where you went to school does not determine your success. As far as the upsets being seen in football, remember schools are still limited to 85 scholarships and the HS players of today are more advanced than years best. All that being said, watching Montrell Johnson for Florida against Tennessee tonight reminds me of how much it would help our team were he still here.

3. Default Re: The Portal & NIL

. . . I guess it’s CMD’s fault he is not still here . . .

Team chemistry is a real thing

5. Default Re: The Portal & NIL

There’s a whole lot of speculation going on here. The P5 are taking the best possible through NIL & TP but that may chase off the pine riders. Do the P5 or G5 get the better from the swap? Probably the P5. , but that’s just speculation on my part. Don’t know if anyone has done a peer reviewed research white paper on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . I guess it’s CMD’s fault he is not still here . . .
    If he turned a blind eye to tampering, then yes

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    All that being said, watching Montrell Johnson for Florida against Tennessee tonight reminds me of how much it would help our team were he still here.
    Sure. But we also saw the UL running game last night. And this is still a young team.

As the commentators remarked a couple of times, our coaches think this team has the same chemistry, intensity, and potential as did the 7-7 2018 team.

Also depends on where the games are played.
    NCAA football seems to be only "league" or "organization" that has such a disparity in number of home and away games for each team. I couldnt Imagine an MLB team playing more home games than another. So as p5s venture out on the road more the chance is there more as well as your reasons

We have a $280k valuation for NIL. We need that to be upwards of $1M in order to not lose as many players.

10. Default Re: The Portal & NIL

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    We have a $280k valuation for NIL. We need that to be upwards of $1M in order to not lose as many players.
    . . . like ZC if he continues to play and plays as advertised on this board . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . like ZC if he continues to play and plays as advertised on this board . . .
    And Harvey Broussard

Every thread by cajun fun is awesome.

What do you think about the seemingly carte Blanche ability for transfer portal transfers to get all of their academic credits to transfer yet the average student doesn't have that luxury.

13. Default Re: The Portal & NIL

And Harvey Broussard
    . . . agreed . . .

Has there been a widely organized effort to raise these funds?

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    Has there been a widely organized effort to raise these funds?
    Only one local lawyer that I am aware of has signed any of the UL athletes to an NIL deal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information