Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Academic news from this morning

1. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Just ask App. New applications soared after the Game day Broadcast
    Source?

2. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    What kind of students applied? Not just SAT & GPA, but what are their goals? What do they think higher education is supposed to do for them?

I'll bet no one cancelled their applications to the Ivy League schools to go there.
    True. Very true.

But and however, in the late 1800's and early 1900's newspapers across the country (including the Advertuser) covered football scores for schools in the Ivy League like they cover the SEC today.

The nationwide exposure athletics gave those schools (academically) then, is still paying dividends today.

3. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Source
    https://news.yahoo.com/more-students.103138970.html

Default Re: Academic news from this morning

What kind of students applied? Not just SAT & GPA, but what are their goals? What do they think higher education is supposed to do for them?

I'll bet no one cancelled their applications to the Ivy League schools to go there.
    I'm just posting what I've read.I only familiar with 2 App Grads, both got solid educations at App. One is a Family Doctor who had no problem getting into Med School after his graduation. The other App grad has a marketing degree and is a part of the management team for a world renowned Equestrian operation in NCBTW, they achieved their goals

Source?
    I'll have to search it, but it was a part of a sort of a recap of how big that event wasI certainly didn't pull it out my azz

6. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I'll have to search it, but it was a part of a sort of a recap of how big that event wasI certainly didn't pull it out my azz
    . . . maybe you pulled it out your app . . .

Thanks Baw.

I hear people here say repeatedly, "We can have both." To my mind, that's just a way of saying "I don't want to prioritize academics over athletics." You said the opposite, and I appreciate that.

But the truth is, no one has both, not consistently. A lot of schools are consistently excellent at academics, but no one is consistently excellent in sports. and Michigan, Texas, and Florida are perfect examples. Each of them has more money than Croesus, but they all are inconsistent with their successes on the arena. I would suspect that LSU has had more recent sports successes than they have, but LSU is still inconsistent; and academically, we're nipping at their heels.

And then there is the problem with the word 'academics' itself. at most universities it just means 'research' and 'graduate school production.' I don't know of any metrics that look at the quality of undergraduate education, but it's something we're trying to do here. It's the sort of thing that doesn't make the publications, but it spreads by word-of-mouth.

And that's what we're looking for: slow, sustained growth. we want quality, not flash. Sports is quick success; just look at App State, Troy, and Coastal, who are enjoying athletics success, but none of whom are even R2.

Dr. Savoie said that athletics is the front porch. I wonder if he would still say that after we made R1? Because right now, he is laser-focused on academics. He loves sports, but he loves UL much, much more. and he knows what real excellence is for a university.

In addition, do we really think that athletics should be our primary marketing tool, that the best and brightest students & faculty shop for universities by their sports teams? Our students hardly even go to the games anymore; in fact, it seems that the more we win, the more our attendance drops.

IMHO, schools that see athletics as their primary marketing tool often don't have much else to brag about.

Just because we live in a state with dysfunctional ideas about higher education, doesn't mean we have to share in those dysfunctions.
    I disagree with most of what you wrote here, and much of it is wrong, but I don't feel like arguing with you on this. I think you are trying too hard to make a case for academics over sports. It's not necessary.

I'll second that.
    Agree also. For those who don’t know, we’re currently in a campaign to raise a half billion dollars in funds for the university. We’re now at a little more than $400 million.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Agree also. For those who don’t know, we’re currently in a campaign to raise a half billion dollars in funds for the university. We’re now at a little more than $400 million.
    Can some of those funds transfer to sports?

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I disagree with most of what you wrote here, and much of it is wrong, but I don't feel like arguing with you on this. I think you are trying too hard to make a case for academics over sports. It's not necessary.
    CajunFun is right in that very few schools win at a high level consistent enough to please their supporters. 50 percent of teams lose every Saturday.

12. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    CajunFun is right in that very few schools win at a high level consistent enough to please their supporters. 50 percent of teams lose every Saturday.
    . . . most who post here can’t even comprehend that concept . . . can one imagine the level of naivety required to even post a total disagreement with the indisputable observations points suggested here by Dr. Fun . . .

13. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The Pentathlam measured the winning experience.

Since then the vibe I get is that its also about the game day flow experience.

14. Default Re: Academic news from this morning

. . . most who post here can’t even comprehend that concept . . . can one imagine the level of naivety required to even post a total disagreement with the indisputable observations points suggested here by Dr. Fun . . .
    "most who post here"
    "total disagreement"

Two swings and a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Can some of those funds transfer to sports?
    It includes funds raised for athletics including the Lourdes donation to the stadium.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information