Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Field, the playing surface

Default Re: Cajun Field, the playing surface

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Since I don't know anything about this, if any of you are familiar with the different turfs, could you explain the differences between them and which would be your preferred choice. Helmut, I am looking at you as you seem to be familiar.
    There are only about three maybe four mills that can make artificial athletic field turf. There are more installers than that. Making an artificial turf is not brain surgery, the only thing you can do is alter the Density or length of the blades and the makeup of the backing. The backing is usually a roll of woven geotextile material that is impregnated with a silicone material to give it more body. They use a manufacturing process to insert the "grass blades" into the backing. They also perforate the backing to let water go through.

The ground is prepared with a slight crown for football fields and a slight slope for others (to shed rain water) The perforations in the backing allow some of the rain water to penetrate the membrane. The rest drains by sheet flow to the drainage system. Under the turf is a base of either lime stabilized or cement stabilized soil, a thin layer of fine limestone for drainage. (indoor arenas are installed on a concrete floor). All of the above is variable depending on the local site conditions.

Once the turf is placed the markings are installed. They usually get a sheep shearer and "shave" the plastic blades down to the backing. They hot glue the markings in a contrasting color into the bare area. These areas have a double backing which causes the blades to be longer than the surrounding turf. This is why someone can trip by themselves while running down the field.

Once all the markings are installed and the turf is tacked down and they spread a layer of fine sand to weigh the turf down and then rubber pellets to act as a cushion. This is highly variable.

The life of an artificial turf field depends on how often it is swept and how often a magnet is pulled over the surface to pick up metal objects (you would be surprised). Weather extremes have a lot to do with it too.

So which one is better. I don't know because a lot depends on the installation methods and skill of the install crew. Also, if the field would happen to get flooded then the rubber pellets either float away or get redistributed causing uneven cushion. To redistribute the rubber is a difficult thing because the only way they can do it is with a sweeper. It's not very precise because it depends on the skill of the operator and how much static electricity is built up on the turf. (don't touch the sweeper until its been grounded. You will get a shock). The life of the turf also depends on who is keeping it up.

And as Forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say about that"

Thanks for the information!

Much more than I expected but very appreciated.

you are welcome. that was the cliff notes edition.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    There are only about three maybe four mills that can make artificial athletic field turf. There are more installers than that. Making an artificial turf is not brain surgery, the only thing you can do is alter the Density or length of the blades and the makeup of the backing. The backing is usually a roll of woven geotextile material that is impregnated with a silicone material to give it more body. They use a manufacturing process to insert the "grass blades" into the backing. They also perforate the backing to let water go through.

The ground is prepared with a slight crown for football fields and a slight slope for others (to shed rain water) The perforations in the backing allow some of the rain water to penetrate the membrane. The rest drains by sheet flow to the drainage system. Under the turf is a base of either lime stabilized or cement stabilized soil, a thin layer of fine limestone for drainage. (indoor arenas are installed on a concrete floor). All of the above is variable depending on the local site conditions.

Once the turf is placed the markings are installed. They usually get a sheep shearer and "shave" the plastic blades down to the backing. They hot glue the markings in a contrasting color into the bare area. These areas have a double backing which causes the blades to be longer than the surrounding turf. This is why someone can trip by themselves while running down the field.

Once all the markings are installed and the turf is tacked down and they spread a layer of fine sand to weigh the turf down and then rubber pellets to act as a cushion. This is highly variable.

The life of an artificial turf field depends on how often it is swept and how often a magnet is pulled over the surface to pick up metal objects (you would be surprised). Weather extremes have a lot to do with it too.

So which one is better. I don't know because a lot depends on the installation methods and skill of the install crew. Also, if the field would happen to get flooded then the rubber pellets either float away or get redistributed causing uneven cushion. To redistribute the rubber is a difficult thing because the only way they can do it is with a sweeper. It's not very precise because it depends on the skill of the operator and how much static electricity is built up on the turf. (don't touch the sweeper until its been grounded. You will get a shock). The life of the turf also depends on who is keeping it up.

And as Forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say about that"
    Thanks for the in depth information. Alot more than I figured went into it.

5. Default Re: Cajun Field, the playing surface

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The original was from a barely used Saints Turf.
    Negative the original turf with the black end zones was brand new. The turf from the superdome was installed in the practice facility.

Above Palace Cafe in Nola, it's claimed that a private owner of the house above it has the old Superdome rug that had the old school Saints helmet painted at mid-field, installed on the roof of the said building as a courtyard (portioned).

7. Default Re: Cajun Field, the playing surface

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun_82 View Post
    Negative the original turf with the black end zones was brand new. The turf from the superdome was installed in the practice facility.
    Thanks

Hope they aren't waiting till last min to get the painting completed. I'll try and run by CF tomorrow and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Hope they aren't waiting till last min to get the painting completed. I'll try and run by CF tomorrow and take a look.
    I just passed by, and we still have pink end zones…
    SBC logos look to be freshly painted, so”fingers crossed”

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    I just passed by, and we still have pink end zones…
    SBC logos look to be freshly painted, so”fingers crossed”
    SBC logos looked "freshly painted" when I originally posted this thread. I'm worried they won't get to it this gamefor whatever reason. Is the paint combustible????

11. Default Re: Cajun Field, the playing surface

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    SBC logos looked "freshly painted" when I originally posted this thread. I'm worried they won't get to it this gamefor whatever reason. Is the paint combustible????
    The SBC logos havent been painted. The old logos were removed and replaced with the new SBC logos right before the Championship game against App. The new SBC logos do make the end zones and mid field logo look so much worse because it really shows how much the red has faded to pink.

Maybe the rain was stopping them from painting. They can literally paint everything in a few hours the day before. Trying to be an optimist here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Maybe the rain was stopping them from painting. They can literally paint everything in a few hours the day before. Trying to be an optimist here lol
    I agree as hot as it has been the paint should dry quick.

14. Default Re: Cajun Field, the playing surface

Get those painters a Snickers Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Get those painters a Snickers Bar.
    Say what?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information