Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Inititive

1. Support Marketing Inititive

At some point, you just realize that this school doesn’t want to be helped. You can’t help someone or something that doesn’t want to be helped.

They freeze out anything that didn’t originate inside of the camp. That’s why they fail miserably time and time again. They’d rather fail their way than succeed our way. The licensing department at UL has cost this University untold amounts of money. It really is a shame.

2. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    At some point, you just realize that this school doesn’t want to be helped. You can’t help someone or something that doesn’t want to be helped.

They freeze out anything that didn’t originate inside of the camp. That’s why they fail miserably time and time again. They’d rather fail their way than succeed our way. The licensing department at UL has cost this University untold amounts of money. It really is a shame.
    Example: "Lady Cajuns" was organic and had it's own stand alone apparel line that was making money hand over fist. I saw a document in the early 2000s. They were raking it, with unlimited future potential.

This was all under the larger Ragin' Cajuns brand mind you.

Couldn't have it. They couldn't have fans buying Ragin' Cajuns apparel and Lady Cajuns apparel, it represented to much work.

Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Example: "Lady Cajuns" was organic and had it's own stand alone apparel line that was making money hand over fist. I saw a document in the early 2000s. They were raking it, with unlimited future potential.

Couldn't have it. They couldn't have fans buying Ragin' Cajuns apparel and Lady Cajuns apparel, it represented too much work.
    I thought it was because it was deemed a sexist term for someone who didn’t want to be called “lady”. Wouldn’t surprise me nowadays but back then it would have. A Lady used to be a polite term for a female. Not so sure anymore these days with woke culture.

4. Default Re: Albineaux?

Similar to most of the posters here on RP as well. Odd that view causes consternation among like individuals

5. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    I thought it was because it was deemed a sexist term for someone who didn’t want to be called “lady”. Wouldn’t surprise me nowadays but back then it would have.
    Sec still has lady vols and lady tiguhs. Another example of good for thee but not for me

So your saying UL needs to go to branding Rehab?

7. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    I thought it was because it was deemed a sexist term for someone who didn’t want to be called “lady”. Wouldn’t surprise me nowadays but back then it would have. A Lady used to be a polite term for a female. Not so sure anymore these days with woke culture.
    Gay Nix, basketball coach had an issue with Lady.

So they dumped an entire clothing line. Something that savvy entrepreneurs crave.

So instead they went with "Women" which now had to be added in front of Ragin' Cajuns in news stories to clarify the topic. Terrible marketing.

8. Default Re: Albineaux?

They are chasing the wind with constant nomenclature refreshes.

The next generation will be just as dissatisfied with whatever they come up with today and will demand another change.

Chasing the wind.

9. Default Re: Albineaux?

One would think they would much prefer to be referred to as a “Lady” than a “Wo-man” . . . Just sayin . . .

10. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    One would think they would much prefer to be referred to as a “Lady” than a “Wo-man” . . . Just sayin . . .
    Especially at Louisiana, and this is where if Louisiana knew it's own history it would have helped.

In 1920 the Louisiana Lady Cajuns were competing in Intercollegiate Sports.

They were never the Bulldogs or any version of a dog. Always Ladies.

Anyway, in 1921 they inexplicably joined the trendy "Woman's Athletic Association." An organization which banned women from playing on the intercollegiate level for the next 50 years.

Know your history Louisiana.

Lady Cajuns Basketball is way better branding than Women Ragin' Cajuns Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Couldn't have it. They couldn't have fans buying Ragin' Cajuns apparel and Lady Cajuns apparel, it represented to much work.
    The last 3 words in your statement say it all. We don't like work around here it seems. Marketing 101 is just a dream.

12. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    The last 3 words in your statement say it all. We don't like work around here it seems. Marketing 101 is just a dream.
    They do teach Marketing 101 at Louisiana . . .

13. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    They do teach Marketing 101 at Louisiana . . .
    "Do as I say, not as I do."

I don't think they were making a lot of money off the Lady Cajun moniker. If anyone has some real data that shows they sold more products then than now, I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think so. I personally don't care one way or the other but making a statement that they gave away a lot of licensing money because of eliminating the "Lady" seems to be a stretch. Regardless, they are Ragin Cajuns and most of us can tell their gender, so we really don't need to be told.

15. Default Re: Albineaux?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I don't think they were making a lot of money off the Lady Cajun moniker. If anyone has some real data that shows they sold more products then than now, I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think so. I personally don't care one way or the other but making a statement that they gave away a lot of licensing money because of eliminating the "Lady" seems to be a stretch. Regardless, they are Ragin Cajuns and most of us can tell their gender, so we really don't need to be told.
    They were not making more money then than now!

And it is, impossible to compare a merged product line with two points of entry.

I saw the financial document and Lady Cajuns revenue was substantial for the time.

Obviously, what you had at the time were devotee's of particular sports who would buy Lady Cajuns apparel exclusively and overall fans of the school who would buy both Ragin' Cajuns and Lady Cajuns apparel.

There was no need for the latter to increase their Ragin' Cajuns purchases so all that happened after an initial bump, is one revenue stream was static and one revenue stream dried up.

Today licensing agreements, have greatly increased what it was 21 years ago, but to paraphrase what Bum Phillips, said about Chuck Muncie and apply it to Louisiana marketing

It's twice as good as it's ever been, and half as good as it should be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information