Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

Default LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

• Alex Scarborough, ESPN Staff WriterJun 22, 2023, 01:33 PM ET

BATON ROUGE, La. -- As SEC coaches push for federal regulation regarding name, image and likeness compensation for college athletes, LSU coach Brian Kelly said Thursday that the need for action is urgent.
    "College athletics is at a crossroads if this doesn't get fixed," Kelly told ESPN.
    Kelly was among a contingent of SEC coaches and administrators who visited Washington, D.C., earlier this month to lobby for legislation to help rein in what has seemed at times like a free-for-all since the NCAA allowed athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness in 2021. Different states have imposed different NIL regulations, while the NCAA has largely steered clear of sweeping regulation.
    "We needed to do something," Kelly said of the Washington visit. "There needed to be some publicity behind it. There needed to be at least an education at the committee level where they had more than just what California is trying to do."
    Kelly questioned California's proposed bill, which would require profit sharing with athletes on revenue-producing teams, asking "Where's Title IX in all this? Where's Division II sports? Where's Division III sports?"
    If every state is tailoring bills to their own self-interest rather than the health of college athletics as a whole, Kelly said, "That's not going to work."
    The proposed California legislation, named the College Athlete Protection Act, was introduced in January and calls for major money-generating college sports teams to create a fund that would pay players a share of their teams' annual revenue, a portion of which would be held in a trust for players until they complete their degree. The bill allows schools to reallocate funds, if necessary, to make sure they are not violating Title IX rules.
    Kelly said he felt that the legislators he spoke with in Congress were receptive and understood "the message that there's a trickle-down effect."
    Kelly focused on the current NIL structure and how it threatens programs that don't produce revenue or have well-funded donors. It's a common refrain of coaches, who say the divide between the haves and have-nots is widening.
    "Look, I think, more than anything else, they hear it now -- that college sports is in jeopardy," Kelly said. "It's not just football. I didn't have to be there. [Alabama coach Nick Saban] didn't have to be there. We'll be OK. Yeah. At the end of the day, the big schools, the big oil companies, they all survive."
    A handful of bills have been under discussion, including the College Sports NIL Clearinghouse Act of 2023 sponsored by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. But given the partisan gridlock in D.C. and a general election coming up in 2024, there is reason to question the feasibility of an NIL bill coming to a vote anytime soon.
    Kelly said he was hopeful for a bill that could garner bipartisan support.
    "We'll know by August," he said. "If there's nothing on the floor or in committee by the end of July, then we'll know that they can't produce something."
    Information from ESPN's Dan Murphy was used in this report.

Default Re: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

As this goes along, more and more people are going to realize this is a zero sum game. There is no extra money. There is no extra talent. Things will be weird for the next few years as people figure it out, but in the long run, things are the same as they are now.

3. Default Re: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

. . .so, how are things now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    There is no extra money
    I disagree. CFB used to be a secretive silent auction, and you couldn't see what everyone else was bidding. Now it's a publicized silent auction with a sheet of paper showing the rising bids, which drives up the spending.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I disagree. CFB used to be a secretive silent auction, and you couldn't see what everyone else was bidding. Now it's a publicized silent auction with a sheet of paper showing the rising bids, which drives up the spending.
    I should clarify, I meant there is no extra money coming in.

I agree that everything being in the open drives the player price up. But where does that money come from? Do big donors all of a sudden increase donations by 25-50%? No, they don’t. If they give more to paying players, they’ll likely give less to the program through the normal official channels (RCAF, TAF, and similar).

Beware of the lion who is concerned about the health of the sheep. This is almost an admission that there is a flaw in the system that some really bright minded young coach from nowhere state can take advantage of to steal enough good players to make himself a name. But Kelly's right about one thing. Nothing is going to get done with this congress because they're all too busy playing grab ass & got ya with each other.

7. Default Re: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

I agree that everything being in the open drives the player price up. But where does that money come from? Do big donors all of a sudden increase donations by 25-50%? No, they don’t. If they give more to paying players, they’ll likely give less to the program through the normal official channels (RCAF, TAF, and similar).
    This system generates extra money. I would bet that Get Gordon is spending substantially more money on NIL than he was in normal channels . . . it’s not even close . . . car dealers are spending substantially more money on NIL now that they don’t have to hide it and it’s not taking away from normal channels . . . I suspect that there is very little depleting of normal ordinary channel donations but rather money is above the table rather than below the table . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Beware of the lion who is concerned about the health of the sheep. This is almost an admission that there is a flaw in the system that some really bright minded young coach from nowhere state can take advantage of to steal enough good players to make himself a name. But Kelly's right about one thing. Nothing is going to get done with this congress because they're all too busy playing grab ass & got ya with each other.
    This this and this

9. Default Re: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

. . . Weak, weak and weaker . . .

Said this months ago. UL is a microcosm, look no further than NIL explosion and the drive for stadium money.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . Weak, weak and weaker . . .
    Don't tell me you caught Charlie K's disease? Also known as posting envy disorder, or PED for short.

12. Default Re: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

It’s a constitutional right. That is all the US Supreme Court cares about and will protect . . .

13. Default Re: LSU coach Brian Kelly heightens push for federal NIL help

BWK,
    Remember when you thought Southern was gonna beat him?? That was classic

The big boys are having trouble with the system created by and for the big boys, fascinating...
    Speaking of espn, can players withhold their NIL from highlights or top ten plays without compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Good point and well said, but I am ok with congress not acting, they have more important things to work on. (Hopefully).. I wouldn't call those things grab ass, althiugh that doesnt preclude them from grab assing and playing gotcha instead

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information