Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2023 MLB Draft

Default Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    How about for every first and second round pick the university they came from loses one scholarship slot if that player was claimed as a walkOn or partial scholarship.
    I don't understand the reasoning or purpose behind this. Why penalize a school for having an outstanding player? Pretty much the great majority of college baseball players are on partial scholarship as they have only 11.7 scholarships to give out amongst the entire team.

2. Default Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    Pretty much every college baseball player that is on scholarship only gets a partial scholarship . There are only 11.7 schollys to split among entire team each year.

Thank title 9
    Wouldn't it be nice if these lists were posted.

3. Default Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning or purpose behind this. Why penalize a school for having an outstanding player? Pretty much the great majority of college baseball players are on partial scholarship as they have only 11.7 scholarships to give out amongst the entire team.
    Because they were finagaling the system and thus getting an extra scholarship. And/or saying they are not on scholarship yet they don't really pay tuition. Scholarship #s transcend budget and are meant for competitive reasons as well. You are allowed by ncaa X # of players that are scholarship quality.

4. Default Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Compare it to football for a moment. Imagine a team has 10 players with over a million NIL. Just have the NIL payee pay the tuition as well (or deduct it from the nil) and then call those arguably best ten players on the team Waltons. Now you face a team that has 95 players scholarship worthy, seem fair?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if these lists were posted.
    It is none of your business which players get a scholarship and which don't.

6. Default Re: 2023 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    It is none of your business which players get a scholarship and which don't.
    Apparently it is none of the ncaa's either, you think they really audit?

And will it be taxpayers business when I kid qualifies for Pell grant based on parents income when he was SR in HS then makes five million but his Pell grant file doesn't get reviewed for two years and he is already gone and a pro?

7. Default Re: 2023 MLB Draft

If it was truly only about the money and not competitive advantage then why when USL tuition was only $1K a semester and tulane's was well over $10 K, why weren't we alloted ten times the scholarship slots as they were by NCAA?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I am just repeating what I heard Robe say many a times both generally and to his players . . .
    No, he was no fan of MLB scouting or scouts. MLB has a story to tell too though. A degree is usually the best option for college players. They don't always see it that way, but plenty do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information