Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Congrats, Team Deggs

Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

This team was fun to watch these last few weeks. They were really clicking and competed at the highest level against 4-5 very good ballclubs multiple times. They proved that they had the talent to be up there with anyone. Definitely lines up with what many of us said the entire season. Consistency on the mound is the #1 priority this offseason. You can talk stats all you want. That's why moneyball doesn't work in the playoffs. Over 56 games, it'll get you to the postseason, but situational play is what makes and breaks teams in a tournament setting. Whether you like it or not, the number of "stress" innings that this team had to play through on top of key injuries left us with an empty gas tank. Had we bounced back and beat Miami, I'm not sure we had enough to get through Texas twice. 2 out walks, 0-2 hits/bombs, walking the first batter faced out of the pen are all things that put added stress on the roster. Leaving RISP with less than two put stress on our thin staff. I'm still not sure why Julian Brock had to catch 99% of the innings this year. That being said, Deggs took over a dumpster fire. Completed rebuild in 2021. Won conference tournament for autobid in 2022. Put together an at large team in 2023. We are headed in the right direction. Hate to lose the core we have with this team. Brock, Rocc and Hood are some dudes. Next man up. Let's see what the next step brings. Geaux Cajuns!

P.S. Daughters' dance review is usually regional weekend. May actually have to watch it instead of following games on my phone this year.....

Next year could be the magic season where we push through to Omaha! Looking forward to next season!

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    If Sources are correct, we are losing Wells. We NEED to hire a pitching coach. We do not need another hitting coach...Deggs can be hitting coach.
    By the numbers folks:

BATTING AVERAGE:
    2021-266
    2022-288
    2023-290

ERA:
    2021-3.37
    2022-4.24
    2023-4.85

As you can see, we are trending up in team BA which is always good to see however we are also trending up in team ERA which is NOT good. Deggs's philosophy may be to focus more on hitting than pitching? If memory serves me Robe's teams seemed more focused on pitching rather than hitting.
    We need a true pitching coach IMO.
    We are not operating in a vacuum. This has been the trend in college baseball, top to bottom, east to west since COVID. ERA's are way up along with offenses as players got older, playing their 5th and 6th seasons. The MLB draft got very short further flooding college baseball with offensive talent. College pitching simply did not keep up, everywhere.

We need a "true" pitching coach because we only had the 2nd best (by 0.15 run) team ERA of 14 teams in the Sun Belt? Really?

https://sunbeltsports_ftp.sidearmspo...23/lgteams.htm

We are not competing against ourselves. We play against other teams. Stats go up and down based on macro conditions. Who cares how our stats this year compared to 2021? Are you saying 2021 was a better season? I seem to recall we were not so hot, with 32 wins and no regional.

Fans tend to focus on what one team is doing, analyzing one team without the wide angle of the competitive landscape. Looking at only one team can distort the view and does not tell the whole story. You are not alone, though, even on this message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We are not operating in a vacuum. This has been the trend in college baseball, top to bottom, east to west since COVID. ERA's are way up along with offenses as players got older, playing their 5th and 6th seasons. The MLB draft got very short further flooding college baseball with offensive talent. College pitching simply did not keep up, everywhere.

We need a "true" pitching coach because we only had the 2nd best (by 0.15 run) team ERA of 14 teams in the Sun Belt? Really?

https://sunbeltsports_ftp.sidearmspo...23/lgteams.htm

We are not competing against ourselves. We play against other teams. Stats go up and down based on macro conditions. Who cares how our stats this year compared to 2021? Are you saying 2021 was a better season? I seem to recall we were not so hot, with 32 wins and no regional.

Fans tend to focus on what one team is doing, analyzing one team without the wide angle of the competitive landscape. Looking at only one team can distort the view and does not tell the whole story. You are not alone, though, even on this message board.
    The pitching in NCAA Baseball has not been as good, and I agree that the draft is partly responsible for the rise of staff Era around the country. It is also cyclical as well, the deeper the HS class is in pitching, only the cream at the top will get drafted and the rest will end in jc or college.

I brought up the pitching system because that is what Coach Rob was known for and some years we may land a Marks, Harris or Cook and other years you need to find kids that you think can pitch in your system to develop. That's how Rob explained to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Just to echo the sentiment from the start of this thread, absolute pleasure watching this team this season. Not always perfect but they came together when it mattered and made their push and made us proud. So short staffed at the end and pushed both Texas and Miami to the brink. Imagine having a Hammond, Theut, McGehee all healthy and this is a vastly different team. But that wasn't meant to be and the guys behind them stepped up.

