Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Looking for Help .

1. Support Looking for Help .

https://gogetfunding.com/help-a-journalist-out/

My name is Caelan and I’m a journalist for the Vermilion, UL’s student newspaper. I’m looking to travel and report on all Cajuns’ games this season, and for the goal on that drive, I can do just that.

Thank you for your consideration

2. Default Re: Looking for Help

What are some highlights from your first 9 Months as a sports beat writer for Louisiana?

3. Default Re: Looking for Help

- I have written for multiple games including away games in Hattiesburg, Tallahassee and San Marcos.

- I have written stories for the newspaper, helping contribute to a team that won Best Student Newspaper Award at the 2023 Southeastern Journalism Conference in Thibodaux.

- I have built working relationships with those who are working in the communications department at Louisiana as well as other beat writers such as Kevin Foote of the Daily Advertiser.

- Most importantly, Mrs. Carolyn Broussard (may she rest in peace) helped me improve my writing skills to get me to where I am today.

4. Default Re: Looking for Help

Good stuff.

Slight correction: While Foote was at the Advertiser for a couple decades, he has been at the Advocate a little longer than you have been at The Vermilion.

Default Re: Looking for Help

Good luck, Budda!

Don't see you finding it here.

Second to last paragraph of Louisiana v Florida State -

"Simply put, the Cajuns were outclassed against the ranked Florida State, from the opening kickoff until the clock hit triple zeros. The defense allowed over 250 rushing yards, and the offense was putrid. The Seminoles completely dominated the Cajuns, and I tip my hat to them. If you’re a sports better, you should have picked the ‘Noles to win by more than 24 points."

RaginPagin is a forum of Alumni, Fans and a stopping ground of officials of the University of Louisiana, and rightfully so. Wise of you to visit us but we are not a collection of un-wise. Your words of a Program which originated over 120 years ago do not reflect the honor we hold of our treasure in Acadiana.

I hope my words strengthen and harden your focus on the mastering of your craft.

Swamp.

8. Default Re: Looking for Help

With all due respect, I was calling the game as I saw it. It was also the sentiment of watching a team I grew up with being completely outclassed. Therefore, I do stand by my statements as an ardent Cajuns fan.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCaelan04 View Post
    With all due respect, I was calling the game as I saw it. It was also the sentiment of watching a team I grew up with being completely outclassed. Therefore, I do stand by my statements as an ardent Cajuns fan.
    Seek elsewhere.

Thank you.

10. Default Re: Looking for Help

Beat writers walk a very fine line, I don't think I could do it, so hats off to anyone who tries.

That's where the art of parcing words comes in, making an accurate point and at the same time not alienating your stated audience is a wire rope act.

11. Default Re: Looking for Help

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Beat writers walk a very fine line, I don't think I could do it, so hats off to anyone who tries.

That's where the art of parcing words comes in, making an accurate point and at the same time not alienating your stated audience is a wire rope act.
    You right . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

"The Seminoles completely dominated the Cajuns, and I tip my hat to them. If you’re a sports better, you should have picked the ‘Noles to win by more than 24 points."

You will no longer see me on this site.

13. Default Re: Looking for Help

My stance is beat writers, should be cheerleaders.

But, and however, their biggest duty is relaying truth, but brutal honesty will make a paper lose readers.

Like I said, I don't think I could do it.

14. Default Re: Looking for Help

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    "The Seminoles completely dominated the Cajuns, and I tip my hat to them. If you’re a sports better, you should have picked the ‘Noles to win by more than 24 points."

You will no longer see me on this site.
    The Vermilion will miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Don't see you finding it here.

Second to last paragraph of Louisiana v Florida State -

"Simply put, the Cajuns were outclassed against the ranked Florida State, from the opening kickoff until the clock hit triple zeros. The defense allowed over 250 rushing yards, and the offense was putrid. The Seminoles completely dominated the Cajuns, and I tip my hat to them. If you’re a sports better, you should have picked the ‘Noles to win by more than 24 points."

RaginPagin is a forum of Alumni, Fans and a stopping ground of officials of the University of Louisiana, and rightfully so. Wise of you to visit us but we are not a collection of un-wise. Your words of a Program which originated over 120 years ago do not reflect the honor we hold of our treasure in Acadiana.

I hope my words strengthen and harden your focus on the mastering of your craft.

Swamp.
    Wow.

This dude is probably what, a 19 year old student?

Tim Buckley was a veteran who got PAID to cover the Cajuns athletic program, and this kid already has him beat.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information