Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Portal & NIL

Default Re: The Portal & NIL

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    How long has this been around? I think there needs to be a tremendous effort in marketing this to the public. This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Who is in charge of it and how do we know how the funds are being used?
    Late July. Former Mcneese basketball coach John Aiken started it with Marlin. Was supposed to be used to supplement basketball NIL but Maggard has encompassed all of athletics thru it.

I see a basketball function. Is this a basketball only thing?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Years ago one of our alumnae, a journalist, went off to the big city because she wanted to work with "the big boys." She left after a few years and told me that she had discovered, "The only difference between the big boys and the small boys, is their budgets."

I see this all of the time. I have met rather unimpressive MDs, scientists, and others from Ivy League schools, and I have met impressive people from McNeese, Nicholls, and even LSUE. You have to pay attention, and use your own judgement, or you'll miss things.

Those at the 'top' of the world live in a self-congratulatory echo chamber. Because they have more money, they are not only ignorant, but arrogant. Dangerous combination.

The reason I bring all this up, is I am watching how so many mid-majors (particularly in the 'Belt) are pulling off nail-biters against the P5, including quite a few upsets.

So I am wondering how much the portal is accomplishing the reverse of what the presidents, ADs, coaches, and wealthy alumni who run big-time college sports were absolutely sure that it would. How many talented players tire of polishing the pines because the coach is too ignorant & arrogant to evaluate and retain talent. So they jump through the portal to a 'smaller' school where they can play right away.

I also wonder if NIL runs off some players. You have a handful of players on the team who are pulling down major paydays, perhaps even flaunting their wealth, and maybe not even bothering to go to class. What does that do to team unity? Do those big-money players tend to run off players who don't need the money, and who are working their butts off because they want a real education, and because they love the game?

One thing's for sure: something's going on. Because we are seeing a lot more parity than we did in the past.
    I think there may be some truth to your theory. I also think that some are watching others enter the portal and struggle to find homes, while others find homes and end up in worse situations trying to chase money and exposure. We had a few that I personally feel hurt their chances of playing at the next level by transferring. Number 2 for the Tigahs is one in particular that I think would be in a much better position as a probable number one option here than he is as a face in a crowd there. I don't think he really even gets any targets there. So far he has one td in a blowout over Grambling. He didn't have a single catch this past week and some fans think he should be a fourth option at best. Compare that with a guy like Michael Jefferson who would have very likely been drafted if not for the accident from playing here.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    This fundraiser is specifically for basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    The NIL collective will be for all sports, but this fundraiser is specifically for basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    On the website, it says that this is the "official" collective. Are there other collectives? Is the only collective affiliated with the university in some manner?
    I think there may have been a scam attempt along the way.

Who handles NIL for the university? There are 4 Kubota dealers in the Acadiana area. Jacob needs some love.

This first function is just for basketball, but it is also the collective introduction kick off party. This is a separate deal from RCAF. Collective funds are distributed directly to the athletes. RCAF donations are distributed to the UL athletic departments/sports.

9. Default Re: The Portal & NIL

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Who handles NIL for the university? There are 4 Kubota dealers in the Acadiana area. Jacob needs some love.
    Yes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Late July. Former Mcneese basketball coach John Aiken started it with Marlin. Was supposed to be used to supplement basketball NIL but Maggard has encompassed all of athletics thru it.
    So is mcneese involved? Or mcneese players potential recipients?

No this has nothing to do with McNeese and is only for UL athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    So is mcneese involved? Or mcneese players potential recipients?
    what?

Who in this collective decides which player will benefit from these funds and by how much?

I would give more money if I knew we were building a war chest for ZC. You know what I mean?

my understanding is that there will be a board which decides, after advice from coaches, to whom and how much the benefits will disbursed.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Who in this collective decides which player will benefit from these funds and by how much?

I would give more money if I knew we were building a war chest for ZC. You know what I mean?
    So, that many of you know, there are members of this board that are members of the collective committee. I don't want to get into the weeds here on how this is determined but suffice to say there is a way of handling each situation individually. I will say this with all certainty, until the money is at a certain point, there is no building a war chest for 1 single player in 1 sport and even then, I don't think that is what is going to happen. The goal is to make sure that we have enough money to make sure that we can help players out when they are in need or if we think that a situation is coming up where we need to compete vs another calling school.

This collective from what I understand is to better all of the sports and help the kids out that need it, when they need it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information