As far as next year, I may have missed it but I didnt see an official story on the signings (usually November before season starts) which I find odd since they've been putting those out as long as I can remember. Tried to piece together what I could but I'm sure someone has a more accurate list:

Clayton Pouciau, C, Catholic BR
    Jose Torres, C, San Jacinto JC
    Thomas Couvillon, LHP, STM
    Chase Morgan, LHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Riley Marcotte, LHP, Loreauville HS
    Tate Hess, RHP, Singer HS
    Drew Kirby, RHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Johnathan Rogers, RHP, Tupelo HS (MS)
    JR Tollett, RHP, Ruston HS
    Trae Winn, RHP/INF, Ridgeland HS (MS)
    Maddox Mandino, Minden HS
    Bryan Broussard, Delgado CC (Delgado made D1 JC WS this year)
    Josh Alexander, Delgado CC
    Connor Cuff, SS, Carthage HS (won state title in FB as a QB, prototype Deggs athlete)

There's a few draft concerns I believe, but from what I can tell its a solid class.
    The Mandino kid from Minden is a lefty OF/P. He is up in the 90-92mph range, but more of a thrower than pitcher. Plus he is a much better outfielder than pitcher at this point.

Junior College Players

Bryan Broussard OF Delgado JC
    Josh Alexander OF Delgado JC
    Colton Ryals Inf/OF Pensacola State JC
    Jose Torres C San Jacinto JC
    Andrew Herrmann LHP College of Central Florida
    Phil Brennaman RHP Cloud County CC
    Patrick Vienne RHP LSU-E
    Louis-Philippe Langevin RHP Wabash Valley College

7. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Junior College Players

Bryan Broussard OF Delgado JC
    Josh Alexander OF Delgado JC
    Colton Ryals Inf/OF Pensacola State JC
    Jose Torres C San Jacinto JC
    Andrew Herrmann LHP College of Central Florida
    Phil Brennaman RHP Cloud County CC
    Patrick Vienne RHP LSU-E
    Louis-Philippe Langevin RHP Wabash Valley College
    Also:

Byrion Robinson LHP Pearl River CC
    Mathias Lacombe RHP Cochise College (a native of France)

it looks like help is on the way, if wells is in fact leaving, will be interesting to see what we do there

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Just to echo the sentiment from the start of this thread, absolute pleasure watching this team this season. Not always perfect but they came together when it mattered and made their push and made us proud. So short staffed at the end and pushed both Texas and Miami to the brink. Imagine having a Hammond, Theut, McGehee all healthy and this is a vastly different team. But that wasn't meant to be and the guys behind them stepped up.

As far as next year, I may have missed it but I didnt see an official story on the signings (usually November before season starts) which I find odd since they've been putting those out as long as I can remember. Tried to piece together what I could but I'm sure someone has a more accurate list:

Clayton Pouciau, C, Catholic BR
    Jose Torres, C, San Jacinto JC
    Thomas Couvillon, LHP, STM
    Chase Morgan, LHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Riley Marcotte, LHP, Loreauville HS
    Tate Hess, RHP, Singer HS
    Drew Kirby, RHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Johnathan Rogers, RHP, Tupelo HS (MS)
    JR Tollett, RHP, Ruston HS
    Trae Winn, RHP/INF, Ridgeland HS (MS)
    Maddox Mandino, Minden HS
    Bryan Broussard, Delgado CC (Delgado made D1 JC WS this year)
    Josh Alexander, Delgado CC
    Connor Cuff, SS, Carthage HS (won state title in FB as a QB, prototype Deggs athlete)

There's a few draft concerns I believe, but from what I can tell its a solid class.
    Will Pooch and Torres be the only 2 catchers on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Clay Wargo

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    That's up to Deggs. Wargo is eligible to return.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun1300 View Post
    Also:

Langevin is from Canada. We are going to need a roster to watch fall ball.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun1300 View Post
    Also:

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    That's up to Deggs. Wargo is eligible to return.
    OK. I thought he was a one year graduate transfer deal. Good to have an experience guy with the youngsters.

What you know about Pooch from CHSBR? All I know is his nick name and he dated one of my daughters best friends for 2 years in high school. Is he gonna be the next Brock?

Looking ahead, our next SS is in the Class of 24. Kid can flat out FLY around the bases.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information